I want to upgrade my processor, and my motherboard
will these two be compatible and how hard will it be to intsall. (installing xp)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=amd&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
how is getting an AMD upgrading?
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
from a 1.6 ghz celeron it is quite an upgrade to a dualcore
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
AMD kick ass for gaming.

thats a good processor too. get the Asus AN8 SLI deluxe. but only if you are using a Nvidia card. ATI won't work with those.

i have a AMD Atalon 64 3700 venice core (stock 2.0 GHz) and I'm overclocking it too 2.57GHz, 1GB of low latency memory, 10,000 RPM hard drive and a 256MB Nvidia Gefore 7600GS graphics card. mother board is a Asus AN8 SLI deluxe.

fast as hell, it can run any game (battlefield 2 for example) on high settings with 90-100 frames per second.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
sweet
im juts sick of this pos celeron
i just want to multitask without slowdowns...
btw what is overlock and how do you do it?
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
overclocking is when you run the memory, bus and clock speeds higher than your stock settings. it gives you preformance, but it heats up your system and if you don't have adiquite cooling it may destroy your processor and other things.

to do it you have to go into the BIOS at startup. Asus has its own overclocking software called jumperfree (in the BIOS under the DRAM config) don't go to overboard unless you know what your doing and you have ALOT of cooling, (i have an upgraded heatsink and 6 case fans) and i'm pushing my system. you might be able to do it a little bit with stock system cooing but don't go overboard like i did. go from aout 2.0GHZ to about 2.23GHZ.

that should work.

there is this cool message board, computerforums.org - you can read a few how-to posts there, you should sign up too. i'm there with my UG username stonyman65.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
so wait how would i do it again?
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
go into the BIOS at startup, select memory config, go into DRAM config, go to Jemperfree and you'll see a thing that says overclocking, go to that an go auto, the option should be able to work not and select the proper precentage that you want to overclock, i'd go with the lowest precent for starters and work your way up untill you can get your system running faster but remaining stable at the same timw (thats where the extra cooling comes in)

BTW overclocking is only really used for gaming, If you just doing normal stuff like word docs or inter net or what ever the AMD dual core is more than adiquite.

my CPU is rated at 3.7GHz on Intel's scale - a Dual core 3800X2 like the one your getting will clock at about 4GHz.

the thing with intel and amd is that AMD processors are faster and have a bigger cache, but a lower clock speed - thats why a 2.0GHz AMD single core is equivalent to a 3.7 GHz pentium or intel.

dual core just means it using two cores so, it like having two processors than one so multipy your clock speed by 2 so a 2GHz dual core would be as fast as a 4GHz single core processor.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
go into the BIOS at startup, select memory config, go into DRAM config, go to Jemperfree and you'll see a thing that says overclocking, go to that an go auto, the option should be able to work not and select the proper precentage that you want to overclock, i'd go with the lowest precent for starters and work your way up untill you can get your system running faster but remaining stable at the same timw (thats where the extra cooling comes in)

BTW overclocking is only really used for gaming, If you just doing normal stuff like word docs or inter net or what ever the AMD dual core is more than adiquite.

my CPU is rated at 3.7GHz on Intel's scale - a Dual core 3800X2 like the one your getting will clock at about 4GHz.

the thing with intel and amd is that AMD processors are faster and have a bigger cache, but a lower clock speed - thats why a 2.0GHz AMD single core is equivalent to a 3.7 GHz pentium or intel.

dual core just means it using two cores so, it like having two processors than one so multipy your clock speed by 2 so a 2GHz dual core would be as fast as a 4GHz single core processor.

how the hell do i go to bios at startup?
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
?????

it depends on your system but you should press F12 key and it should bring you right in.

are you building a new PC or what? i need the details man, I don't want you doing this if you don't know what to do - you could seriously ****up your computer and those two parts on Newegg your asking about aren't no crappy walmart stuff either.

and if your gonna try this on an intel chipset, don't even try b/c those bastards at intel blocked overclocking and you need to alter your motherbaord before you could do any of that type stuff.

and thats why I say INTEL SUCKS!

BTW what are you gonna use this system for anyways? if you have special needs I could probobly help you pick out some hard ware or something, I built my compter from scratch so I know what you'll need for certain things.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
AMD kick ass for gaming.

thats a good processor too. get the Asus AN8 SLI deluxe. but only if you are using a Nvidia card. ATI won't work with those.

i have a AMD Atalon 64 3700 venice core (stock 2.0 GHz) and I'm overclocking it too 2.57GHz, 1GB of low latency memory, 10,000 RPM hard drive and a 256MB Nvidia Gefore 7600GS graphics card. mother board is a Asus AN8 SLI deluxe.

fast as hell, it can run any game (battlefield 2 for example) on high settings with 90-100 frames per second.

No i'm pretty sure ATI works on the A8N sli boards, unless something has changed in the last couple of months. The only thing you cant do on those boards is use crossfire (2 ATI graphic cards running at the same time). Anyways just make sure the board can fit your case. What kind of computer are you upgrading? If it's a dell then the motherboard won't fit, they get custom size motherboards for their systems. not sure if it is the same for the other comp manufacturers.

