I have a 150watt Mesa Boogie triple channel Triple Rectifier and now I'm looking for a cab to go with it. Is my best bet a 4x12 RECTO standard (what's produced by MB I believe to go with the rectifier)? Is there a difference between the slant and the straight version? If so, what?
slant is just meant to go on top when you have 2 in a full stack. For cabs, of course the Recto cab kicks ass, but I've also played a Trec through a Marshall 1960AV 4x12 w/V30's, and it sounded killer. Nice and tight lowend, with great thump and midrange. It seemed to balance well with the huge lowend of the recto head. Definitely try it out first if you can, but the safe bet is the recto obviously. There is OS and standard though, with the OS being bigger with more lowend. Most people prefer the standard because of the already huge lowend on the rectifier.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
yeah ones straight ones slant. slant you can hear yourself better cuz the speakers point up a little
Carvin
Orange
Marshall
Mesa
Mills Acoustics

Straight cabinets are heavier, have a little bit more bass, but have more of a straightforward projection instead of spreading the sound around. I put some rubber feet or peg thingys on the side of my slant cabinet so i can put it on the ground on its side to send some sound to the other side of the audience.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
So getting a slant when I only have one isn't a bad thing though?

When you say OS has more lowend just how much more lowend does it have? I've found what I think is a great deal on an OS, but I won't get it if a standard's better. I'll be playing mostly metal (death and black metal).

About how much do the standard and OS go for (both new and used)?
Quote by WNxScythe
So getting a slant when I only have one isn't a bad thing though?

When you say OS has more lowend just how much more lowend does it have? I've found what I think is a great deal on an OS, but I won't get it if a standard's better. I'll be playing mostly metal (death and black metal).

About how much do the standard and OS go for (both new and used)?

Its more of low end headroom, an undersized cabinet will kinda get a little bit farty with a lot of bass while an oversized one will handle the bass better and add a little bit more.

To keep the idea of cabinets simple, a completely sealed cabinet sounds better than one wiht ports or openings, I don't care what Genz Benz says about the G-flex, they don't have as much bass as an OS cab.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Its more of low end headroom, an undersized cabinet will kinda get a little bit farty with a lot of bass while an oversized one will handle the bass better and add a little bit more.

To keep the idea of cabinets simple, a completely sealed cabinet sounds better than one wiht ports or openings, I don't care what Genz Benz says about the G-flex, they don't have as much bass as an OS cab.

Ok just as long as the bass isn't overpowering. Black metal is more high end/gain so I don't wanna screw that up by getting a really bassy cab.
Your bass is gonna have most to do with your EQ than the cabinet.

If you using a scooped setting, try a mid boosted setting
Treble 10 Mid 5-10 (adjust as though its the bass knob) Bass 4-5

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Ok... I was just reading some reviews on Harmony Central and while most are all positive a few concerned me:

I think this thing sounds pretty crappy. I switch between a Mesa Boogie dc-3 shorthead and a Mesa Tremoverb combo. I thought it would beef up the dc-3 and it just made it more brittle and harsh. THe tremoverb is less clear that it was before. I thought for sure when I bought this that I was gonna love it. I was very wrong. I switched back to the cab that I used before which was a custom built Collins 2x12 with Celestion 75's in it. That cab is awesome. It is made from SOLID birch, no plywood. IT was so much clearer and bigger sounding than the mesa recto crap, I mean cab. I don't know why people like them so much. I am currently selling it.

Totally unnatural one trick pony. This is a follow-up to my prior review from 2003. I see some players agreed to subjectively review the cabinet and considered the limitations of the V-30 Celestion in their reviews. I am amending my review to include some further V-30 bashing. The cone doping and resultant damping in the volumetric Recto cabinet work but only as a the aforementioned one trick pony. IMHO the V-30 is a pre-Celestion G30H abortion project. Celestion spent too much money and time trying to design a "modern-vintage" driver and it failed. They tried to pull the plug but had to sell the unwanted motherload of crap to Mesa who had the marketing muscle to hype it in the Recto product, mainly nu-metal one hit wonders, appealing to teen-agers with deep wallet parents. Black Shadows did not a MESA make. Neither do V-30s.

