as the title suggests, I've been looking into this used Warwick bass that was brought to my attention when my cousin was picking up his guitar from the local shop when he wandered into the used section...he knows a thing or two about basses so he immediately called me after seeing a used Warwick...which he knew would be something I'd love...

anyways, I'm not totally sure what model it is though...I'm pretty sure its some kind of Streamer because it has that Streamer-type top horn and body style...however, the rest of the bass just baffles me...maybe one of you Warwickheads can help me figure it out...

its got
- two knobs, tone and volume (passive electronics)
- one large humbucker in the middle (MEC pickup, magnet thingies not exposed)
- weird chocolate-y paint job, much darker than the usual Thumb bass with a lot of stripes and stuff, not zebra stripes mind you, but stripes that look like they would occur on a nice slab of wood...pretty sure its not the natural wood though, I'm thinking it was painted/stained to look that way.
- average tilted down tuners, W on the headstock, "Warwick West Germany" on the tuners, "Warwick - The sound of Wood" on the truss rod cover, etc...So I'm pretty sure its a real wick..
- Average "Warwick" brand bridge.
- Price tag: "Warwick 4 string bass, $600"

Even though it had dead steel strings on it, it sounded very good! I'm surprised I didnt notice this before but all warwicks have this certain tone about them...maybe its the wood or something but it sounded very punchy, not in a twangy, annoyingly obnoxious way but the tone was something very natural and clean. I started playing some Mudvayne basslines and it suddenly occured to me - after playing the intro part to "Severed" - that Ryan does not use effects or amp tricks to achieve his tone, its all in the bass! I probably knew this before but without playing a Warwick I would never know...I guess its a trait of warwicks that took me while to appreciate..

Anyways, if anyone can offer insight on what this bass is and whether I should buy it or not, it'd be much appreciated...sometime down the line I might become the proud owner of a Warwick!

BTW my price range atm is $11.57 , but whattya expect! I'm just your average GAS ridden 16 year old! Its not an obsession, I only check ebay, talkbass, and craigslist 3 times a day!

but hey I'm sure I could scrounge up some cash for this baby...or I could put it on layaway...or I could sell my SR500...hmm..

wow this was pretty long....im gonna go now.

:EDIT: I might be able to get a picture of it this week...if my digital camera works and if I can get to the store again this week.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Sep 18, 2006,
I'm not a warwick head but that kind of sounds like a fortress, frotresses are gold, they are acctually now out of prodution the only fortresses made now is by Rockbass by Warwick.

Or it could be a Streamer jazzman ive never personally played one but that also could be it im sure its got the expected warwick quality.

But yea save p for that man i love warwicks to and i want one but i dont have a penny to my name.
If its not a rockbass, and its in good condition, and its pre '96, 600 seems like a great deal even for a standard model (and it could be better lol).

BTW: the closest thing i could find is a Warwick Fortress off google:

http://www.woodsys.com/files/pics/WarwickMM4.jpg

but it has 3 knobs and is green lol. Maybe its just an old Fortress model with different electronics. aah who knows lol..

Check out the warwick site tho and tell us which body shape it most looks like!

warwickbass.com
If you like the sound and feel of it, go for it!!! I don't like Ibanez as a company, and I havn't really played any good Ibanez'. But I love my '505.

One thing though, play it through the amp you own, or one of the same model/brand. It really makes a difference sometimes. A $2100 tube SVT is going to sound nicer than a Fender Rumble.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
I already checked the warwick site, I couldnt find the exact bass I played, obviously , but I'd say it looks most like...a streamer, lol...the body, except for the top horn, very closely resembles that green Fortress bass as well...basic shape, pickup position...

but pretty much all the streamers have the same basic shape and this one wasnt too different, like this
http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/streamer_2.html
i dont think it was that tall though, the body...it was a bit...shorter, lol do you get what I mean by that?...and the bridge was different, shaped like a normal bridge off a Fender or something...except its of better quality and is made by Warwick, does this mean its old?

anyways, the finish looks like this one
http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/cruiser.html
(the brown one on the right)

and yea I played it through a Peavey TNT 115 combo amp (which isnt the same as what I have but it was nothing too great or too crappy) with all the EQ/Tone Shaping things flat...I tried to get the purest sound possible, and sure enough it did sound like a great warwick..