EDIT: The new Core 2 Duo's from intel kick the shit outta AMD. The new line is a major step up from the Pentium 4. So right now intel isn't a bad choice either.

EDIT: I find it hard to believe you can get 90-100 fps on Battelfield 2 with just 1 gig of ram.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Last edited by Funkbass796 at Sep 17, 2006,
Quote by stonyman65
?????

it depends on your system but you should press F12 key and it should bring you right in.

are you building a new PC or what? i need the details man, I don't want you doing this if you don't know what to do - you could seriously ****up your computer and those two parts on Newegg your asking about aren't no crappy walmart stuff either.

and if your gonna try this on an intel chipset, don't even try b/c those bastards at intel blocked overclocking and you need to alter your motherbaord before you could do any of that type stuff.

and thats why I say INTEL SUCKS!

BTW what are you gonna use this system for anyways? if you have special needs I could probobly help you pick out some hard ware or something, I built my compter from scratch so I know what you'll need for certain things.

alright thanks man..

i bought a crap computer like 4 years ago and i have been doing uprgrades to it..(dvd,hard drive tons of more ram).. but the point is that i have a integrated graphicks card, and a slow as hell celeron.. i dont want to but a whole nother computer, but just uprgrade my mobo and cpu..this seems like a perfect cpu because i do alot of audio/video recording/editing, and other things that needs a faster processor..
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
Quote by Chromeproguitar
alright thanks man..

i bought a crap computer like 4 years ago and i have been doing uprgrades to it..(dvd,hard drive tons of more ram).. but the point is that i have a integrated graphicks card, and a slow as hell celeron.. i dont want to but a whole nother computer, but just uprgrade my mobo and cpu..this seems like a perfect cpu because i do alot of audio/video recording/editing, and other things that needs a faster processor..

You will need a new graphics card then.

Things to come:
the bad pasrt is that mine is integrated with the sound card..i cant take it out or put in another one..

edit- ive got 400 to spend
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
Well the mobo you get will have integrated sound on it. You could always just get an nvidea 6 series, maybe a 6600GT. That's if you don't plan on gaming. If you do want to play games, a 7800GT would be good, should be rather cheap aswell.

Things to come:
Quote by Funkbass796
Well the mobo you get will have integrated sound on it. You could always just get an nvidea 6 series, maybe a 6600GT. That's if you don't plan on gaming. If you do want to play games, a 7800GT would be good, should be rather cheap aswell.

im not too worries about that because im not a hardcore gamer..just substantial 256 mb
card not more than 150 bux,.
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
you're re-using the ram from your old pc right? what kind of processor did you have?

Things to come:
thanks man,
I just dont want to buy three expensive products oh newegg and find out that they dont work..
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
Quote by Funkbass796
you're re-using the ram from your old pc right? what kind of processor did you have?

i got a celeron pc2700 for ram
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
TBH dude, I have no idea if that RAM will be compatible with the motherboard. The specs for the motherboard say PC 3200 RAM acceptable. I'm not a ram expert so this is beyond me.

Things to come:
Quote by Funkbass796
TBH dude, I have no idea if that RAM will be compatible with the motherboard. The specs for the motherboard say PC 3200 RAM acceptable. I'm not a ram expert so this is beyond me.

plus i dont think that it is ddr eitgher...
how much will a gig of ram for that mobo cost?
Quote by bajeda

Seinfeld Club
Quote by Chromeproguitar
plus i dont think that it is ddr eitgher...
how much will a gig of ram for that mobo cost?

You can get some corsair 1GB for $80. I recommend it highly...mostly cause I have it. Also dude, none of this stuff will need to be overclocked. That actually voids the warranties, and if you're a n00b to it/don't have effecient cooling, then you risk frying your parts.

So my advice is to stay away from it.

Things to come:
about $100.

PC333 RAM will work with that asus AN8 but the PC400 is faster an will give you better preformance.

and a Geforce 6 or even 5 series will be just fine, unless your gonna do any gaming, you won't need a 256mb card.

and I get BF2 up too 100 FPS by overclocking alot and I have a 10,000 RPM hard drive too so that boosts it there. I also have antilasing off.

not to mention I have some memory on my hard drive pagefiled as RAM so it uses hard drive space for extra memory.

im getting another gig soon so i won't have that problem.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Funkbass796
You can get some corsair 1GB for $80. I recommend it highly...mostly cause I have it. Also dude, none of this stuff will need to be overclocked. That actually voids the warranties, and if you're a n00b to it/don't have effecient cooling, then you risk frying your parts.

So my advice is to stay away from it.

thats what I said. unless your gonna be gaming or stuff it's not worth overclcoking anything, i only do it b/c every bit of added preformance is needed.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Funkbass796

EDIT: I find it hard to believe you can get 90-100 fps on Battelfield 2 with just 1 gig of ram.

its pretty easy when you are o/c your memory, CPU and video card. i also have it running on a WD Raptor 10,000 RPM hard drive which makes it run faster as i is.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard