I have been trying to learn the solo to Children of Bodom's song Mask of Sanity but i cant do it! The way i am practicing it is piece by piece, i will learn one part of the solo and once im am up the speed and have mastered it then i will move onto the next part. But i have been practicing it for about 2 months now and i just CANT DO IT! For 1-3 hours a day every day just practicing it over and over slow and fast. Its pretty much all i do when i pick up my guitar now (except when im making riffs for my band). Im have been trying to get it for so long that im actually getting sick of even hearing the solo. I actually considering moving onto another solo i have been wanting to try and nail (Necrophagist's Foul Body Autopsy). Now i know that these solos (if you have heard them) are amazingly fast and technical but i just want to be able to play them To kind of prove to myself that i can and its killing me to think im giving up so easily.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has had this sort of problem and if it ever took you guys this long to master a difficult solo. Im not going to give up just yet but i just feel that my fingers literally can not go that fast. My fingers know where all the notes are and the positions to be in at the right times but i just cant do it the speed of the song.

Thanks.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
I have the exact same problem, with like 5 songs. I KNOW how to play it, I just cant get my fingers in the right place that fast.
all in good time man
the best advice i can give you is take it slow, practice it a bunch of times and sooner or later you will get it
if you get tired of trying to learn it, move on and come back to it in a few months, you will be surprised how much you have gotten better, ans how much easier it will be to learn it
i really hate to be negative, but alexi from COB dropped out of school to play guitar all day, every day, and thats all hes done since :P. I know your trying hard but almost all children solo's are hard even for really advanced players. you might invest in one of those things that slows the song down but keeps the same pitch. good luck
on a topic of how you would like to be buried...

Quote by Jacob6293
in a coffin, underground, next to my wife.

Quote by tylerishot
Me too. But only if she's alive.

Just put the guitar down, I mean if you can't play that solo, then you just shouldn't play at all. Or at least that's what Petrucci told me to do.
^

anyways, just maybe learn some easier stuff in between sessions of praciticing the song. It could be that you are not yet physically capable of playing that solo at its normal speed.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by the_man101
if you get tired of trying to learn it, move on and come back to it in a few months, you will be surprised how much you have gotten better, ans how much easier it will be to learn it

Yeah i guess your right. I remember trying to learn how to play Crazy Train when i first started playing and i couldn't get it worth ****. Then a couple months later i tried it again and realised how much i have improved. I guess putting the solo down for a while might help. Im still going to try Necrophagist's solo though (even if i wont be able to play that all the way up to speed it will help me with technique).

Quote by BlinkrOck!
I really hate to be negative, but alexi from COB dropped out of school to play guitar all day, every day, and thats all hes done since :P.

I know. I actually kinda have respect for him because of that (not that im saying school is a bad thing).

P.S. Also another reason im trying to not quit the solo is that fact that i told one of my friends that i was learning it. Well he told another friend and another and for some strange reason the rumor around my group of friends is that i can actually PLAY the solo all the way through perfectly, witch i cant! Now they think im the best guitarist they know (when they havent even seen me play the ****in solo!).
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?