You know how one plays guitar in the regular (right-handed fashion)... But I have seen Michael Angelo Batio and the long hair dude from dragon force fretting from top of the neck instead of the bottom ( the usual way ). I just dont understand the point. is it just to look cool? Or to play faster? Are the string better muted this way?

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
Just to look cool.

Yeah, its dumb, i know...
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Fretting from the top of the neck? What do you mean?
The best explaination I can come up with right now is that they could be doing it to achieve a better timbre; or, at least, a timbre they like more. An open high e string is the same note as a 14th fret E on the D string, but the 14th fret one has a much bassier timbre. Sometimes it's just a preference thing, where you choose to fret.
But could you maybe explain it a bit better? Or if you could find a picture of what you're talking about, that'd be awesome. It's just that I can't really tell you why they're doing it when I don't exactly know what it is, you know?
Quote by lespaul_rentals
He means holding your fretting hand over the top of the neck.

Picture, please? I kind of think I know what you're talking about, but I'm really not sure.
I often wondered this, and it is good to learn it is just to sound cool! What feckin' retards. I hope they catch influenza and suffer from it for a week!
yeah but it achieves its goal man. it looks bad ass. only reason i'd ever listen to a d-force song. singer sucks, li and other dude rock ass.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by Gutch220
It's just to look cool and showoff.

Watch this. He's rediculously good, it's just not my thing

Oh, okay. I've actually seen a vid of MAB doing that before, but I didn't know that's what you were talking about.
Yeah, I'm not sure why that's necessary. It looks harder than regular fretting, because you don't have that thumb anchoring your hand in the back of the neck. It's shred, though, and MAB's stuff especially is mostly for looks, so yeah, that's the only reason you'd want to learn that. To look cool. School talent show stuff. It looks harder to do than normal fretting, so I don't know why you'd want to learn it. Aside from looking impressive, it adds nothing to the musical depth.
Well the reason Herman Li does it is because he is actually left handed. When he bought his first guitar, like most teenage musicians are, he was poor. Thus, he could only afford a right handed guitar. Li obviously wasn't the brightest young man and decided to learn to play right handed rather than reverse his strings and play left handed. I think he later learned to play left handed as well, and that's why he flips it when he goes into solos.
Glad to know that i dont have to add that to my list of techniques I need to learn. LOL

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
I flip my fretting hand over the top sometimes when I'm playing slide, to get better access to the area over the pickups.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out