Page 1 of 2
there seem to be alot of shred guitarists and shred wannabes floating around the forums and id like everyodys opinion on SHRED!!!!!!!! before i go any further id like to say that im not closed minded and dont hate shred just because i cant do it even though i can play a fairly fast rock and roll guitar, i just dont get the attraction.
Ive looked at heaps of shred clips on you tube of of people like pettruci, steve vai, jason becker among heaps of others and none of them excited me the way angus young, jimmy, page slash and billy gibbons do. Sure their theory and knowledge of scales and modes help them fly around the neck and technically there exceptional legato is spot on and i really admire the dedication to get that good (for the decent ones) but there seems to be a lack of feel and soul to them. for example herman li form dragon force sure he can play 5000 notes a song but id swap them all for 50 of bb kings anyday. and another on of the top of my head is zakk wylde now i think zakk is awesome and really like most of his stuff but listen to in this river, a really melodic song and nice volume swells at the beginnig of the solo then he s***s out a mega fast run of notes and f***S the whole song up
when hes capable of much better like mamma im coming home solo or harvester of pain (pride and glory). theres a few examples of below there not all brilliant but you get the idea. let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVfNDac2vBc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q396ewLxDcY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQd9S5vD3eQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t25AOSxZZkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjOjmRDuWeE
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Ugh, I suggest you delete your post as you're bound to get idiots who don't know what the bleep they're talking about... Like yourself
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Shred is something i personally love doing and i practise loads of hours to become better and better and my favorite guitar players are (Zakk Wylde,Steve Vai,Randy Rhoads, Alexi Laiho and many many others BUT great guitar players dont just shred but they combine loads of Techniques so they have varietes So what i mean is that there is time to shred and time just play with feel
Quote by WyldeMalmsteen
Shred is something i personally love doing and i practise loads of hours to become better and better and my favorite guitar players are (Zakk Wylde,Steve Vai,Randy Rhoads, Alexi Laiho and many many others BUT great guitar players dont just shred but they combine loads of Techniques so they have varietes So what i mean is that there is time to shred and time just play with feel

i do agree randy rhodes was awesome, probably the only guitarist i can relate to in terms of the way he played with feel and passion no matter how fast he played. Atleast to my ears
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
I like the way that all anti-shred threads somehow include Herman Li.....

I love shred, I find that it does have a lot of emotion bursting through, if at higher speeds. Steve Vai is one of my favorites, he tries to emphasise the feeling of the song he plays by making ridiculous faces at the high notes, works for me, others find it stupid.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
I like shred but not when its over done (like shredding for the whole solo), John Petrucci to me is a perfect example of this. He shred tons but also adds in flavor and taste to his soloes, the whole solo wont be shred, there will be some sweet slow part.

and about herman li, no offense but all dragonforce songs to me sound exactly the same lol
Shredding when done badly ie. with no thought or emotion, widdling on for hours and hours is the most boring kind of self-mastabatory music known to man. However, when used intelligently and in context it can be exciting and interesting. An old bandmate of mine was a fantastic shredder and could play just about anything, but the funny thing was that when it came down to writing original stuff, he found it really hard. All those hours of concentrating on technique parrot fashion (and hence not concentrating on the emotional content of his playing) had turned him in to a guitar machine. I've recently realised that I'm guilty of doing the same thing but in reverse. And so my music suffers because I don't have the the technical abillity to express myself properly. So now, I'm gonna learn how to shred, not because I particularly love that sort of music, but because I want to be able to play everything that's inside my head.
I don't like shred becuase less is more in my opinon. You don't have to play 32 nps to impress me. Besides, shred phrasing makes me want to puke all over myself. Also, I tend to notice shredders seem somewhat robotic..I'd rather feel my music and play my solos sloppliy then look like a robot. However, I do respect their dedication, its pretty insane.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I like the way that all anti-shred threads somehow include Herman Li.....

