So, My friend and i were discussing, we both play out of tube amps, and we were wondering why is it that people use distortion/OD pedals with tube amps. Because our reasoning for using tube amps is because it gives the warm distortion, and when using a solid state distortion pedal wouldn't that only ruin the tone? Or if it doesn't then what is the point in a tube amp if the distortion pedal works just as well as the OD on the tube amp? Now we may be completely stupid here, and there could be something very basic we are missing so, but we are still confused.
Quote by waysiyem
So, My friend and i were discussing, we both play out of tube amps, and we were wondering why is it that people use distortion/OD pedals with tube amps. Because our reasoning for using tube amps is because it gives the warm distortion, and when using a solid state distortion pedal wouldn't that only ruin the tone? Or if it doesn't then what is the point in a tube amp if the distortion pedal works just as well as the OD on the tube amp? Now we may be completely stupid here, and there could be something very basic we are missing so, but we are still confused.

because some tube amps have practically no distortion, what type of amps do you guys have
Quote by waysiyem

if you have a good tube amp, you have no need for an OD pedal. i think OD pedals should be used exclusivley for SS amps. I used to feel the other way, but i realised the error of my ways....well thats my 2 cents.
Go get your shovel.
Quote by waysiyem
We both play out of marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50's

yea ive never played one but i assume they have a pretty good built in distortion where as some have practically no distortion.
I like using an OD on my lead channels to tighten everything up a little. I use my OD808 with the OD set very low, and the balance cranked up, almost like a clean boost. It really tightens up palm mutes, and adds a nice edge to the sound. I was reading an article by Andy Sneap (Nevermore, Arch Enemy, KSE, Trivium, etc.., producer), and he recommended trying it out. I've been using it ever since.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Sep 17, 2006,
I use a OD to push my Fender which is a strictly clean amp.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by SynGates7X
if you have a good tube amp, you have no need for an OD pedal. i think OD pedals should be used exclusivley for SS amps. I used to feel the other way, but i realised the error of my ways....well thats my 2 cents.

OD for SS amps?! You gotta give me some of that pot .
Yeah, use the OD on the lead channel and you'll know what ^they mean.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
use a clean boost pedal.

or use an OD pedal with the level set high, and gain/drive set low.

you use OD pedals and clean boost pedals to help the tube amp distort, not to make the distortion themselves, as a distortion pedal would do.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
because a lot of tube amps don't have an OD channel and the player wants more overdrive than they get simply through power tube distortion.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by waysiyem
our reasoning for using tube amps is because it gives the warm distortion, and when using a solid state distortion pedal wouldn't that only ruin the tone?

I don't have a massive amount of experience with tube amps, but I have owned a Laney LC30 for a while, which does nice cleans and good blues crunch/classic rock etc sounds, but doesn't really do high gain, so that's one reason to use a pedal, plus being able to get cranked sounds in situations where you can't actually crank the amp, having said that though, I have tried a couple of pedals with the amp; a Big Muff (sounded crap, wooly and undefined) and a Boss OS-2 which sounded better than the Muff and enabled me to get sharper tighter sounds, but at the expense of quite a lot of the tube niceness/warmth and dynamics, so I guess I'll just have to keep on looking for an OD pedal that will suit it, though I must say I really am starting to prefer old school tube OD/distortion to the pedal variety.
Quote by aznrockerdude
OD for SS amps?! You gotta give me some of that pot

i used an od pedal on my GK250ml's distortion channel to some rather profound results. as soon as i figure out how to record my cassette tape into my digital multitrack, i'll try to upload some clips

ummm, as to your second statement, i have barely any to spare, but at the time of this experimentation (od w/ss) i had ample amounts.
Both "overdrive" pedals and distortion pedals operate off the same solid state, silicon diode distortion. If you really want to "push" your preamp tubes, you need a signal boost pedal.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by waysiyem
We both play out of marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50's

There's your answer ! - JCM 2000 is a high-gain amp which incorporates, as far as I know, diode-clipping (Solid State distortion) in it's circuit. So you probably don't need a pedal with this one. This wouldn't necessarily hold true for other tube amps which have neither a high-gain preamp section, nor any form of clipping circuit to induce distortion.
People use OD's to push their clean amps to get some gain, to boost their overdrive channel to get more gain, and for different sounds rather than the amp's OD.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Dirk Gently
Both "overdrive" pedals and distortion pedals operate off the same solid state, silicon diode distortion. If you really want to "push" your preamp tubes, you need a signal boost pedal.

yes, but:

if you set the level high and gain/drive control low, you're upping the signal, rather than getting most of the distortion from the diode clipping inside the pedal- so you're boosting the preamp tubes and helping them distort more easily (as well as a tiny bit of added gain coming from the pedal).

also, some overdrive pedals (klon centaur!) are clean boosts if you set the controls a certain way (gain at minimum, tone at 12 o'clock, level to taste).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?