And Inky, I do love the feel and sound of the bass (its got one of the most comfortable necks I've ever laid my hands on, ) but I just wanted to get some 2nd opinions on whether it'd be a good buy or not...If I went around buying every bass that felt and sounded great to me I'd be in debt up to my eyeballs! Pretty much, i was trying to discern whether this was another GAS attack that I'd get over in a few days or something serious.

thanks for the input guys
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
yes, yes, thats it!

even though the finish was darker, its the same one.

do you know what year that was produced? is 600 bucks a good price for a used one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WARWICK-5-STRING-STREAMER-STANDARD-5-ALL-WOOD-BASS_W0QQitemZ140028731638QQcmdZViewItem
like that, minus the 2nd pickup and 3rd knob
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Sep 18, 2006,
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
yes, yes, thats it!

even though the finish was darker, its the same one.

do you know what year that was produced? is 600 bucks a good price for a used one?

It sounds like a great price to me

I'm not 100% sure of the production date. Check on http://www.warwick.de for dates.

awesome.

that link doesnt work though...doesnt matter though, I can probably conclude that these were discontinued sometime around 1999-2001...I can probably check the serial number on the Streamer though...

I want this bass so, it looks like I might have to sell off my SR500...anyone here interested?...probably not, , anyway, some people owe me money so hopefully I can put the down payment on the bass later this week...I hope no one gets to if before me.

I should play it a lot more though...I've been reading some reviews and some people say the MEC pickups dont give too much clarity when you play fast, metal-type stuff and I just joined a metal band!...and some people say the pickups are extremely low output, I'll have to see though, maybe do an A-B comparison with my main bass (modded Traben Torrent 5 string)...
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
awesome.

that link doesnt work though...doesnt matter though, I can probably conclude that these were discontinued sometime around 1999-2001...I can probably check the serial number on the Streamer though...

I want this bass so, it looks like I might have to sell off my SR500...anyone here interested?...probably not, , anyway, some people owe me money so hopefully I can put the down payment on the bass later this week...I hope no one gets to if before me.

I should play it a lot more though...I've been reading some reviews and some people say the MEC pickups dont give too much clarity when you play fast, metal-type stuff and I just joined a metal band!...and some people say the pickups are extremely low output, I'll have to see though, maybe do an A-B comparison with my main bass (modded Traben Torrent 5 string)...

From my experiance with Warwicks, the MEC's are low out-put at all. But I've never played a passive MEC before.

The easiest way to check the production date is to look at the last 2 numbers on the serial number (back of headstock) those are the year produced.

Up until a little while ago warwick had links to their old models on their basses page, which they took down. That was one of them.
Quote by XeNoCiDe730

My local Music Zone has the same bass for $450. See if you can bring him down some on the price.
Quote by elemenohpee
From my experiance with Warwicks, the MEC's are low out-put at all. But I've never played a passive MEC before.

I'm assuming you meant arent, I'm not nitpicking or anything, I'm just trying to make sure I understand what you're saying.

The easiest way to check the production date is to look at the last 2 numbers on the serial number (back of headstock) those are the year produced.

Great, I'll be sure to check that.

Quote by Bumper
My local Music Zone has the same bass for $450. See if you can bring him down some on the price.

damn...

I'll definitely see about that...I dont really have that bussinessman or lets-make-a-deal kinda rhetoric but I'm sure I could bring him down a bit because apparently no one in the store knows what bass that is....the two bassists that work there agree thats its some sort of streamer but they dont know for sure....they know its a Warwick and they know that most Wicks cost around a grand or more so they figure they can get 600 for it...I have no idea what to say about getting a lower price though...but with my uncharismatic manner it will probably be something like "can you lower the price on that a bit?"

smooth
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Sep 19, 2006,
Walk in, pick up the bass and try it out for a while, if they notice you, ask them how much they're selling it for... when they answer 600 you pout your lips and squint your eyes while looking at the bass. Look over the bass again with your eyes as if you're sizing it up and seeing if it's worth it. Then look up at him and say "I have 500 hundred dollars in my pocket and I'm interested in walking out of here with this bass today. Can we do anything about that?" If you're feeling suave you can go with 450 right off the bat. But say you whent with 500 to begin with and they refused to sell it for that much. Then say... "well the best I can do over that is $525 but then I'd have to call for a ride because that's gas money bro." If he's an older guy (late 30's and up) be respectful and don't call him bro, but if he's not all that much older than you go for it to make things a little more casual. If they still refuse then say alright then, nice doing bussiness with you. But don't ever get butthurt and diss on them or make a smart comment or anything or they'll never take you seriously after that. Say it was nice doing bussiness and walk out.

