Ok. I'm a bassist/vocalist with 3+ years experience, and I'm doing my 3rd live show next Friday. And it's huge. 2500+ people at a football game.

What they want to do is have a "rock band" rather than a pit band to take up some halftime space and some pregame entertainment. Anyway, when it comes to amp power, I've only got a pair of 100w combos for onstage, making for 200w total horsepower.

My question: what's better, miking or DI?

When it comes to the stage setup, there will be at least two vocal mics. The drums may not get miked, but they may get up to 3 mics if they decide to do so. The guitar cabs will be miked. If we get a keyboardist, he will DI.

I don't really know much about the difference between miking and DI'ing bass due to my limited performance experience, can you guys help?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Sep 18, 2006,
Mic it. With a mic, you get all the boominess of the cab, as well as the tone of the amp. When you DI, there is no boomy bass sound.

I suggest placing the mic between one of the speakers and the tweeter.

EDIT: Almost forgot to say good luck

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Well it depends on the size of the stage, how good their mics are, the acoustics of the venue. Personally, i would take a line-out from my amp to the PA. I wouldnt bother with micing it up. To mic up bass you need some seriously good mics to get a decent sound, not some old SM58's. You're not recording, just playing. I would give the mics to the drum kit - it's essential to have at least three mics on the drum kit, and really that is not enough. Anyway, the venue will have a sound engineer who will look after all this side of things so i wouldnt worry about it too much..

Hope it all goes well mate
i recommend going direct to the PA. use you're line-out, to a direct box, if possible.
this will let you hear yourself through the amps. listen to the sound person there,
they'll know.