Page 1 of 2
ive seen lots of guitars, such as my SG, that still has space for 24-frets but it only has 22 frets... why did the manufacturer limit itself to 22 frets?

anything wrong with 24-fret guitars?
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

There's a harmonic that occurs at the 24th fret and it's believed that that's the prime location for a neck pickup. Some guitar bodies also don't lend themselves for good access for 24 frets. Other than that, it's just a matter of preference.
Hi, I'm Peter
maybe because of the fret access 24 frets is unnecessary
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
yeah, my guitar has 24 frets and past about 20 the frets get so small they are wicked hard to use.
The neck pickup kinda loses some tone, I heard.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
It takes alot of upper fret access to use 24, so it doesn't work well on strats or sg's as it will on an ibanez, or a similar all access neck joint. Sure it will fit, but what's the point if you can't use it? And you get a much more groovy bassy tone with a more neckwards placed pickup.
Quote by danzig-_-
maybe because of the fret access 24 frets is unnecessary

Not if you use 24 frets...
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
There's nothing really wrong with them, but like others said, why sacrifice a great neck pickup tone?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Why sacrifice 2 frets?

Well really depends actually

If you use the extra 2 frets, you probably will solo a lot and use bridge pickup or whatever

Dunno
All guitars should have 24 frets.
Quote by Invictious
Why sacrifice 2 frets?

If you use the extra 2 frets, you probably will solo a lot and use bridge pickup or whatever

Dunno

Overall tone is more important than just two extra notes, and why are you using the bridge pickup to solo anyway?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I personally can't hear the difference.

I use .015s ftw, yes it's pure sex.

I don't know, I haven't tried that many 22 fret gutiars, besides IC400, there isn't that much difference.

I'd go for the 2 extra frets.
To be honest my sufcaster has 24 frets, yet still has probably the best neck pick-up tone I've ever had. It all depends on the guitar really.
Freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4. If that is granted, all else follows.
Fair enough, personal taste I suppose.

Incidentally, I bow to your massive strings. I use 13s (tuned down a semitone) at the moment. I'm guessing you tune down a bit though?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
nothing, though you lose your neck pickup which is directly under a harmonic so its easier to pick up there i think. meh i like 27 frets better
Quote by Invictious
Why sacrifice 2 frets?

Dunno

Some people prefer the decreased scale length and different fret spacing of a 22.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
real men bend up to the sound of the 24th!
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
real men bend up to the sound of the 24th!

Real men have 24 frets and bend up to the sounds of a 26th fret!

Seriously, I have a 24 fret guitar. It is awesome for when I play solos that are up there, but there really arent too many... I also have a 21 fret strat, and thats enough for me
Quote by mikeman
It takes alot of upper fret access to use 24, so it doesn't work well on strats or sg's as it will on an ibanez, or a similar all access neck joint. Sure it will fit, but what's the point if you can't use it? And you get a much more groovy bassy tone with a more neckwards placed pickup.

SGs have better upper fret access than RGs.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^ Yet that only go to 22.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Its mainly only about preference. Its like having a whammy bar or not, depends if you gonna use it or not.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by km-r
ive seen lots of guitars, such as my SG, that still has space for 24-frets but it only has 22 frets... why did the manufacturer limit itself to 22 frets?

anything wrong with 24-fret guitars?

nothing is wrong with 24 fret guitars, just 24 fret SG's. friend has a supreme, which is 24 frets, and it is a pain to get that high.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by timi_hendrix
SGs have better upper fret access than RGs.

Maybe early RG's with square neck joints, but they certainly don't have better access than an RG with an AANJ. The 24th fret is unbelievably useful, having 2 whole octaves is handy. Besides, if you are already using decent pickups, the small amount of tone lost by moving the neck pickup won't be noticable. -_-
If you had 22 frets on a guitar that should have 24 you would only have access to like 20 compared to 22.

You have an extra natural harmonic with the 24 frets, the fret spacing is a matter of preference, i have smaller hands so I prefer 24 frets, and a lot of dream theater stuff i play reqires 24 frets.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Well if you have long fingers like me, they usually aren't a problem...

Yea
real men use the 24th fret to bend to 26th fret!

And of course, the caparison fan boy would prefer 36 frets.
Personally, my opinion is - what good is tone if you can't even play what you need to? I frequently use every single one of my 24 frets on all strings. Plus, I like the timbre of the lower strings on higher frets.

About that "natural harmonic" above the 24th fret... yes, if you play your string open. That harmonic will move away as soon as you fret something. I believe most of that tone does not come from being under the harmonic. I believe it comes from the way the string vibrates and how you pluck it.

Pluck the string right at the bridge. It has a sharp tone. Now pluck it halfway up the fretboard - much softer. Of course, the bridge pickup will accentuate the sharper tone if you pick in between the pickups, and the neck pickup will accentuate the softer tone. However, it'll be even softer through the neck pickup if you pick further down the neck.

Anyhow, my older 21 fret cheapo guitar limits me, I love playing things in different octaves. I suppose many people don't like or use the higher pitches frequently - that, or if it's working fine and no-one's complaining, why bother changing a formula that works for you?
i think that neck pickups should go on all guitars they sound like **** im in a band & all the pro band i have talked to (exe. Lamb of God, God Forbid, Steve Vai) said that they all use the bridge pickup for solos cause it has more clarity so ya 24 frets & no neck is my fave type of guitar like Alexi Laiho from COB so ya to me nothing is wrong with 24 frets on a guitar
Quote by IbanezRG2EX1man
i think that neck pickups should go on all guitars they sound like **** im in a band & all the pro band i have talked to (exe. Lamb of God, God Forbid, Steve Vai) said that they all use the bridge pickup for solos cause it has more clarity so ya 24 frets & no neck is my fave type of guitar like Alexi Laiho from COB so ya to me nothing is wrong with 24 frets on a guitar

Because Steve Vai never ever uses his neck pickup .
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Nodes (i.e. those harmonic spots everyone seems to know nothing about) are generally bull****. Nodes are the point in a waveform where it crosses zero (basically a dead spot). The 24th fret axis crap is only true for open strings, and the nodes change as soon as you fret a string, so it's really useless to use the nodes cop out stuff, place the pickups where you want.

Anyways, I like 24 fret guitars over 22 fret guitars. 24 fret guitars have a generally stronger, stiffer neck not to mention more play for solos.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by Kartman
There's nothing really wrong with them, but like others said, why sacrifice a great neck pickup tone?

My jackson is a 24 fretter and it has great neck pickup tone...so i have no idea what you guys are talking about haha....but anyways it really is all preference
Playing more paintball and reading more books than playing guitar lately.
I like 22 better than 24, the 2 extra frets are unecessary
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by IbanezRG2EX1man

Steve vai uses his neck pickup alot.

And alexi laiho has the worst tone ever.

I personally only use the neck pickup, it gives a smoother sound for solo's. And it may not be as "crunchy" for rythm but i still like it more for everything, for clean channel i use both pickups.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Page 1 of 2