how do you get a vintage or handwired Marshall to distort? I've heard it has to do with the volume one and two channels or something of that sort, but I tried it at guitar center and nothing happened. I didn't turn it up very loud seeing as I was in a store, but is that the only way to do it?
poke holes in the speaker?
buy an overdrive pedal?
fart?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Sep 17, 2006,
Quote by danzig-_-
you poke holes in the speaker?
buy an overdrive pedal?
fart?

agreed.
either of the three!
XD
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

with the old high/low 2 input ones, you could "jump the inputs" with a patch cable from the low input 1 to high input 2, and it bridges the inputs for more gain.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Sep 18, 2006,
Erock, how do you actually do that?

as for you other two, thanks for the amazingly intelligent helpful posts, I see you'll soon be well respected members of UG
Like this:

INPUT ONE_____INPUT TWO
(Guitar cable)____(2" patch cable)

(2" patch cable)________(empty)
yeah, like danno illustrated. Guitar goes to the high input (1), then use a regular 1/4" instrument patch cable(smaller length the better) from low input (1) to high input (2).
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
You can do what Danno illustrated.

Or get a pair of scissors, and really, cut your speakers, the distortion from the cut speakers kick ass

Crank that marshall to max

Get a pedal
do what danno and erock said, but you'll need to crank it up loud too, to get the most distortion possible out of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by danzig-_-
poke holes in the speaker?
buy an overdrive pedal?
fart?

sooooooooooooo sigged
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
Quote by stringmagician
how do you get a vintage or handwired Marshall to distort? I've heard it has to do with the volume one and two channels or something of that sort, but I tried it at guitar center and nothing happened. I didn't turn it up very loud seeing as I was in a store, but is that the only way to do it?

what amp were you using? and with what guitar?

multiple-channel ones are pretty easy to get distortion. as for single channel ones, its easier to use a humbucker guitar such as a les paul, and overdrive pedal is also helpful. but with a non-master volume single-channel amp, you'll just need to turn it up really loud. But IMO it's not really worth buying an old school Marshall if you want modern-type heavy distortion.
Old Marshalls start to distort when loud and when the power amp's breaking up.

Could someone explain how that patch thing works?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30