ok so im looking at the gfs crusader and gfs paf crunchy and they both say like wired for coil tapping...what is coil tapping and how do i do it?
that probably means it's a four wire humbucker, which is necessary for coil tapping. coil tapping essentually turns your humbucking pickup into a single coil pickup by flipping a switch. what you do is take an spst on/off switch. two of the wires coming off the pickup should be soldered together. take those wire and run them to one of the lugs of the switch. run a wire from the other lug to ground. flip the switch and wo-la, a single coil pickup.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
thank you
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by shredmeiser101
that probably means it's a four wire humbucker, which is necessary for coil tapping. coil tapping essentually turns your humbucking pickup into a single coil pickup by flipping a switch. what you do is take an spst on/off switch. two of the wires coming off the pickup should be soldered together. take those wire and run them to one of the lugs of the switch. run a wire from the other lug to ground. flip the switch and wo-la, a single coil pickup.

no thats coil splitting
i dont know what exactly coil tapping is but they are 2 different things
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
many people get coil tap and coil split usually mixed up. i think coil split is when you have 2 single coils to make a humbucker and where one of the coils turns off while the other is left on. Coil tap is where you can choose to use all the winding in the pickup or just use some of the windings of the pickup.
They both have similar results. Before tap or split the pickup has higher output and a fatter sound. When the pickup is tappped or split the it has a lower output and a softer sound.
edit: also i think coil tap can apply to single coil, p90 and some humbuckers.
oh yeah, i never used gf pickup but used pickup with the coil split and i think also with the coil tap function.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Last edited by GnGonzalesjoe at Sep 17, 2006,