And for good reason.

Shred rules.

Can't go wrong with any of the actually good shredders like Shawn Lane or Guthrie Govan.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6903405308893996584&q=shawn+lane
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5686619768616750784&q=shawn+lane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyRB8d7S4xc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoIqzXG-344
i learned blues-metal first, but i love to friggin shred. i'm just starting to get it, but it's - to answer ur question - it's cuz it's ****ing fun and i play thrash/death/heavy metal so it goes good with it. even so, i like to shred even over acoustic backing sometimes. u can't start off with it, but u gotta build up to it and make it all epic and natural or it just sounds wrong. that help? it's fun man and it's a great tool to have under ur belt.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
That Guthrie Govan - Rhode Island Shred thing was brilliant. However, Fives? I thought it was boring - it didn't go anywhere. He just shredded around in circles ending up in the same place. However, that Rhode Island thing, he actually shredded somewhere different and kept the song interesting.

Most of the shred I dislike doesn't go anywhere, and bores the hell out of me. It's just pointless notes coming back home for no reason other than because they could. Hmm, at least I've found an explanation I could put into words. I like dynamics... Most of the guitarists I admire (including Herman Li, Satriani, Vai, and Petrucci) have dynamics - they don't play an endless stream of same-length notes and call it a song.
Uh oh....

Ok, shred does not have no feel. Shred with no feel has no feel. Shred with feel and emotion is great and orgasmic (for lack of a better word).
I like shred, when done well (Petrucci)
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
im glad to see people commenting and i promise of i find a shred piece i really like ill let you know....

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
I always look at shred as being like people who can stack up cups really fast or something. It's just "Well done, but what's the f*cking point?" Sure it takes a lot of practise, but if you're making music that, really, only people who play the same instrument as you can get into then I think you're doing something wrong.

Plus, I hate that overly precise thing. I like a bit of dirt in music.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
I always look at shred as being like people who can stack up cups really fast or something. It's just "Well done, but what's the f*cking point?" Sure it takes a lot of practise, but if you're making music that, really, only people who play the same instrument as you can get into then I think you're doing something wrong.

Plus, I hate that overly precise thing. I like a bit of dirt in music.

What's wrong with producing music for guitarplayers? better than producing music for punk-wannabes who don't appreciate it at all.
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
strange question bc people definine shred in different ways. let's just say for guitar viruoso music: i do think it's important to be technically sound. it's not the speed these guys play that turns me off, it's just that i usually feel the composition is not up to snuff. i like classical music, and a lot of it requires a great deal of technical virtuosity, but i'm not gonna complain and say it's emotionless. i get a lot more emotion out of completely unimprovised, perfectly executed classical playing than out of 99% of blues playing, ESPECIALLY electric blues guitar playing. so of course all those shred guys are tremendous talents, i just dislike the music.

makes me wonder what beethoven would do with an electric guitar.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Quote by Strat_Monkey
but if you're making music that, really, only people who play the same instrument as you can get into then I think you're doing something wrong.

You sure have a point, man!
I like shred when its used correctly, but I don't love it or anything. I know some shred licks but I'd hardly consider myself a shredder, nor do I ever have the desire to be one.
Shredding's alright, when it's done well. I don't like the "Faster is better" mindset when applied to guitar. I intend to eventually learn at least basic shredding techniques though, especially when there's guys like Petrucci out there who make it sound so damned good.
^ yeah faster is not definately better, shred is mostly about proper phrasing of the notes, if you just go up and down scales as fast as possible its not going to sound good, i look at a solo, ESPECIALLY shred type stuff, like a story, it needs to have an ingtriguing beginning middle climax and ending.
Quote by Cycon
What's wrong with producing music for guitarplayers? better than producing music for punk-wannabes who don't appreciate it at all.

