Hey guys im in the market for a new guitar and have many options, one of which is a dean v, now there are two different types that i like, one is this http://www.deanguitars.com/vx.htm
which is only 200gpb and the other is this
http://www.djmmusic.com/itemdesc.asp?Agent=froogle1&ic=DGK-V79-TCS

now the latter is significantly more expensive i know. But is it just becuase its mahogany? and is the basswood really that bad on the first? also i prefer the maple neck on the basswood version!

P.S im a bit of a tight arse i dnt like spending lol and the other guitars im looking at are a tanglewood resonator guitar and a banjo! lol

thanks for help

tobz
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
*waits for the ibanez horde*
and basswood isnt bad at all.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
I think my guitar is made out of basswood.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by ScottishAngus
*waits for the ibanez horde*
and basswood isnt bad at all.

ehrr, you got 3 of them yourself
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by FretboardToAsh
ehrr, you got 3 of them yourself

i know
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
isnt satch's ibanez made of basswood??
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
bass wood is good if you like the midsy tone you get from it...

but I'm more of a mahogany man...
Quote by tobythechimp
isnt satch's ibanez made of basswood??

ya and alot of jems are too. Oh and john petruccis musicman AND ibanez. I could go on
basswood isn't bad, it's a matter of taste. I'd say the only two really BAD woods are plywood and agathis. gotta watch out for those agathis LTD guitars, look nice, sound shiite.
Basswood can be great for guitar wood.

Think of the main three guitar woods like this;

Alder - bright
Basswood - mid
Mahogany - dark

Those are the most commonly used woods, and those are the sounds they usually have. Alder has a nice bright tone, basswood is between alder and mahogany, and mahogany is dark sounding.

Choosing which is best is preference.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Basswood guitars are cheaper because basswood lumber costs less than Mahogany. It's not that mahogany is better, but because mahogany is more rare the people that harvest it have to buy expensive licences, and then export costs, and import costs add to the overall cost of the raw lumber. So when you pay extra for mahogany it's not that you are paying for something "better" you are just paying for something that costs more to build. If the mahogany tone is what you want then it will be worth paying the extra money for a mahogany guitar. If you are happy with basswood then save the mahogany for somebody that want it.
Not taking any online orders.
^That doesn't make you sound ignorant at all.

My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Basswood is excellent.

I play my basswood RG over my mahog RG way more.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by Xenn99
^That doesn't make you sound ignorant at all.

haha, shuttup

I play tons of metal, especially on the harder side, so I'd prefer a darker tone and well, chunkier.

If you placed it in context, i would have been talking about metal

Yes, I confused you, didn't i
Why is everyone saying basswood is bad!?!?!?!?

Read the tonewood guide on Warmoth or just PM Cord. Hah.

EDIT: Edited for strong word content.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Sep 18, 2006,
basswood isnt bad at all, the only downside is it sometimes has mineral streeks in it so maby your basswood isnt great for say a sunburst finish but for sound its fine, sounds great, think of it like this, its pretty easy to darken your bright instrament but its harder to make a dark instrament sound bright.
basswood is bad thats why those cheapskate brands like tom anderson and suhr use it *sarcasm*
Quote by Invictious
haha, shuttup

I play tons of metal, especially on the harder side, so I'd prefer a darker tone and well, chunkier.

If you placed it in context, i would have been talking about metal

Yes, I confused you, didn't i

I don't think you confused anybody.

Just son you know, Your whole "if you placed it in context" thing only works if you had told us you play metal. There are a lot of people that think mahogany is best that don't play metal. To just assume "this guy plays metal" simply because he likes mahogany would be stupid.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I don't think you confused anybody.

Just son you know, Your whole "if you placed it in context" thing only works if you had told us you play metal. There are a lot of people that think mahogany is best that don't play metal. To just assume "this guy plays metal" simply because he likes mahogany would be stupid.

You are asking for some tooth to be broken, buster
Who the hell said basswoods are bad... plywood is, agathis may be, poplar probably but basswood...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
High quality basswoods aren't that bad, but again I'd still go for maho no matter what.

bubinga is also the sex, it's like maho but 10 times, too bad it's heavy and rare though.
Quote by Invictious
High quality basswoods aren't that bad, but again I'd still go for maho no matter what.

bubinga is also the sex, it's like maho but 10 times, too bad it's heavy and rare though.

lol man i don't get you sometimes. sometimes you give good advice and sometimes ure posts confuse teh crap out of me , like always making sure every1 knows you use the biggest guage strings money can buy and that makes you hardcore! man i get it you like big guages and mahogany, doesn't mean mahogany is 10 times better than basswood.

I have both and Alder and Mahog guitar. when playing unplugged the mahog guitar is a lot lot quieter than the alder guitar and yep the alder guitar is a crap load brighter. so i guess basswoods like a healthy median - where i'd say that mahog would be a rythmy kinda guitar alder would be good for cleans and stratty kinda stuff, basswood would be the compromise.
Marty
Haha, because I am enigmatic like that, I was not being ignorant btw, because I have a large penis.

I bet more of you are confused now.
^^ dont be a nob, btw i have all of the info i need now thans to some handy UGers, keep rockin guys
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy