I can't seem to figure it out how to create the flanger effect that is used on the intro to Cowboys from Hell. I looked at BossGTcentral forums, but I couldn't find anything. So, if anyone knows how to make this, please post it.
Quote by cochise788
I can't seem to figure it out how to create the flanger effect that is used on the intro to Cowboys from Hell. I looked at BossGTcentral forums, but I couldn't find anything. So, if anyone knows how to make this, please post it.

I don't really think that's a flanger. You might be able to get the same effect with the pitch shifter. Set up the effect to produce 2 voices in mono. The effect mode 1 will be medium. Pitch on both voices will remain at 0, but adjust the fine tuning on voice 1 to +5 and on voice 2 to -8. Adjust the pre-delay on both to about 10ms and 25ms. Feedback should be between 90 and 100. Adjust the level to taste, and keep in mind that this effect will go at the very beginning of the signal chain. If you want to get fancy, adjust the pick dynamics on assigns 1 and 2 to dynamically change the fine pitch control and pre delay on both. I use this kind of effect to get that BLS dual guitar sound. If the pre-delay and fine pitches don't work for you, tweak around with it, but this should get you close.

For the tone, shoot for the Full Range preamp with the Metal Zone on in the OD/Dist block. Low gain on the MZ (below 25) and up the volume and EQ the high-mids up a little bit and it should be just about right. If you've set your levels correctly (I'm guessing you did if you've read the material on the gtcentral site) then you shouldn't have any problems.

What amp are you pumping all of this through?
Quote by TwoString
I don't really think that's a flanger. You might be able to get the same effect with the pitch shifter. Set up the effect to produce 2 voices in mono. The effect mode 1 will be medium. Pitch on both voices will remain at 0, but adjust the fine tuning on voice 1 to +5 and on voice 2 to -8. Adjust the pre-delay on both to about 10ms and 25ms. Feedback should be between 90 and 100. Adjust the level to taste, and keep in mind that this effect will go at the very beginning of the signal chain. If you want to get fancy, adjust the pick dynamics on assigns 1 and 2 to dynamically change the fine pitch control and pre delay on both. I use this kind of effect to get that BLS dual guitar sound. If the pre-delay and fine pitches don't work for you, tweak around with it, but this should get you close.

For the tone, shoot for the Full Range preamp with the Metal Zone on in the OD/Dist block. Low gain on the MZ (below 25) and up the volume and EQ the high-mids up a little bit and it should be just about right. If you've set your levels correctly (I'm guessing you did if you've read the material on the gtcentral site) then you shouldn't have any problems.

My god, You know your ****. Thats probably one of the most concise best answers ever I've seen for a while...and I'm not asskissing here or trying to get sigged.
Quote by TwoString

Thanks man! I've been told by several people that it was a flanger effect, but I guess they were wrong. I'm playing through pretty much all of the amps that are in my sig, except the marshall.
Quote by Tarzan_man
My god, You know your ****. Thats probably one of the most concise best answers ever I've seen for a while...and I'm not asskissing here or trying to get sigged.

I try to know as much as possible...this is all one can hope for. I also try to give the best answers I can, because I'm fairly sure that the people that post them have nothing but hope that someone will answer their question without some retarded comment like "why do you want that effect?" or "it's not a flanger, n00b" or "the GT-8 sucks...get a real rig and we'll talk". Apathy breeds ignorance, and there's no reason for someone not to try something, no matter what others say. Thanks for the kind words...

Quote by cochise788
Thanks man! I've been told by several people that it was a flanger effect, but I guess they were wrong. I'm playing through pretty much all of the amps that are in my sig, except the marshall.

I took a peak at the pics, and I should have edited my post to include this, but all I really see is speakers bro. I think I see something that resembles a Fender Twin...mabye a couple of Peavey Delta Blues (or they could be bass amps, hard to tell) and a Music Man cabinet. Are you driving the other speaker cabs with these amps or do you have power amps for them? Please correct me if I'm wrong about the amps...the pictures are a little small and it's hard to tell what's there.
The easiest solution for a tone thats not exact would be a phaser, it will give you a dryer sound than a flanger
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio