Okay, I was going to put this on a strat - I was wondering...
First - What's difference between the two models?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Wilkinson_Gotoh_VSVG_Vintage_Tremolo.html
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolos/Wilkinson_Gotoh_VS-100N_Tremolo.html

Just that the first is more vintage looking?
Also, it says that the VS-100N might need some routing - what does it need?

Also, how well do these things stay in tune? Does anyone know? I wanted to set it up like a floating style tremolo.

I'm using this because I don't want to get a new neck with a locking nut. Also, I'd like to be able to change tunings without dealing with a locking nut.

Thanks to anyone who knows!
You can't really use these as a Floyd floating bridge, because it doesn't have fine tuners. If you intend to use the trem agressively as you would a Floyd, then you'll ahve to get lockign tuners for the guitar as well. That will help keep it intune.

But in the end, if you intend to really use it a lot, no non-locking trem is going to hold up to extreme use without going out of tune.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by forsaknazrael

Also, it says that the VS-100N might need some routing - what does it need?

Some routing?
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
get locking tuners with that bridge and youll have very few tuning stability problems.

your preference on which one you want.. the difference is the vintage one goes in with 6 screws into the body while the other one only has two posts which you anchor into the body. The vintange trem is still very popular.

also: to the guy who said no nonlocking trem will stay in tune reasonably well.. you can "pump load" a non locking tremelo (saw tutorial somewhere online for this) where you tune it from one direction, pump the trem and it puts it right back in tune.

ive seen a couple of musicians who have had that work for them.
Last edited by vampwizzard at Sep 18, 2006,
can you post that article about "pump load"? can you explain what does it mean?
strat player forever.
Locking tuners will hold it in tune with moderate use. But if he's intending to dive-bomb like nuts, this won't hold the guitar in perfect tuning the way a double locking system will, no matter how much you 'pump load' it. These trems aren't designed to handle this type of extreme use.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Use the New Thread button.

I was definitely planning on using locking tuners. Hell, those babies help with just excessive bending.
Probably not going to dive bomb that often, but how many tones can it raise a note by? Do any of you know?

Because I might consider getting a Floyd if I can't get the results I'd like....How thick does a body have to be for a Floyd Rose?
I have the VS1000 on my Carvin and I'd say it's a pretty good combination with Sperzels. Also, like everyone else was saying, it depends on your music style. Whether you like Vai-ish trem abuse like diving and whatnot's then you'll want a double locking. If you like more jazzy stuff or Andy Timmons' stuff when you don't do extreme tremolo tricks then the VS1000 should be just fine for you.

As raising per note.. I can't say for sure but I think it should suffice in whatever you intend on playing. I suppose you could route more of your guitar if you're unsatisfied. It's late now, but if you really want to know then I guess I could try tomorrow.

And I'm not sure about required thickness for Floyds.. Actually I've never heard any cases in which the body wasn't thick enough for a trem. If you mean routing wise, there should be templates online you can find.
Quote by Mascot
Calm down.

I'm not saying it again.
^You can't fit FR's on SG's if I'm not mistaken, because of their thin body.
strat player forever.
Correct. Some people custom em to have em, but their bodies are built slightly thicker. (i.e. Warmoth SGs.)

Okay, cool, thanks for the info about the tremolo. I'm not sure what kinda stuff i wanna do on the whammy bar just yet, but that info definitely helped.
Quote by Crunchmeister
You can't really use these as a Floyd floating bridge, because it doesn't have fine tuners. If you intend to use the trem agressively as you would a Floyd, then you'll ahve to get lockign tuners for the guitar as well. That will help keep it intune.

But in the end, if you intend to really use it a lot, no non-locking trem is going to hold up to extreme use without going out of tune.

I used the whammy like crazy on my fender american deluxe this week and only the low and high E strings are out of tune.