i hav a hard time remembering hard solos (metallica-sanitarium, megadeth-symphony of destruction, and trivium, etc) i usually just improvise the solo or make up my own. any advise to remembering the actual solos?
Learn them 1 bit at a time and just play them over and over and over until you remember them.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
the solos you metioned arent hard (symphony of destruction is tricky, but you couldve picked way harder). 99% of all guitarists improvise most of their solos.
i just learn it gradually, remeber the pattern and whenever i play it it just flows stragihtout
PSN: Noverion
Quote by that1l)ude
the solos you metioned arent hard (symphony of destruction is tricky, but you couldve picked way harder). 99% of all guitarists improvise most of their solos.

sorry but i dont belive that throu^^. I learned the original solo of every cover song I can play.
Quote by that1l)ude

They are hard for him. It's a relative term.

Also, no , no they don't.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
someone else said it above, play the solo note for note bit by bit till you get it down, if you slack off and don't play it for awhile you might go back and play a slightly altered interpretation of the solo but those kick a$$ too, as long as you get the general idea of the solo down, and btw im one of those that may or may not memorize bits and pieces of a solo but its mostly improvised.....
Break down the solo bit by bit, so play like 10-15 notes over and over until you find it easy to play them. This is what is called muscle memory. It's the same concept for example like playing tennis or any other sport so you don't have to think to hard about hitting a ball or so forth. Then you just move onto the next bit, once you have both bits learnt, then you link them together, you now remember them as one bit and then add another 10-15 notes and link that to one. Then move onto the next bit and so forth.

There is unfortunately no magical formula for learning big solos so shredding can be altered slightly, as long as you keep in rhythm and play in the same scale (or it doesn't sound bad) then note for note doesn't really need to be done unless your just some weird fanatic that has to do it that way.

You mentioned you played Trivium stuff, yeh, perfect example i guess would be the gunshot solo, but after a hour or two i had it down in muscle memory pretty good just needed to refine it because i made the odd mistakes here and there.
Split it up and learn it like really fast riffs.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I do it one or two measures at a time. Also, DONT START AT THE BEGINNING EVERY TIME. If you've gotten to bars 11-12, work on them in isolation, then work on adding them to bars 1-10. Otherwise, you'll be wasting time playing stuff you should know instead of getting the new stuff down first.

This is assuming that you have slowed down the solos in the first place and worked them up to clean playing at full speed, which means you shouldn't have THAT hard of a time memorizing the solo.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out