Page 1 of 2
This should probably go in the gear forum, but i want the opinions of people in the shred forum. (Wonder if mods get pissed seeing that kind of statemeant a lot?)

What strings do people here who play shred/instrumental oriented stuff use? I use GHS 11's. they're bloody wonderful.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
On my Floyd which is in standard tuning, I use .09's.

For my Strat style bridge, (which is currently in Drop C, I had it in B Standard and Drop A for quite a while) I use .13's
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
I was just fixing to make a thread on this. Cause right now I'm using Ernie Ball super slinky. But I dont think they're very Shreddy(if thats a word)
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
Last edited by hepzibahbaptist at Sep 19, 2006,
Hybrids. Top end 3 string out of a 0.9 set and the heavy 3 bass strings out of a 0.10 chunky riffs easy bending

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
D'addario XXL110 10-46 Nickel Coated
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
D'addario 0.009 - 0.046 : light tops, medium botoms, they're great

and

Da'ddario 0.012 - 0.052 : but I don't shred on these, I put them on my modded blues squier
EB Super Slinkys/Regular Slinkys/Hybrid Slinkys
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by Resiliance

I gennerally use those, but last time I changed strings I bought EB slinky's because the store was out of D'Addarios and I can't stand the EB strings (and unfortunately I still haven't changed them)
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
GHS 09's for my floyd rose n4.

and 11's for my fretless guitar.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by Resiliance

I used to use those. But I couldnt keep them from rusting within a week, even if my guitar was in a case
Lack of options presides for me because the stores around here suck. I have to use GHS 9's/10's.

I'm going to start ordering my strings. I played with a set of D'addario 10's once and it was quite nice. None of the stores around me carry them though.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
11's on the top 4, 12s or 13s on the bottom two. I'm currently testing different brands.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
the sound of D'addario strings detereaorates fast. they sound ****ty real quick. 2-3 months after you put them on you will hate the sound they make, usually 2-3 months is when i change my strings anyway but they got a lot worse than any other strings i've used (although that's not very many.)

Do you guys know what strings shredders use?
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

A lot of them use EB strings, if you see an EB advertisement (the one with just the string package) then you'll see a huge list of artists that use Ernie Ball strings. 2 shredders that I'm quite sure use EB strings are Steve Vai and John Petrucci
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by eviledge87

There was a thread about it a while back. Run a search.

That is, if you are referring to the likes of Yngwie, Vai, Satriani, and the lot.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by Scorzerci
A lot of them use EB strings, if you see an EB advertisement (the one with just the string package) then you'll see a huge list of artists that use Ernie Ball strings. 2 shredders that I'm quite sure use EB strings are Steve Vai and John Petrucci

Yeah, but the standard ones we buy aren't coated in the blood of virgin females.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by eviledge87
the sound of D'addario strings detereaorates fast. they sound ****ty real quick. 2-3 months after you put them on you will hate the sound they make, usually 2-3 months is when i change my strings anyway but they got a lot worse than any other strings i've used (although that's not very many.)

2-3 months?

Dude...?!?

Duh!

Quote by Scorzerci

Well yeah but companies like to put artists that once used their strings on their advertisements, not necessarily saying they aren't anymore... i.e. Paul Gilbert and Dean Markley...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by public property
Yeah, but the standard ones we buy aren't coated in the blood of virgin females.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
D'Addario 10-46 on the Jem, Rotosounds Blues 10-52 on the Strat.

I want to put a 10-52 on the Jem too, but I can't level the trem.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
okay i have a set...lookin on the back of them (Ernie Ball)

Petrucci, Clapton, Page, Beck, Morse, Lukather, Vai, Iron Maiden, Spinal Tap, Vinnie moore, Demartini, Brad Paisley, Judas Priest, Synester Gates, Dweevil Zappa.

Not all of them are "shredders" but thats the ones that stood out to me
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
D'addario 13's with the wounded G. Hard to play, but they sound great.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Quote by psychodelia
Spinal Tap uses Ernie Balls??? *Rushes to Guitar Center*

it is why i use them
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:

Quote by PooKoo
for shred, .09s are the best but i dont like d addarios as they pop quick.

I use .10s on my Dime 333 (in d standard so it feels like .09s to me)
i use .11s-.70's on my strat (b standard and a# standard)
Quote by Midnight 260

Petrucci, Clapton, Page, Beck, Morse, Lukather, Vai, Iron Maiden, Spinal Tap, Vinnie moore, Demartini, Brad Paisley, Judas Priest, Synester Gates, Dweevil Zappa.

nice list, but synester takes away -10 from the reputation of that list.
Then again, Vai gives it +1000000000000 so good find.
as far as recordings go synyster gates is a decent gutiarist above the normal standard on teh radio, no where near anyone on that list but good none the less.
Quote by Freepower

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:

Quote by PooKoo
Quote by Resiliance
2-3 months?

