I think i am a rather accomplished guitar player i can play crazy riffs like lamb of god and im in a band writing music. i can do all these other things but can't do sumn so simple as a squeal on a guitar. Killswitch engage duz this alot in there songs and i think it sounds rele good so can sum1 help me out.
its called pinch harmonics
if you search around on UG they have a few videos that teach you how to do it
Using the higher notes you hit the string with the pick and imeadiately hit it with the flesh of your thumb. You need to put your thumb very close to the edge of the pick.
I think what you want to do is a pinch harmonic.

What you do is hold your thumb close to the edge of the pick, so immediatly after you pick your thumb hits the string, the string should be "pinched" in between your pick and your thumb for a split second.
^doesnt need to be a high note. if you work on it, you can get it from teh lower strings.
you need to angle youre hand, so that the flesh brushes against the string, directly after the pick has done so. the angle of youre thumb can affect teh tone of your "wail".
its frustrating to learn, but quite a lot of fun once youve done so.
And if you were a skilled guitarist you would most probably already know how to do it.
Dimebag Darrell used it alot.
try learning how to play Cemetery Gates by Pantera after you figure out how to do 'em P.H.
...And The Nominees Are
question... when you pick, do you have to have your hand in a specific place? I was told that you needed to pick 12 frets up from whatever note you're fretting... and if the 12 frets up happens to be off the fretboard you still play it in that area... true?
Yeah, the actual location of frets has to do with string length so if it's beyond your highest fret you extrapolate where it is.
Quote by Jandy
question... when you pick, do you have to have your hand in a specific place? I was told that you needed to pick 12 frets up from whatever note you're fretting... and if the 12 frets up happens to be off the fretboard you still play it in that area... true?

I can squeal and i never pay any attention to where my right hand is.

When you pick up 12 frets that is artificial harmonics, which is completely different and will probally confuse you.

When you pick you want the skin of your thumb to hit the string right after the pick does, Its one of those things that just will happen one day.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

well pinch harmonics are the best way to, but you could try analy raping your guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
just for me... what kind of harmonic is it when you lighty graze your fretting fingers over certain frets on the acoustic to get that harmonic sound? if you listen to "emily" by from first to last you can hear it, ive been using it lately aswell...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
^^ natural harmonics..
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
Quote by Jandy

With pinch harmonics, you pinch in different places. Should give you a different pitch each time depending on how you do it and where you do it.
just choke up on th epick and start messin around, it shhould be a pretty agresive pick. try turning your wrist and stuff like that eventually youll find where it squeels. Billy Gibbons of ZZ top does a lot of that stuff.
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
-Emiliano Zapata