ok well me and my friends are going to jam sometime soon, but i don't know anything at all about jams.

So i guess i'm asking - what actually happens in jams? How does the backing music work and how does somebody do lead over the backing? and what do i need to know if i want to jam successfully?

Oh and any general tips would be nice too
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
Last edited by Craig01 at Sep 18, 2006,
just play

determine if you are lead guitar or rhythem in the jam

and keep playing

its all about playing and not stopping until youve worked something out
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
ok so i just play... i don't have to know anything about keys etc?
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
It's good to bring ideas/riffs/melodies to the people so you have something to start with, work on and such.
~ J6hn
Quote by Craig01
ok so i just play... i don't have to know anything about keys etc?

if you dont know how to improvise with scales in key then i would go do some reading before trying to jam, theres loads of stuff on UG about keys, go learn it.
Knowing about the keys isn't essential, albeit helpful when there is other guitars and bass players involved. When I jam with just a drummer, a good excersise we find is to take turns, and have one person sets a groove, a solid rhythm and then stick to it, this allows the other player to experiments over the top, then switch round.

If i was in a larger band, start with the drummer, let him/her set the tempo, then add instruments one at a time, if everyone starts just playing there instruments, it could get very messy!
Spiral Out
backing guitar: if you're playing something say what you're doing, in what key you are in and maybe what give the other hints for scales to play
lead guitar: take notice of what the rythm guy does, try not to just use the minor pentatonic and impress yer buddy. extra tip: if im finished with my soloing for a bit i play along with the rythm guitar so he know he can do a solo now.