Hi guys and gals,
first post so don't be mean!
Ok here's the deal, I'm just starting out with guitars and have a little problem, albeit only on occasion. Every now and then when I turn on my amp I get an annoying buzzing sound (without touching a string). The only thing I can liken it to is the sound you get when you're picking up next door's child monitor. (I've heard it through my tutors amp too when my guitar is plugged into it). The next day when I pick up the guitar the buzzing is gone. I changed the jack socket on the guitar because it held the plug a little too loose for my liking.
Has anyone ever experienced this and have any corrective suggestions?

Guitar is a Strat American deluxe 2002 (or about that year) with noiseless pickups and the amp is a Vox AD50VT.

Thanks
Mine always seems to have this annoying buzzing sound about 10 seconds before my cell phone rings or whenever my cell phone is in a certain area around the amp. Seriously. It's the weirdest thing. It also does it with other people's amps and occasionally other people's phones. I don't know if that's your problem though.
not even "noiseless" pickups are always completely noiseless. And some areas are more active with electromagnetic interference than others. It's normal.
Hi, I'm Peter
I forgot to mention it's normally pretty silent. However, when it starts buzzing, I can stop it just by lightly resting my finger on any of the strings.
Quote by gcol
I forgot to mention it's normally pretty silent. However, when it starts buzzing, I can stop it just by lightly resting my finger on any of the strings.

Your guitar is poorly grounded. Do some internet research on silencing Strats. www.guitarnuts.com is a good place to start. You should shield the thing while you're at it. Fender (and most other manufacturers) have really pathetic factory wiring practices.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Your guitar is poorly grounded. Do some internet research on silencing Strats. www.guitarnuts.com is a good place to start. You should shield the thing while you're at it. Fender (and most other manufacturers) have really pathetic factory wiring practices.

You're wrong. To threadstarter, when it does that, are you standing close to your amp? If yes, it's normal that when your hand is not on the strings that there is a little buzz, it's called feedback.
I'm not wrong. Feedback isn't "buzzing." Feedback is squealing. And what he's talking about is classic poor shielding/poorly grounded buzz.

Caveat: If I am wrong, then it's from his inability to accurately describe the problem.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 18, 2006,
My schools portable PA picks up radio stations like its a radio. Ur probably just getting feedback from stanbing too close to the amp. One question are you playing on the clean or drive channel?
I'm pretty sure it's not feedback or that would be continuous - this is only on occasion. I'm sat about 4 to 5 feet away from the front of the amp (more or less facing it) but I have moved about and it seems to make no difference wherever I go. Plus the fact that I've heard it at my tutors place kinda suggests to me that it's down to the guitar. I'll have a look at that website Dirk Gently kindly suggested and see about shielding it because it does seem to me as though it's being interferred with by another signal.
Thanks for all the replies.

p.s. thisfallen, I'm not sure what you mean by "clean" or "drive" channel - this is all new to me.
Quote by gcol
p.s. thisfallen, I'm not sure what you mean by "clean" or "drive" channel - this is all new to me.

Drive is increasing the volume of the preamp to a point where signal clipping occurs, creating distortion - otherwise known as overdrive. Clean is a classification given to the undistorted amplified sound.

Drive channel produces a distorted sound (crunch), clean channel produces an undistorted sound.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Quote by Dirk Gently
Just thought I'd post an update. You were right Dirk - I shielded the guitar and changed the grounding and it's much much better. My guitar teacher was most impressed with the difference and I think he's going to do his now.
Thanks again.