hey guys

my name is danny and my amp is fuked.
i am also on a tight budget, i have $1100 Australian (around 827.50 USD) to spend.
could someone please recommend me a good amp that has a great distrorted metal sound?
a roland cube? your sorta too low for tube amps, but too high for a solid state. hmm. reckon you can stretch you budget at all? i'll check ebay and then get back to you.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
i'd say go for a roland cube..
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Last edited by joel_grieve at Sep 18, 2006,
what sorta metal tones do you want, name some bands.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
roland cube i'd say.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
okay, thanks man.
i was thinking about a marshall AVT150.
the dude at the store can do it for my price range,
but i wanted to see if it was the best buy.
what do you think?
unless you're in desperate need of a gigging amp, i would bother with it.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Couldn't he get some sort of used valve amp for that price?

If not, Roland Cube.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
he could squeeze a used DSL401, but i doubt its the type of gain he's looking for. theres alsoa bunch of randall stacks for just over 1000.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by MetalDanny
Lamb of God, Slipknot, anything like that.

Get the Roland Cube 30. I just got it yesterday. Its AWSOME!!
Quote by Trenton
Get the Roland Cube 30. I just got it yesterday. Its AWSOME!!

Ya, but what was your price range? I doubt 850. Look into some used tube amps. YOu can find some good ones foraround 850.
peavey 5150 heads are like 500 on ebay and u could prolly get a good cab or build one for about 300. I have the 5150 and it nails the tones your looking for.
Yeah, if i were you id probably buy a cab and then find a head, maybe Mesa Boogie or Peavey. Avatar makes really great cabs, I came close to buying one once.
-Fender American Series Stratocaster
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Amp

Rock, Jazz, Blues, and Funk
its fairly loud.
www.guitar.com.au

have look at the randall stacks then.

also, 5150 2nd hand over here are about 1500ish, so dont even try to recommend them.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by MetalDanny
how loud is the cube?
i need something unbelievably loud and distorted.

lol for AU$1,100 you could get 2 Cube 60's that should be plenty loud enough
everyone loves this cube dont they?
ill have to try it out, because it really doesn't look too flash.
so the marshall AVT150 is a no go you reckon?
you could get an extension cab for it...it might look better?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by MetalDanny
so the marshall AVT150 is a no go you reckon?

Yeah pretty much. Its just not a good sounding amp IMO.

Idk dude...a Cube60 with a big budget like that..?? Are things like really expensive over there?
okay.
i have been sorta talked into the roland cube 60.
after this, i am still left with a bit of cash, i would have around $550.
what is suggested that i do with this...?
well, the problem is hes below the price of most tube amps, and above the price of most of the solid states, so hmm...
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
this is ****ed up man.
so many different opinions, its hard to choose which one to go with.
i have a B.C Rich Mockingbird EvilEdge,
and i dont quite trust the cube for some reason.
asking people i know, they say "fu'ck the cube, you can get something
way more powerful for your budget".
do you wanna sound good or be loud?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
preferrably both.
but it would be better to sound good.
but i need the volume because its hard to keep my current amp
sounding good at a high volume and have it loud enough to hear over the drums.
this is one of the main reasons i need a new amp.
Last edited by MetalDanny at Sep 19, 2006,
go to the website i posted and look at randall stacks then.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
get the cube and add extension cab(s) - more speakers=more volume, but you could also get micd up to the PA if where you're gigging has one. Dont be fooled by higher power amps, a 100w amp would only probably give you an 8% increase in volume over the 60w cube, (roughly - and thats if i worked it out right, but volume and power are not equal, lots more power=bit of extra volume) and with an extra cab, the cube could be louder and sound better. if you could afford tube, i'd say that you never really NEED more than about 30-50w, due to extra perceived volume of tubes, and things like PA

"You're a MESS!"
wow, thanks dude.
that helps my decision alot.
so the cube it is then.
thanks to everyone that helped my decision.
Uhh, my 30 watt Cube wasnt really that loud, certainly not loud enough to play over a drummer or anything like that....I guess i dont know how big they make Cubes, but personally i think tube amps are waaaay better than solid state. Especially with your budget, you could probably get something better than a cube. Ive heard a lot of people talk about Peavey 5150s as being a good choice for metal. I have some friends in a hardcore/metal band, they have a Marshall cab and head, and a Mesa cab and head. You wouldnt need a cab that big, a 212 cab would do the trick.

Quote by schoenstrat
Uhh, my 30 watt Cube wasnt really that loud, certainly not loud enough to play over a drummer or anything like that....I guess i dont know how big they make Cubes, but personally i think tube amps are waaaay better than solid state. Especially with your budget, you could probably get something better than a cube. Ive heard a lot of people talk about Peavey 5150s as being a good choice for metal. I have some friends in a hardcore/metal band, they have a Marshall cab and head, and a Mesa cab and head. You wouldnt need a cab that big, a 212 cab would do the trick.

No way will he get a tube head and cab down here for under AU$1,100. A used tube combo maybe.
Quote by liquidstate
get the cube and add extension cab(s) - more speakers=more volume, but you could also get micd up to the PA if where you're gigging has one. Dont be fooled by higher power amps, a 100w amp would only probably give you an 8% increase in volume over the 60w cube, (roughly - and thats if i worked it out right, but volume and power are not equal, lots more power=bit of extra volume) and with an extra cab, the cube could be louder and sound better. if you could afford tube, i'd say that you never really NEED more than about 30-50w, due to extra perceived volume of tubes, and things like PA

Well true...but the thing is that the more speakers you add the more stress it puts on the power amp section. The more you push the Cube the worse it sounds...I just dont think that adding more speakers to (at least) the Cube is the solution for more volume. Maybe a fuller tone...but not volume...not by much anyways.
Line 6 Flextone III seems like it would fit the bill without breaking your wallet.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
this is fuc'king me up hardcore aye.
i really have no clue what to get anymore.
some say go the cube.
others say the cube is not worth it.
How much is the Cube in Australia?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
A 212 Avatar cab costs around 300 US dollars, and you order them straight from their site, which would leave you about 500 for a head, but I guess I dont know how much things cost down under. Still, I dont think using a cube as a head would sound that good. Mine only had a headphone jack out which was really poor quality, and even with high quality studio headphones still didnt sound too good. I would suggest buying a used head, theres nothin wrong with that as long as you make sure it works.

the cube is like 600 aus for the 60.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
in about a week i can get about $200 more, which raises my budget to
$1300 australian if that would help me at all, but if it cant,
i can get a BEHRINGER BG412H CAB and a BEHRINGER GMX1200H HEAD
for $800....
or i could get a CRATE GT1200 STACK for $1000 australian.
Last edited by MetalDanny at Sep 22, 2006,
For AU$1,300 you're starting to get into nice combo's. I realise there are better all tube combo's for metal but you could get a Marshall DSL401 for that kinda money. Would sound a wee bet better than the Behringer you mentioned and plenty loud enough.