Don't appreciate it? Punks are f*cking nuts about their music! Just because they don't ponce around saying "Oh wow, I really liked that use of the major third over that passing chord of A7" doesn't mean they don't appreciate music. Go to any punk concert and you'll see people leaping around having the time of their life. Go to a shred concert and you'll see a lot of people standing around, trying to see what the guys' fingers are doing.

A person's appreciation of music is not defined by their understanding of it, otherwise people who didn't play instruments wouldn't listen to music at all, would they?

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
music's music. love it or leave it. Some love the shred. I on the other hand can only take so much, but i respect their tastes. i does take tech to shred, but if they shred for the sake of shredding and seeing how fast they go, it just isn't right. It has to have some sort of progression.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Don't appreciate it? Punks are f*cking nuts about their music! Just because they don't ponce around saying "Oh wow, I really liked that use of the major third over that passing chord of A7" doesn't mean they don't appreciate music. Go to any punk concert and you'll see people leaping around having the time of their life. Go to a shred concert and you'll see a lot of people standing around, trying to see what the guys' fingers are doing.
And that would all be meaningful if punk existed.
...an endless stream of same-length notes and call it a song.

...which is what a lot of shred sounds like to me, and while I can respect the technical skill of someone who can do it properly (which seems to be a fairly small percentage) I kind of wonder why they're bothering; at the end of the day, you're probably just going to sound like someone that's spent a lot of time practicing scales in order to impress people with their awesome technique. Each to his own though.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Be honest, shred-hating fools, how many of you have actually listened to shred and not just heard some Yngwie warmup exercise?

Why do you still bother... Their beliefs have already long been established.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Why do you still bother... Their beliefs have already long been established.
Good point.

In fact, I don't want them listening to shred.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
And that would all be meaningful if punk existed.

well i love a good bit of shred, but it has to be done tastefully... dirt is fine, but you have to have meant to put it in there... so ur actually being very precise... if its just accidental, i got no time for that. how u gonna do it in a studio where u might have to play it half a dozen times, not gonna work is it?
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson RR1
ESP Eclipse w/EMG Z.W.set
----
Boss GT-8
Digitech Whammy
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
----
Marshall AVT Stack
Crate PowerBlock - used for DI'ing
^ I'm with BGC on that one....

I've heard shred, all the big names. Sure, their is probably better slightly more obscure guys, but I am aware I have had a good sampling of the players.

Some of the songs are very good. Some of them not so good. (Sound like any other genre to you?) Due to my personal tastes though, I can't listen to it for too long without it the intensity wearing off.

Also, it's pretty funny that some guys still rock out 80's hair cuts. A shred exclusive, and I love it

Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Yes, I've watched many actual songs on Youtube, and not just warm ups. I still maintain my opinion that most (note: I said most) "shred" I've heard I dislike and don't find a point to. I've heard a couple of shred songs that were just plain awesome.

In either case, I'm still curious... I'm debating whether to buy a shred artist's CD or not. I might next time I come across some, probably a hit and miss.
Quote by Cycon

Nice way to take a very narrow view on an argument.

When I see this argument (the one that Strat_Monkey made), I imagine two concerts I have on DVD. One of them is Steve Vai Live at the Astoria. The other is Santana: Supernatural. When you see the Steve Vai DVD (he even says this in the audio commentary) and see the audience, the majority are middle aged males who play guitar. When you see the Santana concert, you see people from all stretches having a great time. Now don't get me wrong, I love Steve Vai, but Santana's music is just so universal, that anyone can appreciate it.

If you need to be a guitar player to be able to appreciate something, and anyone else finds it painful to listen to, that means you're appreciating it for it's technical merit, nothing else. Period.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Master Of Puppets was painful for me first time I heard it, doesn't make it a **** song, by the way guess what I'm listening to now BEEATCH!!
Exactly, I suppose it's an acquired taste - you either have the ability to like it, or not. It took me a while to get into Metallica and that, I was apprehensive at first, but now I'm lost in a sea of metal, for better or worse.
Page 1 of 2