Page 1 of 2
I personally think that Punk rock music should not bitch about politics.
Most people think that all punk bands talk about politics and thats complete bull****.
Just because whiney pussy wannabee punk bands like green day says they hate Bush doesn't mean that you should too. (Although I really don't like him). I expecially hate it when good punk bands start getting in to it after they released albums with no songs about politics.
i hate people who bitch about bands who sing about politics. let them sing about whatever they want. if you don't like it, don't listen to it.
Punk rock is political. End of story. No one cares what you think.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by whyvern
Punk rock is political. End of story. No one cares what you think.

Your opinion about punk holds no water. wanna know how? From your favorite groups: Misfits, Tool, Oingo Boingo You probably arent into punk.
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
Your opinion about punk holds no water. wanna know how? From your favorite groups: Misfits, Tool, Oingo Boingo You probably arent into punk.

What is it with this forum and sweeping generalizations. You know three of his bands and you already know everything? I think not. There's no problem with not liking political punk. Political expression is a HUGE part of the music, but there is nonpolitical punk, and it's okay that that stuff may be all he likes.
Live fast, die young.
Thats why he said PROBABLY.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Even if the music isn't political. Punks are, and should be. It's a part of the lifestyle. Even in drunk punk rock towns like Chattanooga, people make an attempt to make the world a better place. It's more than just rebellion, it's an alternative lifestyle.
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Thats why he said PROBABLY.

The word probably hardly writes off the generalization. It's the intent and emphasis. Trust me, he clearly wasn't drilling down on the "probably"
Live fast, die young.
Quote by mericlepunk

Music is an abstract concept, and therefore cannot bitch about anything. Congratulations, you got your wish. You are free to leave this forum now. Bye.
Its sad how many people try to act real hard in topics like this.

The topic starter was making a legitimate thread. Punks and politics. Somehow everyone finds a way to bash this dude.

Punx could play music about anything they want. Because he doesn't like a certain subject on songwrite doesn't mean he's an idiot. ' You can't have an opinion ' said a poster. AAahahahaHAhaha.

Grow up guys.
seriously though, the great majority of punk is political. hell, the song that got punk well-known is politically-moticated. so, no, punks shouldn't stop bitching about politics.

^^ punks should also stop spelling punks "punx"
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by sargasm
Music is an abstract concept, and therefore cannot bitch about anything. Congratulations, you got your wish. You are free to leave this forum now. Bye.

that was probably the funniest thing i've heard all week.

i think the point that the threadstarter is trying to make is about bands tryin to sound like they're politically involved as part of a fad, which i agree with. dont care what style of music it is, you should only write about what you beleive or like, not just cos a certain themes expected. there has been a bit of an influx of blatant generalisations towards george bush through alot of songs, it just seems as though thats become the new cool thing to hate. if you hate him, i don't care same as if you like him, but i just hope that if any of you include him in a song you've written you're a little less general then just **** bush oi oi oi. i may have said this before, but an underinformed political band makes for worse listening then anything.
are there any horse socks? is anyone listening to me?
Everyone should be political to an extent. You should know what your Senators, Congressmen, President, and everyone else involved is doing. And if ya don't like it, vote them out. If you sit on your ass and do nothng, then it just keeps happening. Even if you can't find a candidate that stands for everything you believe in, then find the closest one and vote. And remember, its not just the president that makes the decisions. Congress and the Senate have shot down alot of what the President has tried to pass. And some of it would have helped the country. So its not always his fault. Take a US Govt. class and learn how it all works. Listen to talk radio and hear what different politicians are doing that the general media won't mention.

The House of Represntatives and the Senate both are guilty of causing as much or more havoc as Bush or any other President has. So watch those guys too.

As far as political music, its been happening as far back as there's been governments. So deal with it, or turn it off.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Punk can talk about whatever it wants, NEARLY every punk band has a song about politics.....is that a horrible thing?
ANd i'm not bashing you, u have every right to say whatever you want about punk
BUT! I know they're nmot respected much in this forum, but green day are NOT wannabes. Call them whastever they want, but wannabes is the wrong word. They've been around longer than most of us's age
Quote by Adarsh
Punk can talk about whatever it wants, NEARLY every punk band has a song about politics.....is that a horrible thing?
BUT! I know they're nmot respected much in this forum, but green day are NOT wannabes. Call them whastever they want, but wannabes is the wrong word. They've been around longer than most of us's age

Most of your ages. Not mine.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Quote by Adarsh

They're punk wannabes and that's bad enough.

It's growing increasingly tiresome that thread starters use Green Day as an example.
Quote by ss311
They're punk wannabes and that's bad enough.

It's growing increasingly tiresome that thread starters use Green Day as an example.

Didnt Green Day start off as some thrashy punk band? In that case, you cant call someone a wannabe if they were that before...

But I agree. Green Day should stay out of this forum as much as possible.

And I think political music is a good thing. Music is about expressing yourself, and if you have a political viewpoint theres nothing wrong with expressing it in a song.

