It's been like 2 weeks and I even broke down sections of the songs so my fingers know where to go.

Well I'm doing horrible and my fingers doesn't seem like they want to hit the strings, they kind of slide off the strings sometimes or sometimes I FULYL MISS THE STRINGS!

I'm trying to master Opeth - Patterns in the Ivy it's an acoustic piece.

I could post a video of myself trying to play so you guys could pin point my problems. Would you guys watch it ?

Maybe it's because it's only been 2 months of trying to learn? But it's an easy song what people say.

The part where I screw up most is where I use a semi barre chord, I got a pic.
Attachments:
patternsinivy.JPG
Last edited by Reez at Sep 18, 2006,
Well Dont attempt opeth 2 weeks in there stuff can be hard the measure after the one you highlighted is much harder than the one you highlighed
oh you mean the repeat part intro (if not the other bar after is still easier I think)? I can nail that part but I still screw it up sometimes. It's forming the barre chord I'm having trouble with there's like a 3 second pause.

How long does it take you guys to master a song anyways ?
Last edited by Reez at Sep 18, 2006,
Hmm... here's my analysis for the measure you boxed:
It's actually easier than a barre chord. Barred chords suck. They hurt. So that measure should actually turn out to be easier than a full barre. Here, try this. Just use your first (index) finger on the E string, third (ring) finger on the A string, fourth (pinky) finger on the D string, and your second (middle) finger on the G string. If this were a barre chord, it'd be your basic major barre chord shape. But since it's not a barre, you don't have to stress yourself trying to lay your first finger all across the fretboard. Just make sure that the 1st fret F on the E string is the only fret your first finger is touching. There. That should be much more comfortable for you.
And about how long it takes me to master a song: it's really all about practice. Some songs are harder than others, but when you get right down to it, if you practice hard and dedicate yourself to a song, you can learn a difficult song and master it just as well as you could an easier song. So my advice is to just keep trying, even if you're frustrated. What'll probably happen is you'll hit a point where everything just starts coming really easy to you, and the song should be a breeze to master. Once you pass a certain road block, the rest of the song usually turns out to be easy. So just keep trying, that's really all it takes. Good luck!
THank you... I hate barre chords.

I think I popped a blood vessel in my fretting hand today, there is like a black dot around the area of a vein.
OH MY GOD! I can't believe you just said barre chords suck! Yea, they are HARD to master... as is most anything guitar related. But they rule... I mean if you can get full barre chords down, it's just a matter of moving up and down the fretboard and changing the other 3 fingers around into various paterns your muscles have learned.

But they don't suck. They can help create AWSOME sounds! Now, have I even begun to get into barre chords myself... no. But you know, just as I, that a ton of the great songs we listen to have some form of barre chord in them.

Don't ever say something sucks just because it's hard... cause if you call ONE thing by "this sux" on the guitar because it's hard, you are calling the entire guitar itself "this sux". (I know that last sentence sucks quite badly on the grammarical side of things, along with my poor spelling...)
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
^I only meant barre chords suck because they're hard. They sound fine. I have nothing against their sound. I only said they suck because if you've ever played a song that extensively uses them ("Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" by Led Zeppelin in standard tuning, for instance), they hurt. That's all I meant by saying that they suck. It's ridiculous to assume that I would hate all barre chords in general... that wouldn't even make sense. Why would I (or anyone else, for that matter) have something against the sound of barre chords? Cripes, you jumped to a bit of conclusion there, if you ask me. All I meant was that barre chords hurt. If you'd have begun getting into barre chords yourself, you would've understood that, and known that that's all I meant when I said that barre chords suck.