Is using several picks stacked together a decent "cheap" way to measure action?
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
A ruler is easier, and probably just as cheap. And better, as far as accuracy.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
3rd post
: AC/DC RULES

I PUT THE FUN IN FUNERAL
I PUT THE LAUGHTER IN MAN SLAUGHTER

YAY VIOLENCE!!!

MEMBER #13 OF THE STEVE IRWIN MEMORIAL CLUB
smashingcincinnati
: AC/DC RULES

I PUT THE FUN IN FUNERAL
I PUT THE LAUGHTER IN MAN SLAUGHTER

YAY VIOLENCE!!!

MEMBER #13 OF THE STEVE IRWIN MEMORIAL CLUB
Tee hee, n00bs. But anywho, a ruler shouldn't break your bank account too bad.
i think it's easier with picks (if you know how thick they are)... i do that.
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
Quote by dbutz
3rd post

*reported

I would use a ruler to measure action, as said before me, it's far more accurate, and just as cheap
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
I simply use rulers and my nail to mark it, then lift up the ruler to see where its marked.

So what if the action is approx 2.3mm high? what'd you use if you dont have the smaller picks, and if you just wedge them in, it might pull the strings up and ur measurement is already wrong.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by mikeman
Tee hee, n00bs. But anywho, a ruler shouldn't break your bank account too bad.

It's not a question of money, moron. It's about technique of measuring because I find it easier to slide a pick right under the string instead of putting a ruler up next to it. Others I know do the same.....
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by madpickin03
I simply use rulers and my nail to mark it, then lift up the ruler to see where its marked.

So what if the action is approx 2.3mm high? what'd you use if you dont have the smaller picks, and if you just wedge them in, it might pull the strings up and ur measurement is already wrong.

I agree that it won't measure anything smaller or larger than a half millimeter if that is the size pick you are using. I am more just throwing this out there because I know a few people that use this same method and just want to get a feel for how many others do it. I have used a ruler before too but for me it seems to work OK just grabbing a few picks. Heck, when using a single .50mm pick I can ensure that my action isn't too high.
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Buy a feeler gauge at an automotive supply store. They're under $10 and the most accurate way of setting action and intonation.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
also, i saw ur other posts around here someplace. and i just wanted to add that if the action seems high to you then try to lower it. if it seems low and ur getting buzz then raise it, or
learn how to adjust the neck and how to work with the frets to eliminate any buzz thru the amp.

the numbers on companies sites are just guidelines.

get a good idea of the height, by using whatever means you have, and then go from there.

sometimes i measure neck relief with a couple of picks. but tools like feeler gauges and rulers come in handy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011