Ok, so i've made my first song ever, and i want to play and record it, i want to do so so i can get crit. and see what people think. Butttt, since i've never done this, i seriously have no idea whatsoever as to how to do it. Can you all give me lists of equipment that i need or could use that wouldn't cost hundreds. I just want something that i can record on and it'll sound pretty good. Or if you don't have specific items, could you tell me the names of the devices that people use to record. so i can just look in a store or catalog and have a general idea of what i'm looking for. Ok, thanks alot. :]
if you dont need anything fancy, its actually very simple. just as long as youre amp has a line out. all youll need is a recording cable, that you can pickup anywhere for a few dollars. one end is the size of a guitar cable, and the other fits into the mic input on youre computer. then download a free recording program, i recommend audacity, and get going!
alright man thanks alot, i didn't know it was that simple, i'll definitely do that. So i can find that cable anywhere? and as to that, does that record my voice as well? i want to record me singing and playing a song. but i'll go get that, just to record that for now. but thanks alot. :]
An interface sounds like what you need. What instruments do you plan on recording, just guitar and vocals? I'd check out Line 6 Tone Port it should do exactly what you want and be relatively simple. I could name off all this higher end or more confusing stuff but I think Line 6 is great for there simplicity/quality.
is it? yeah, vocals and guitar is pretty much all i am doing right now. Is it expensive?
Well either get the Toneport or get something like a cheap USB interface, that will have one input for your guitar and one for your mic (you will need a mic). I think M-audio makes some pretty nice ones for about $100. (Which is about as cheap as it gets) Just download your free software and you are good to go.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I got the Toneport UX2 and that was 200$ US. It works really well for what it seems like you want to do. I record my drums through it (only on two mics), the vocals, guitar and bass. The software that comes with it is neat because you can model a ton of amps and pre-amps.
Yes, the problem with that is simply - the drums will well, sound far less than GREAT. I mean they will be distinguishable and all, but they will certainly be lacking big time in quality.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.