Hey, I have a problem with my tube amp. We had our first band practice ever today and I couldnt get anough volume to match my other guitarist. I have a 90s peavey bandit 112, and when I switched it to the dirty channel, I could only get enough volume when I turned the gain way up. The problem with that is I dont like much distortion at all. I heard the ibanez ts9 has very low gain, and that it is good to drive tubes on amps, but they dont have true bypass and can be better with mods. The most I would spend would be 125, and I need a good overdrive pedal with pretty low gain, can someone reccomend something? and is the TS9 really good without the mods, and I might be able to do some minor mods to make it better, so where can I find some good, easy ones.

PS I am in a computer electronics program that deals with things like this, so my teacher might be able to help me.

thanks
I didn't think the bandit was a tube amp was it? Anyway, I've found the 1x12 have a hard time in a band situation, depending on your drummers skill and the gear of the rest of your band. I really prefer at least a 2x12 for projection. Also, I don't think a TS9, modded or not, will help much with a SS. I don't think it would do what you want anyway. Try adding more mids to your EQ when you're playing live, it helps you cut thru the mix a lot better.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
My bad, its a bravo 112 not bandit. And this is my first band so we dont need the best sound right now. Once I get a better job I plan on getting a Fender deville 212
The Bandit isnt a tube amp. Its a solid state amp with Transtube technology. IMO its just a gimmick to get people to think it sounds and acts like an all tube amp...but it doesnt.

Try adding more mids like Erock said...or if it has an external speaker output jack then maybe get a cheap 1x12 cab, that way it will project more.
IC, well a TS9 or OD808 would work pretty well then on a clean channel to give you a moderate OD. I like using them on my clean channel for dirty blues tones and stuff. I prefer the 808 if you are looking for less gain, more of a vintage sound. They are both good without mods, but the mods do make them better. I was able to A/B a stock 808 and a Keeley modded 808, and the Keeley was noticably better in it's range and amount of gain. There should be plenty of mods. That Pink Queen, a mod here, probably knows at least a couple for it, he mods a lot of stuff. I know of a true bypass mod which is really simple, you just need to get a 3PDT switch and wire it in.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
You could get a MXR Micro Amp, it boosts volume a lot and doesn't really drive your amp, a TS9 or tubescreamer, fuzz, any type of distortion will add more gain than volume.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Isnt the 808 reissue expensive though? And for the true bypass it says on analogman.com that: "In order to make an Ibanez, Boss or other electronically- switched pedal true bypass, you need to drill a hole on top and mount a standard round metal stomp switch. On the TS9 there is already a small hole under the plaque on top, and there is just enough room for a switch. We also need to hot-wire the circuit so it is always ON..." sounds pretty complicated to me.
Quote by MESAexplorer
You could get a MXR Micro Amp, it boosts volume a lot and doesn't really drive your amp, a TS9 or tubescreamer, fuzz, any type of distortion will add more gain than volume.

I'll check it out, but I also want a very mild distortion.
yeah, it's not as easy on the TS9, Ibanez uses those wierd stomp switches. It's a lot easier on the Maxon units. They were the original makers for Ibanez anyway though. The TS9 is pretty much the standard, a lot of pros use it unmodded even, so I don't really know if you would "need" to modify it. However, like Mesaexplorer said, it's more of a gain booster than a volume booster, although you can set it like a clean boost. There are actual clean boosters you can use too, but it's still going to give you more gain if you are using it on your dirty channel with a tube amp. How many watts is your amp?
amp clips
amp vids
25 watts, and by the way, I'm not trying to boost the volume, more get higher volume with low overdrive. Cause the only way I can get enough volume is with lots of gain. But it just occured to me that I might be able to get some overdrive if I put the clean all the way up.
yeah, in that application, it seems like it could work. With the clean cranked, you should get some of the coveted powertube OD, and then you could add more with a pedal to taste.
amp clips
amp vids
I'd go with a Micro amp and get a tubescreamer when you actually own a tube amp, its not really gonna do much for your tone on a 25watt ss amp.

You should be worried more about tone than volume despite wanting to jam out with freinds, you will be better off in teh long run.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd go with a Micro amp and get a tubescreamer when you actually own a tube amp, its not really gonna do much for your tone on a 25watt ss amp.

You should be worried more about tone than volume despite wanting to jam out with freinds, you will be better off in teh long run.

It's a tube amp, I got mixed up with bravo and bandit because I got the amp for free, and they dont make bravos anymore. I know tone is more important, thats why I want a good overdrive.
Quote by Johnny83191
It's a tube amp, I got mixed up with bravo and bandit because I got the amp for free, and they dont make bravos anymore. I know tone is more important, thats why I want a good overdrive.

Oh, well, in that case I'd get a keely modded TS-9, or the modded DS-1 which has a little more gain which you will probably eventually grow to like.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Try a load of overdrives with your amp, see what you think.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
OK, I'll try out some different overdrives. Any suggestions? MESAexplorer, I had the DS-1 and I hated it, and the Keeley is way too expensive.
actually, only 160 with free shipping. But I am saving up for a new guitar, so after that, I just may try it.
If you buy a TS9, you only have to change 2-3 parts to make it TS808. It's VERY easy.

True bypass isn't worth it IMO.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
If you buy a TS9, you only have to change 2-3 parts to make it TS808. It's VERY easy.

Triple posting FTW!!!!!!

Ass mod.

Well if you have a tube amp and you don't like driving it, give it to me, go buy a marshall or whatever.