I'm sure some of you are offended now my apologies. BTW the mids I speak of are unnatural due to the doping. The freqencies I measured with a meter and tone generator were off the 4-6khz that you hear in every great guitar recording ever made from the beginning of time. It is a very artificial mid and not WARM at all. Think of it as a Solid State tranistor tone that is accurate at some frequencies (like "doped" bass and edgy mids) but sterile. Using Mesa's unmusically overpowered flat sounding heads with scooped out mids works. Using anything else and you will not like it.

prs custom 22 with dragon 2 pickups. used with varios amps, mesa mark 4, line 6 hd147, carvin something? diezel herbert. e.q. in fx loop with bass and highs turned up slightly. i got this cab to play down tuned (C)metal. these cabs are supposed to be able to handle massive low end, and they do NOT. tried it out for a month and it farts out way to much, every low chunk sound just farts. ive played my set up through crate cabs that are half the price and they handled the low end just fine. i think its the vintage 30s. these arent made to handle that much low end. i also have 2 traditional mesa 4x12 cabs and they dont handle low end well either but have a much fuller sound than the recto cabs. i was very disappointed with this cab, returned it to guitar center. am going to try vht fat bottomed cab.

Okay I have waited years to buy this cab. Read all the reviews seen all the players using it and totally had my heart set on this being the "ultimate" guitar cab. Unfortunately for me I was very very wrong. I don't know what the hell is with those Vintage 30's but to my ears they are one of the most unmusical and muffled sounding speakers ever created. Players simply MUST be using replacement G12T-75s to get good sounds out of these cabs. I have a home made 2x12 half back cab with G12T-100s hooked up in parallel (4ohms) using gold plated connectors and audiophile grade heavy duty speaker cable. This little monster sounds SO much better than the Mesa cab for both clean and distorted tones. I feel shattered - this mesa cab was supposed to be THE best cab. I have listened to the speakers on the celestion website and basically the V 30s sound exactly like what you hear there. I thought those setting were done with some amp on like 1/4 - 1/3 gain and was like "well these are by all accounts the BEST speakers ever made and I'll just dial them in right myself". No ammount of tweaking my Mesa Nomad head could get rid of that woody, nasal muffled sound. It is as if these speakers are sucking the life out of my amp (and yes, all connections are correct). If I can I'll post some sound files with the same amp setting so you can see what I mean. Not happy. I am able to get usable clean sounds (which are still eclipsed by my home made 2x12) and some distorted solo sounds are a little smoother than the G12T-100s. But as far as powerchord distortion goes this cab is just lifeless and bland. Like you're listening to it through a wall.

In particular there seems to be alot of criticism of the V30 speakers. Is this warranted? I'm about to dish out 600-900 bucks on this thing, I want to be sure it's right. (and no I can't go to a shop I don't have a car, I'm at college, and I have zero time).
The Mesa Cabinet is a good cab, very good cab. Adam Jones, Metallica, Dream Theater will all agree. The Celestion V-30 is a great speaker, very smooth, warm sounding. Its in Deizel, Mesa, Orange, Marshall, Carvin, B-52 (hiher end), and a buttload more brands. The G12T is more of a metal type speaker, made for rock, while the V-30 can be put in anything and sound good.

You could get a very nice Carvin V-3 cabinet for $500, or a Buddah 212 for $650 as an alternative to the mesa cabinet. Mesa is generally a Metal amp, the cabinet is gonna be based more on killing babies instead of playing with kittens. Its more of whatever style of music floats your boat.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectum-frier! Had to say it. Bye now.
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Triple Rectifier through a standard Marshall 1960A sounds AMAZING.

I love it...
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
^ are you sure thats not just because its what you have?

Ive tried my Triple through many cabs...the Standard Recto 4x12 is just the best all around IMO. Plus, cosmeticly...it makes sense lol
^

No...it's because I thought it sounded the best.

I have it..because I thought it sounded the best.

I tried Mesa Cabs, avatar cabs...and many more..the marshall just sounded the best.
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
So are these claims that the 4x12 recto cab sounds like it's being played 'through a wall' and that it farts in low tunings (like c, which I play some of my metal in) not true?
^ i wouldnt say they are...Ive cranked my halfstack loud in drop C and it all held up very well.
behringer cabs. they aren't too lvoed, but they sound great. VERY low bottom end good balanced mids and trebly highs. the ultimate metal cab.
Quote by Dyaxe666
behringer cabs. they aren't too lvoed, but they sound great. VERY low bottom end good balanced mids and trebly highs. the ultimate metal cab.

I agree 100% dude. My Behringer (slant) cab is right next to my Mesa cab...and I hooked both up...the Berhinger obviously doesnt come close to the Mesa cab..BUT it DOES sound awesome for what I payed for it. VERY good cabs for metal, they handle the low end of the Trecto very well.