Hey all...

I've just started practicing after being incapacitated for a year and half by tendonitis (well actually it was caused by a mental condition... weird) and anyways I can't remember how to tune my RG550. In high school my dad always helped me out with it but now I'm on my own. I want to learn anyways. Does anyone know of some step-by-step guide I can find online to help me out (for those who don't know... the RG550 has a floyd rose tremolo system which makes it a pain to tune)? Also what's the best electronic tuner out there (I like to get it perfect the first time so I don't do it just by ear)

P.S If you have carpal tunnel or tendonitis or RSI, PM me and I'll send you in the right direction to get better.
If it's only a little bit off, there's fine-tuners near the bridge... the little things you turn. Those will change the intonation a little bit. But if it's REALLY off, which I'm guessing it is, you need to get the right size of allen wrench for the lock tuning nut and undo those, and then tune it with the pegs, and then tighten up the nut again.

Hope that helps.
strings are tuned in 4ths, so the 4th note of you E chord will be in tune with the open string below.
Quote by Bristlehead
If it's only a little bit off, there's fine-tuners near the bridge... the little things you turn. Those will change the intonation a little bit. But if it's REALLY off, which I'm guessing it is, you need to get the right size of allen wrench for the lock tuning nut and undo those, and then tune it with the pegs, and then tighten up the nut again.

Hope that helps.

I know the basics... I guess I just want advice on getting it done in less than 3 hours. Last time me and my dad worked on it it took a while because whenever you chance one string it affects the others.
if you're not too far out of tune, then do this: tune the low E, then the A. Now go back and retune E and A and tune D. Go back, retune E A D and tune G, etc. works pretty well.

Otherwise, you can overtune. Tune each string sharp, beginning with the low E (should be at least a step sharp), with each string being progressively less sharp and the high E being tuned to pitch. Takes a little while to get used to this way, but works as well.

Go to the tech section of www.ibanezrules.com if that didn't help.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by WNxScythe
I know the basics... I guess I just want advice on getting it done in less than 3 hours. Last time me and my dad worked on it it took a while because whenever you chance one string it affects the others.

yea thats to be expected on a floating bridge
Someone suggested to me when I asked this question to only take off one string at a time so that you do not lose all your string tension.
Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licensed Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic