Hey!

Okay, a while back, I played a semi-impro'd blues song with a guitarist called Peter Blegvad (hands up who's heard of him) and just today I was trying to remember it again, because a bunch of people that we wrote it with want to hear me play it again. And i'd quite like to give it a try.

Now, being out of contact with Peter, i'd like to try and work it out, and I've got the chord progression down. Almost. So i need your help to find the last chord.

I know this sounds stupid, but I though people with more guitar based theory than me would get it.

It's a basic 12-bar-blues pattern with these chords:
4 bars of Em
2 bars of Am, then 2 bars of Em
then 1 bar of 'X', 1 bar of Am and 2 bars of Em.

So, my quest is to find 'X', and i'm sure that some people here will work it out.
I've tried various things, and none have sounded right, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.
Grant me the power to change what I can.
Grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change.
Grant me the wisdom to tell the difference.

"I had a hat once.
It was a very fine hat..."
sounds like a B of some form, just from what i've seen i'd say its a I-IV-V, i play the same progression types at home all the time (alotta times though i sub out m7 and M7) if yer playing all M7 , its prolly a M7, same w/ m7
Typically, in minor blues the bVI/bVIma7 will follow two bars of iv/ivmi7 and two bars of i/imi7 - so in your case, perhaps you could try C/Cma7.

Edit: The formula for minor blues typically goes like this.

| im7 | ivm7 | im7 | imi7 | ivm7 | ivm7 | im7 | im7 | bVImaj7 | V7#9 | im7 | V7#9 |

So, in Em.. your progression might look like..

| Em7 | Am7 | Em7 | Em7 | Am7 | Am7 | Em7 | Em7 | Cmaj7 | B7#9 | Em7 | B7#9 |

That might help you fill in some missing blanks, aswell - although you have so many other possibilites with substitutions, it's hard to pin-point one specific chord.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 18, 2006,
Awesome thanks guys!

"I had a hat once.
Rofl@John's first reply

I'd just say it's Bm.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
yeah i was wondering myself if he found the chord he was looking for, although i gotta say i think johns explanation was VERY theroetically sound, i think the poster was probably (i would like to emphasize probably) just playing standard I-IV-V as thats the most common progression in any kind of music and especially 12 bar blues, not that it couldn't have been the progression you listed (I-IV-VI-V basically) just not quite as likely as I-IV-V
wow i never tried the Cmaj7--B7#9 thing, it sounds kickass, also if you use B7#9b13
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Last edited by Dan Steinman at Sep 19, 2006,
Quote by Johnljones7443
Whatcha laughin' at?

Most people that 'know' the probable answer here, just say 'Bm' while you tell the whole story around it and why etc. Made me laugh for a bit
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
I've decided it's a Bm.

Though B7 kinda works aswell, though isn't quite as flexible for the vocals as I'd like, so I'm thinking that B7 is just off the scale that the whole thing is set in.

Bm7 is also a fairly good one, I'll play around for a bit and then decide properly later.

Thanks again

"I had a hat once.
Yes, B7 gives the whole piece (since it's Em-Am-B7 then) an Eharmonic minor scale/sound/feel.
Bm gives it a Em scale/sound/feel.

Just use what you like
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
I've decided I prefer B7 - it makes it brighter and less mucky than another minor chord.

"I had a hat once.