Dude...?!?

Duh!

i figured someone would say that. It got so bad i couldn't play guitar anymore, which means a lot since i don't do much else. But yeeh i know strings start to get pretty lousy in 2-3 months time. (And I'm not sure about the time that was a guess it was a while ago.) Also the guy who owns the guitar store i take lessons at told me D'addario acoustic strings sound terrible within two weeks. Although a lot of people here seem to use them so maybe i should try them again.
Quote by Prophet of Page

Quote by Midnight 260
as far as recordings go synyster gates is a decent gutiarist above the normal standard on teh radio, no where near anyone on that list but good none the less.

yeah i totally agree, but ive had to get aggresive recently with newbs that dont get that.

I saw them live, and sysnester did decent (but still nowhere near vai or anything like that), but i hate zacky vengeance SO much. During that very basic arpeggio in Bat Country, he had to lean on his amp and barely got it out.

They were freaking 8th notes and he couldnt stay on time with em!
Quote by garden of grey
yeah i totally agree, but ive had to get aggresive recently with newbs that dont get that.

I saw them live, and sysnester did decent (but still nowhere near vai or anything like that), but i hate zacky vengeance SO much. During that very basic arpeggio in Bat Country, he had to lean on his amp and barely got it out.

They were freaking 8th notes and he couldnt stay on time with em!

petrucci stands on a milk crate
Quote by Freepower

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:

Quote by PooKoo
^
but does he get caught up on 8th notes while doing so?

secondly, milk crates> amps.
I made a tower out of a bunch i stole in elementary school and got to the top of a swingset.
Zacky Vengeance couldnt do that.
I want to comment on the brands for a moment. I've played guitar for seven years now and in that time I've used a lot of strings. From my opinion. Ernie Ball strings sound nice for about a week or two and they break in your average amount of time. Fender strings, sound pretty bad all the time, but last awhile. Elixer sound really good, and last awhile but aren't worth the money. D'addario seem overrated as in my experience they break too easily, but sound really nice. GHS sound relatively good and last awhile, but not very versatile. Dean Markley, break way too easily and their cyrogenic process doesn't help the string too much. DR strings are the best overall. They sound remarkable and last a very long time. Imagine only having to change the strings only about three times a year. I've used various gauges as well and I prefer 11's on single coil guitars, 10's on a hollowbody and 9's on humbucker equipped guitars. Again, don't forget, this is just from my personal experience and my own opinion. Hope this helped, somewhat.
u r back motha****a ?

welcome back homez
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
to mental hop: why do you use .09's on your humbucker? I have .11's on mine because i like their sound more than .10's. And i started using .10's for a while because my teacher told me that was normal for beginners. As for DR, i might have to switch to that brand cause Alexi laiho uses them and apperently they can take a lot of abuse and sound good in dropped tunings.
Quote by Prophet of Page

Quote by Resiliance

I'm in transition between those and Dean Markley's.
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
i use daddario super top regular bottoms 0.0o9-0.046 or the 0.009-0.042 i until now had my guitar tuned down one whole step but now im using regular tuning and what i can tell about the string that when new they sound good or very good, nice, super... but after a week or 10 days the thin ones 1-3 start to oxidate and in some 2-3 weeks i buy new ones cause the old ones sound like ****.
Quote by eviledge87
to mental hop: why do you use .09's on your humbucker? I have .11's on mine because i like their sound more than .10's. And i started using .10's for a while because my teacher told me that was normal for beginners. As for DR, i might have to switch to that brand cause Alexi laiho uses them and apperently they can take a lot of abuse and sound good in dropped tunings.

Well I use that as a general rule for most of my guitars. In my Hondo Les Paul I have a Dimarzio Fred in the bridge and a stock in the neck. The Hondo was my first guitar which is actually really good quality and the stock pickup is like a machine. If I use anything above 9's on it it gets a little darker than I'd prefer. The stock pup and the Fred are so different in their tone that if I moved up to 10's then the neck would muddy and if I moved down to 8's the Fred would sound too thin. 9's seem like the perfect balance. It's really like having two different guitars in one. But I'll take your advice on my Ibanez RG170, I'll probably move up to 10's since there is a single coil in the middle that doesn't come across the way I'd like it to. Thanks.
DR strings are 17 bucks a package! holy ****! i might buy a set anyway, so i can get some strings that are "faggy colors" as a freind of mine put it.
Quote by Prophet of Page

Page 1 of 2