I personally think the DKs wouldnt be half as awesome if they werent political.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by pistols
seriously though, the great majority of punk is political. hell, the song that got punk well-known is politically-moticated. so, no, punks shouldn't stop bitching about politics.

^^ punks should also stop spelling punks "punx"

Heh. I do it on habit. I do it for my bands logo, OC SKAPUNX

Sorry.
Quote by Adarsh

is there any DIY punk rock in the UAE?
My favourite three bands are Anti-flag, Strike Anywhere and The Unseen so I s'pose I'm gonna be pro-political music, seeing as though that's what got me started listening to punk rock altogether...
Threadstarter, what would you prefer punks bitch about?
I enjoy political music. Bands like Rage Against The Machine and Anti-Flag are what got me into politics.
Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
Everyone should be political to an extent. You should know what your Senators, Congressmen, President, and everyone else involved is doing. And if ya don't like it, vote them out. If you sit on your ass and do nothng, then it just keeps happening. Even if you can't find a candidate that stands for everything you believe in, then find the closest one and vote. And remember, its not just the president that makes the decisions. Congress and the Senate have shot down alot of what the President has tried to pass. And some of it would have helped the country. So its not always his fault. Take a US Govt. class and learn how it all works. Listen to talk radio and hear what different politicians are doing that the general media won't mention.

The House of Represntatives and the Senate both are guilty of causing as much or more havoc as Bush or any other President has. So watch those guys too.

As far as political music, its been happening as far back as there's been governments. So deal with it, or turn it off.

Quote by raise_the_dead
Didnt Green Day start off as some thrashy punk band? In that case, you cant call someone a wannabe if they were that before...

They started out poppy in a different way than they are now. Their first album is more like Ramones type poppy, while their newer stuff is more like Blink 182 type poppy.
wow...everyone chill out, punk rock was started around politics...but personally i dont care. let them sing about what they want...i mean, its their music not yours
poly-
pref.
More than one; many; much: polyatomic.

tick (tk)
n.
Any of numerous small bloodsucking parasitic arachnids of the family Ixodidae, many of which transmit febrile diseases, such as Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease.

Politics are more than one blodsucking parasitic arachnid.
I'm not trying to stop punk bands from singing about politics I'm just posting an opinion. And half of you (the posers and losers who have no life but to make fun of 15 year olds) are making a big deal of this. A lot of good punk bands do sing about politcs, it doesn't mean I don't like them. And for that one dude who said because I listen to Misfits, Tool and Boingo, just because my three favorite bands aren't punk rock (the misfits are a bit) doesn't mean I don't listen to it. I've been listening to Bad Religion all my life. I also am going to see Rancid on the 8th and The Adicts on the 21st (october).

And might I add a "Holy **** your so retarded" to the people who are defending Green Day and calling them punk rock and not a bunch of wannabee's.
^man now your the one handin out petty insults. n most of these people are teenagers themselves.
Quote by Adarsh
kinda
there's one or 2 bands around, one that i might be joining
any special reason for the question?

I'm interested in the worldwide DIY punk rock community. My friend in Saudi Arabia told me that there's nothing like the kind of music I'm into in Saudi and the UAE, but I knew there had to be.

We should do a split tape or something. If you do get a band recorded send it to me or Maximum Rocknroll. They'll go ape**** over that.
Quote by sargasm

Politics are more than one blodsucking parasitic arachnid.

Oh, so that's what punks like to sing about?

Jeez.
tod is definately a punk. he wears silver and gold safety pins
Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
Most of your ages. Not mine.

nor mine

Quote by mericlepunk

Not bitch, commentate. Although social commentary is not limited to the punk genre and neither is the punk genre limited to social commentary-they have been known to hold hands in the playground. Its part of our history and our culture. There is a good deal of thanks owed to the punk bands who eduated youths, encouraged interest and all to a 4:4 beat and a couple of bottles of beer. Its genious. there are some fantastic bands who dont sing about politics as a general rule, and there are some bands who have really changed peoples lives and outlooks with the words they scream on a friday night down the backstreet local in a sweaty dimlit room.

Quote by mericlepunk
Just because whiney pussy wannabee punk bands like green day says they hate Bush doesn't mean that you should too. (Although I really don't like him).

So you're basing your entire arguement on a personal dislike for a mainstream rock band? and your very right, just because a band has a view doesnt mean you're forced to follow that route too-i'm in love with animal-fanatic-hardcore-veggies Riot/Clone and im still sitting here tucking into a bacon buttie. I recognise their point of view and theyre more than welcome to it, but im also capable of making my own decisions. As is everyone else.

Quote by mericlepunk
I expecially hate it when good punk bands start getting in to it after they released albums with no songs about politics.

Well, lets take for example, the twin towers event. The majority of people rarely discussed the twin towers before some twats got together and crashed their planes into them. The catastrophy ignited public interest, and contrary to popular beliefs, rockstars and musicians are still members of the public. This interest was evident in the music. I'm aware of the so called "charity for fame syndrome" where gimmick hungry puppets release a record and cash in on tragedies. But why tar all musicians with the same brush? I dont think this rule applys to the majority.
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Page 1 of 2