Of course this has been done before but A) I don't feel like looking and B) most of the suggestions are to smoke and drink a lot, and since I don't do either, they're not very helpful. So I want to scream and bark/growl like Trevor Strnad of The Black Dahlia Murder. Anyone got any good tips on it that don't include drinking, smoking, and doing drugs? I mostly need help for the scream, my growl is ok.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
smoke pot
its not a drug
lol

When you scream, try making it more from the back of the throat/diaphragm to get that more "distorted" sound. Also trying shifting the amount your mouth is open and the shape your lips make.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by LedZeppelin
smoke pot
its not a drug
lol

Haha, k. No smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or smoking weed.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
They make a DVD to teach the art. Look for it. Then buy it. Then impress your friends.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
Quote by facesofhope
don't do it

he wasn't askin for your opinion jackass, he's askin for help.
Quote by TIMshady1stLP
They make a DVD to teach the art. Look for it. Then buy it. Then impress your friends.

Yeah, I heard about it, The Zen Of Screaming right? I'll buy it if I can find it, unfortunately I can't use ebay or amazon or any of those things, so I'll probably have a tough time finding it.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
just practice simple things like nursery rhymes screaming/growling....try to do it more from the gut.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
Quote by axemanchris

He barely even screams...

There are a lot of examples of people that have ****ed their voices over, but then there are people that are totally fine, like Angela Gossow. Sure, her vocals aren't that good, but she's really giving it her all and she's actually got a very pleasant voice.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Dont buy the Zen of Screaming. It sucks ass. Good to see a fellow Black Dahlia Murder junkie here though! You have great taste haha. Other than necrophagist these dudes are my favorite. Anyways, what I do is do low pitched gutturals by tightening my stomach, and gurgle like I am brushing my teeth, but then after I do it, I somehow lower the sound into my lower throat, or upper chest..it sounds deep. After this, itll give me enough phlegm (spit) to moisten my throat, and then I tighten my vocal chords and roll my tongue so that it rolls and touches the roof of my mouth. Then I exhale and sound out the notes. if this helps you let me know. I can go into more detail I think
Quote by insideac
Dont buy the Zen of Screaming. It sucks ass. Good to see a fellow Black Dahlia Murder junkie here though! You have great taste haha. Other than necrophagist these dudes are my favorite. Anyways, what I do is do low pitched gutturals by tightening my stomach, and gurgle like I am brushing my teeth, but then after I do it, I somehow lower the sound into my lower throat, or upper chest..it sounds deep. After this, itll give me enough phlegm (spit) to moisten my throat, and then I tighten my vocal chords and roll my tongue so that it rolls and touches the roof of my mouth. Then I exhale and sound out the notes. if this helps you let me know. I can go into more detail I think

I have no ****ing idea what you're talking about. But yes, the Black Dahlia Murder are gods amongst men.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
LOL uhm...Pretend you are gurgling water in the back of your throat..looking down helps..Then slowly talk, and make it more forceful through your stomach. This is how to get the low sounding growls. How to do the high pitched ones, you tighten your neck up, the vocal chords, and look up a little bit, and then you just squeeze the words out. its that easy.
Quote by insideac
LOL uhm...Pretend you are gurgling water in the back of your throat..looking down helps..Then slowly talk, and make it more forceful through your stomach. This is how to get the low sounding growls. How to do the high pitched ones, you tighten your neck up, the vocal chords, and look up a little bit, and then you just squeeze the words out. its that easy.

Sounds good, I'll try it when I'm not on the phone with a hot lady.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
Quote by Teabag of Truth
Yeah, I heard about it, The Zen Of Screaming right? I'll buy it if I can find it, unfortunately I can't use ebay or amazon or any of those things, so I'll probably have a tough time finding it.

coughYOUTUBEcough
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Apparently it's not very good, but I'll check out the youtube video when I get home from school.
RIP RICHARD DUNN
Quote by insideac
Smoking just messes up your lungs, and destroys your potential. Besides, theres no good to be had from it, so shut up now.

Mikael Akerfeldt smokes. Nuff said (in terms of the argument of whether smoking increases/decreases your potential to do a good death growl).
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
I think he might have meant a different potential... lol
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
Morsch sind Baum und Pfad
Die Sonne graut dem Morgen
mir ist kalt...
Take it easy brother, Have lots of rest and dont go too hard too soon. Thats what I did
and now im nursing an infected throat
i think mikael is just supremely talented. smoking does give your voice more of a sphumatto (sp.) effect to it... he sphumatto means smokey.. go figure
Never practice for more than five minutes a day at first, because chances are you'll be doing it wrong.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
air from diaphragm
sound from throat

according to someone....
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
me and my buddies started a joke death metal band and we practiced our screaming a lot by driving around and screaming out the windows of cars. It helps build your endurance and you can practice different screams and its a really good outlet when your mad. Also don't scream near anyone you know
Wow, your such a self absorbed idiot, I can't believe you're even alive.