So I've been a fan of Marty Friedman's work with Megadeth for years. But this weekend I picked up my first MF solo cd, Music for Speeding. F*ckin killer album! I was expecting the sweet riffs and fast runs, but I was completely taken back by the ballads on the album. I never knew Marty had that side to him..

So what other albums/songs should I check out to hear more of this style? I know his new album is comin out in the US soon... is that worth picking up?
Well Loudspeaker his new album is alot heavier. Then music for speeding.
But they are both great, I think you should check it out.

You could check youtube or something for a few teasers.
True Obsessions is pretty sweet, more of the same ballady stuff. Also, Dragon Kiss is a great album for the heavy riffs and fast runs.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Dragon's Kiss made my brain melt. There are slower songs on that cd too.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Whoa whoa whoa

If you think MFS is good for a soft side, you DEFINITELY need to check out Scenes. One of the best guitar based albums EVER, and hands down my favorite work by Marty.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Quote by apocalypse13
Whoa whoa whoa

If you think MFS is good for a soft side, you DEFINITELY need to check out Scenes. One of the best guitar based albums EVER, and hands down my favorite work by Marty.

Quote by Axegrinder#9
Amen to that! listen to "Scenes" you'll probably trip balls listening to that album... definitely up there in my list of most innovative guitar albums...
'

Listen to these two, for they speak the truth about said album.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
I'd triple Scenes for that, It can't get any softer; And definately pick up dragon's kiss. Loudspeaker is another different story it's heavilly inspired by J-Pop so if you like that pick that one up too.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
IMHO, MFS > Loudspeaker. I just didnt dig as much song in 1 album as MFS, nice riff work and heavy stuff and all but i still prefer MFS which has variety and cool FXs.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
true that but it's just opinion marty's style stays the same it's only the songwriting that's different

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
Gotta go with the majority then..

I'll pick up Scenes when I get payed next week..

You sir have made a wise decision and are on your way to acquiring an excellent album
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Just ordered Loudspeaker a few days ago
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by Scorzerci
Just ordered Loudspeaker a few days ago

I'm sad to say, that save for one song, I don't like that album at all.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Yeah I know what you mean. Just what I said it's Marty but in "another outfit". I think he's just in that part of life where just wants to make music and doesn't think of what people want to hear and for me that works the other way around. I can respect it; and the songs aren't that bad in the context of just rocksongs.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Or he's trying to hit on kids these days (or in Japan at least), like Metallica's St. Anger which sux major balls and dicks (not too compare loudspeaker to metallica's or anything).
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
Gotta go with the majority then..

I'll pick up Scenes when I get payed next week..

Good plan.

Quote by madpickin03
Or he's trying to hit on kids these days (or in Japan at least), like Metallica's St. Anger which sux major balls and dicks (not too compare loudspeaker to metallica's or anything).

Yeah bad comparison.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Yeah probably. It's so complex and stuff that's why i just listen to what I like and I don't care if he needs to do it for his record company or not or whatever.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??