Page 1 of 2
I finally started the project I'd been wanting to do for some time now - building my own 2 x 12 cab. I've had all the hardware and speakers for some time now, but had never had the chance to get the wood and actually get on with the build until today. And I got a fair amount done.

I started with the measuerments of 3 cabs - a Marshall 1922, Marshall 1936, and a Mesa Recto 2x12 Horizontal. I eventually settles on the Mesa and am building it to those dimensions. Today I went to Home Depot and picked up a sheet of 3/4" birch plywood for the tops and sides, and 1/2" birch plywood for the front and back.

Not trusting my shoddy skills with tools, I decided to go with biscuilt joints rather than dovetail. I borrowed my neighbors biscuit jointer, and had the grooves cut out in no time. And it all fit together perfectly.

I decided I would give the front of the cab an urban camo pattern just to have the cab stand out. Got some spray cans and masking tape, and got that painted up over a few hours. I also want to get a router to round out the corners of the cab. I also need to route out the edge of the speaker holes to make a 1/4" groove to countersink the speakers

Anyway, here's where it's at now. The enclosure is almost completely finished. I have the holes cut out for the handles and speakers. I also got the tolex installed on some of the parts. But I realized I didn't get quite enough tolex, so I have to order more before I can complete the cab. I probably won't get the tolex for a couple of weeks, so I'll probably assemble it and try it out.

Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
wow that looks nice. i want to build a cab
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Shweet.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
what kind of speakers are going in it?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
I've got a pair of 16 ohm V30s lined up for it. One of the speakers is currently in my El Diablo. I'll be taking it out and reinstalling the stock speaker in the combo for now, eventually replacing it with an 8 ohm V30 down the road so I can use both the combo's speaker and the cab simultaneously.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Nice!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by godofshred
rawking slippers my good man

Hey, I'm an old dude. What can you expect?

You should see the plaid bathrobe I was wearing...

Quote by Punk_MetalOrHC?
very nice cab. I like the camo-thing. And they match with your curtains

Urban camo is kind of a theme with me. I often wear urban camo clothing. I have the curtains (which I made). And I plan on eventually painting my Lado Earth guitar white with an urban camo pattern on the front.

Quote by Crunchmeister
Urban camo is kind of a theme with me. I often wear urban camo clothing. I have the curtains (which I made). And I plan on eventually painting my Lado Earth guitar white with an urban camo pattern on the front.

just don't paint your car that ... could be in for some trouble.
Marty
It wasn't particularly difficuly for most of the assembly. The tolex proved to be a bit of a challenge, and I can imaging it will be even moreso when I have to do the rest of the cab.

Nice! But why does it need "Death" in it's name? Why not the "Super-happy people's cab"?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Nice! But why does it need "Death" in it's name? Why not the "Super-happy people's cab"?

that sounds like it would shoot rainbows from the speakers.
Brazillian Thrash Massacre
Because I plan to incorporate a special device that will liquefy the internal organs of emo kids when they hear music coming from my cab. Hence the name DethKab.

I working on a version of the device that will work on gangsta rappers too. lol

what hardware did you use other than the tolex, wood, speakers and jacks?

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Nice job
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Quote by UniverseZero
what hardware did you use other than the tolex, wood, speakers and jacks?

I bought 2 Marshall handles and the speaker grilles. That's about it.

And the emo-kid killing device, well, that's top secret.

That's awesome man! Good job!
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Actually, now realizing that you're not gonna tolex it, and now that I've noticed the camo...it's pretty damn discusting looking if you ask me.

Oh well, whatever croaks your moat.
Quote by Crunchmeister
Because I plan to incorporate a special device that will liquefy the internal organs of emo kids when they hear music coming from my cab. Hence the name DethKab.

I like your thinking.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
A good looking/sounding amp that kills emo's and wannabe gangsta's? That would wipeout half of my school!

HOW MUCH!!!???
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Actually, now realizing that you're not gonna tolex it, and now that I've noticed the camo...it's pretty damn discusting looking if you ask me.

Oh well, whatever croaks your moat.

You must have misread something, because I plan on fully covering the cab with tolex, and stated so in my original post. I covered the back panels and the front inner trim with tolex already. I just didn't have enough of it to complete the whole job so I had to order more. The camo, on the other hand, certainly won't please everyone.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Sep 20, 2006,
Quote by Crunchmeister
I working on a version of the device that will work on gangsta rappers too. lol

is the bass to whack for the phat heads?
hey man.. im wondering what the connection to the speaker is called.. like.. what kind of jack it is. I know it goes to a 1/4 inch input jack, but what are the connectors on the other end of the wire. They look like spade head connectors.. but i have no idea.

Just ordered a speaker for my own extension cab and need to know how to get it hooked up. Thanks.
Speakers usually do have spades on them. Either that or a little clamping screw.
Barely. Just to wire the spade connecters to the jacks. Really easy.
This is the jack plate I got, althought I got it from another ebay seller for a lot less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Marshall-Stereo-Mono-Jack-Plate-4x12-1960-a-b-cab_W0QQitemZ190033249843QQihZ009QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And there's no soldering required. Everything was pre-wired. I just need to connect the wires to the speakers using the connectors.

I got an email notification yesterday that my Tolex had shipped, which means it will be at least 10 days before it gets here. Not being able to wait that long, I decided it was time to assemble the parts I did have for my cab and start using it. After all, the only things left to do to it are only cosmetic, so I might as well start using it.

And it sounds pretty damn good. I'm really, really enjoying the tone I'm getting out of this baby. I didn't have time to record any clips last night and I have band practice tonight, but I'll try to record something with it this weekend.

wut are the dimensions of this, and how much tolex did you order to cover it?
UG MISSILE BASE
Fight for the cause!

Quote by RMC06
Donkeyman2341, you are my new god!
Quote by Crunchmeister

lol sigged.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I finally assembled the cab (sans tolex) and took it to band practice last night. Holy shìt did this thing ever kick! The cab on its own sounds awesome, and that's going to be my main source of sound for recording. But running both the combo's internal speaker and the cab at the same time makes produces a monstrous sound in a band situation. The combination of the big airy sound form the open back combo (about 85% closed, but still open back) and the tight, punchy sound from the closed cab made it sound positively orgasmic.

Quote by donkeyman2341
wut are the dimensions of this, and how much tolex did you order to cover it?

Dimensions are 30" wide x 16 3/4" high x 14" deep. Altogether, I got 3 yards of Tolex, including the new piece coming in. I'll probably have some left over.

Quote by Alexander_BR
are you going to ad some wheels for easy moving around

It's neither heavy nor awkward to carry, so I don't think I'll be needing any wheels. I will be getting some rubber feet for it though, since I don't want the tolex on the bottom getting all worn out.

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Sep 23, 2006,
Well, «not heavy» is relative. My combo is 67 lbs and the cab is definately lighter. I'd estimate it's in the 60 lb range, although I haven't weighed it (I probably will now since I'm curious as to exactly how much). And it's size and well placed handles makes it very easy to carry.

Page 1 of 2