Now you get underhanded, you send one of your buddies in a few days later to offer an even lower price as if he's interested in the same bass. If they refuse him which they more than likely will because they already had someone offer more (which was you). Then you get your buddy to say "Good luck having anyone pay any more for that thing"... You might want another friend to do this again so the owners will get a hint and think that what they're asking is actually indeed too much. Then about 2 weeks after your first visit you come walking in again with your first initial offer and they'll more than likely consider it because that's the highest they've had anybody come in willing to pay for it.

Yeah, it's a little underhanded... but it's not like it's highway robbery. Warwicks are too expensive to begin with so don't feel too sympathetic. You gotta do what you gotta do to get yours sometimes. Plus like you said the shop owners don't even seem to know much about the bass so this would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Plus if somehow these guys turn out to be horrible bussiness men and actaully accept your friends offer over yours then you can just give your friend the money and have him buy it for you and you still get it cheaper in the end. But that's not very likely to happen.

EDIT: Good luck with all that.
Last edited by Kendawg4TooL at Sep 19, 2006,
^

thats a pretty friggin smart strategy, I have a feeling you've done this before ...I'll be sure to do that...i also kinda know the owner of the store so I might be able to play the "repeat customer" card...I've spent about 800 bucks in bass gear at that store already

thanks kenny
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Sep 19, 2006,
Warwick of Germany does not build "low end" basses. you're model is not listed in my book, but i would love to own a "Wick". the advice given by Kendawg4TooL, is right on. those guys probably paid $150 for it. that bass, if it's real, is worth 5 Ibanez's.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
If you like the sound and feel of it, go for it!!! I don't like Ibanez as a company, and I havn't really played any good Ibanez'. But I love my '505.

Quote by 83lespaulstudio
that bass, if it's real, is worth 5 Ibanez's.

but really... I considered upgrading to a warwick in the future, but i dont think anything under 2000 dollars for a warwick will be much of an upgrade (or ENOUGH of an upgrade, i should say) to what i have...
^I was on a budget of $550 when I got my Ibby. I managed to match that budget. I'm not planning on buying a new bass any time soon. I love my Ibby and know how to do everything on it.

Warwick of Germany does not build "low end" basses. you're model is not listed in my book, but i would love to own a "Wick". the advice given by Kendawg4TooL, is right on. those guys probably paid $150 for it. that bass, if it's real, is worth 5 Ibanez's. [/QUOT

We've already established that it is a warwick Standard Streamer. They were Warwicks budget basses for their short production span. Almost like a Rockbass that says Warwick on the headstock.

To Xeno: Stores usually mark up the price a few bucks, it should be no problem cutting a deal with them, expecially if you spend alot of cash there. Just offer him $500, and if they won't take it let them know that you can get it at other places for that price. Most salesmen work on commision, so they'll be happy to let it go.
Quote by mangablade

but really... I considered upgrading to a warwick in the future, but i dont think anything under 2000 dollars for a warwick will be much of an upgrade (or ENOUGH of an upgrade, i should say) to what i have...

A nice thing about Warwicks are they are pretty easy to find used. And often a lot cheaper. I got My Fortress One for just over $700 and it's a '93 wick.
Quote by mangablade
Then what do you mean "i havent played any good ibby's" ?

Right after i said that, I said "But I love mine". Basically, every ibanez I sit down and play has something wrong with it. I just love mine. It feels perfect, not to sound cocky or anything.

Nah i no what you mean, i find a few other SR505's even crappy. But i love mine to death, perfect for me.

i just thought you meant you hate em all INCLUDING yours or something, was a bit confused.