I know some people use effect boards/amp modeling boards with their tube amp heads to get a really nice Tube Distortion with modeled amps

one popular compbination is using a POD xt live with a Mesa or Marshall

such is calld using the pod as the 'preamp ' or someting

I am new to this and would like to try it out.

how am I to set this up, I have podxt live and JCM800. I'm interested in the MESABOOGIE Amp model with tube distortion.

Any ideas?
1981 Marshall JCM800 2203
Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier 2 Channel
Sobbat Drive Breaker 1
I think you just install it as a normal effect...?

It will make it sound worse though. MultiFX's are crap.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by zenjirou
I know some people use effect boards/amp modeling boards with their tube amp heads to get a really nice Tube Distortion with modeled amps

one popular compbination is using a POD xt live with a Mesa or Marshall

such is calld using the pod as the 'preamp ' or someting

I am new to this and would like to try it out.

how am I to set this up, I have podxt live and JCM800. I'm interested in the MESABOOGIE Amp model with tube distortion.

Any ideas?

Plug the output from the POD into the effects loop return of the JCM 800...don't plug anything in anywhere else on the amp (except for the speaker cab, of course). Now when you plug your guitar into the POD, the preamp modeling (and effects modules for that matter) is now your preamp. You'll set the preamp module just as you would a normal amp, keeping in mind that this is a digital representation of the amplifier and will not respond the same way (you can't just crank the levels, you want to do the opposite, and in moderation). After you've got a decent level on the POD, it's pretty much up to the power tubes in the amp...I'm not quite sure of the circuit anymore, it's been years since I've jacked with a JCM 800, but you might still have use of the master volume control. You're really not going to be able to saturate the power tubes...the output from the POD will be just a few notches above line level if you've set the levels correctly...but the effect should be pretty decent. I use the same setup with my GT-8 and Hot Rod Deluxe, and the whole thing comes off nicely. Let me know how this works for you.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I think you just install it as a normal effect...?

It will make it sound worse though. MultiFX's are crap.

in the average price range, yes. spend enough money and they really turn great...t.c. electronics g force (unit? something like that.) $1200, but worth every penny.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
in the average price range, yes. spend enough money and they really turn great...t.c. electronics g force (unit? something like that.) $1200, but worth every penny.

I believe we need to make something clear here...

The GT-8 can be classified as a multi-effect unit, yes, but it is also an amplifier modeler. The TC Electronics G-Force, while great at producing multiple effects, cannot be classified as a modeler. The GT-8 has a little more range, then, as the amplifier models can be used as distortion/overdrive effects themselves.

Also, the G-Force does not have the flexible routing capabilities of the GT-8 (the G-Force cannot be connected via the 4 cable method, which would allow you to place overdrive and compression before the preamp of whatever amplifier you were using. The only option you would have with the G-Force would be to either place everything before the preamp of your amplifier, which would place modulation and delay/reverb through every gain stage of the amp, or to use the G-Force in the effects loop, which would place the drive and compression effects after the preamp, and possibly introducing a source for noise in the signal).

The G-Force is great, but to me it's price isn't warranted when the GT-8 does more for less. The effects "quality" may not match TC Electronics, but the flexibility of the unit outperforms the G-Force. Also, to me the overdrive effects on the G-Force are completely useless. But it's pitch shifting, chorus and delay can't be beat. Then again, we're arguing about two different units in COMPLETELY different price and application classes...there really is no comparison when you get down to it. Now, comparing the GT-Pro with the G-Force might be a better argument, but I believe the GT-Pro has it outclassed in that segment as well.