Page 1 of 14
Im tired of people thinking rap sucks saying things like its too repetitive, the lyrics suck, and **** like that. I agree that a lot of mainstream sucks but I just want to know if there is anyone else out there that has rap as one of their favorite genres.
I love artists like:
Outkast
Blackalicious
Aesop Rock
Bone Thugz
Tribe Called Quest and
Dr. Octagon
anyone? anyone?
or am i totally alone?
oh so alone...
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
"gangster rap" and other rap like that sucks....rap like Outkast and DMC arent (C)rap. but i would have to say 98% of rap is ****
the new rap pisses me off but i dont mind the old rap like public enemy, easy e, etc
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
I dont care what anyone says rappers have no musical talent at all.
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
im into christian musc...most rap is 'dirty'...and christian rap is the queerest crap ever...
i just hate the rap the media is into right now.
i love rap metal.
and outkast is just kickass.
but i really dont like most of todays rap.
This thread has been done a few times recently I think, or at least threads that lead to the same debate.
Old rap = good
new age wannabe gangsta "look at ma grillz" shit = bad

EDIT:

*sigh* where did all the good music like this go?

You better click me
Last edited by happytimeharry at Sep 18, 2006,
99.9 % of rap is brutal, some legit hip hop like run dmc is decent, 50 cent, eminem and all that crap is a joke.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
Everyone should listen to K-OS. Frickin amazing. It's barely concidered rap I think, probably more hip-hop than anything, but wow the music is amazing.
^
I like all rap.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Hip-Hop is the best genre in music, you just gotta know where to look, all the gangsta wannabes polluting the airwaves give rap a bad name. Listen to some Madlib Blackalicious or J dilla, thats good stuff.
even when rap has good lyrics its not music. It may be good poetry but its not music. NO MUSICAL TALENT INVOLVED
Everybody who has no faith in rap listen to Quasimotos The Unseen, it'll restore you're faith in it, like it did for me.
see, if you guys ever ventured out into anywhere else on ug, you'd know that there is a thread dedicated to good rap. However, as I dont want to ruin that thread by linking there, I'll just let you try to find it on your own... actually, keep up the arguing, as its fun to watch equally arrogant and ignorant parties argue about something that really doesnt matter

(this was the most pretentious post I have ever made... er... sorry?)
All rap, by and large, sucks and is devoid of musicality. It's more a social statement than music. The lyrics are often impressive in their rhyming, but lack meaning, depth, and, almost always, intelligence of any kind. People that do that kind of "music" are always really ****ing dumb. Dumb music fails to move me.

Also, the vocals ****ing suck. I'd rather play Cradle of Filth as loud as humanly possible than play rap in front of ANYONE. Some songs are tolerable, but certainly not the stuff I'd listen to. I particularly hate older rap, which some have defended, as it was more political, and, no offense, but black Americans+politics=messy. To be more specific, poor black Americans+politics=messy. If they live in the suburbs and aren't all ghetto, I suppose it's fine. But, living in a city (Detroit) where a thief like Kwame Kilpatrick is re-elected, and seeing Ray Nagin re-elected after killing 1000 people, well, yeah...

Also, much rap has political messages that are traitorous, or absurd. That poor blacks think they're being persecuted or held down by the white majority infuriates me, as they have more job options than anyone, and they are hired all the time over more qualified individuals simply because they are black, and they are required by law to hire a certain amount of blacks.
Quote by happytimeharry
Old rap = good
new age wannabe gangsta "look at ma grillz" shit = bad

agreed.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Yeah K-Os is ****ing amazing, and he's Canadian.
I also just love Outkast, Aquemini bitches!
oddling8 just came and freakin destroyed me....i love you oddling
Quote by oddling8
All rap, by and large, sucks and is devoid of musicality. It's more a social statement than music. The lyrics are often impressive in their rhyming, but lack meaning, depth, and, almost always, intelligence of any kind. People that do that kind of "music" are always really ****ing dumb. Dumb music fails to move me.

Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by gibson_10
I dont care what anyone says rappers have no musical talent at all.

2nd.

Rap is ****.
Member#8 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chilli Peppers UG fanclub. PM IpodInaBottle to join
yay rap is awful, and I don't listen to music for lyrics anyway, so it's doubly awful (is doubly a word??)
benjamin andre is awesome
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
what most of you say about rap could be said for the metal and rock genres.
Quote by sfsknight07
"gangster rap" and other rap like that sucks....rap like Outkast and DMC arent (C)rap. but i would have to say 98% of rap is ****

Have you listened to 100% of the rap out? I am guessing no. So how can you say 98% is crap? Name 20 rappers. I bet you can't without looking them up. Kinda throws a monkey wrench in your theory huh?

What is funnier is the ignorant people with RHCP avatars bashing rap. Uh, have you heard the chillis? Do you know their influences? Did you know George Clinton produced A LOT of their stuff? For God sakes do some research.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Last edited by Liam Alan at Sep 19, 2006,
SAUL WILLIAMS is awesome so is Murs and K-os
Quote by Mad Marius
Bush is a good president.

And yes, you HAVE to be drunk to say that with a straight face. And I sure am.

Quote by Garci
Damn, 1.2 billion dollers? Wonder how much that's in dollars
There is alot of rap that I listen to. There is alot more substance there than many people on this site would think.
Quote by unplugtheradio
**** off

I love YOU Unplugtheradio you are the coolest person on UG
Quote by Mad Marius
Bush is a good president.

And yes, you HAVE to be drunk to say that with a straight face. And I sure am.

Quote by Garci
Damn, 1.2 billion dollers? Wonder how much that's in dollars
Quote by jshrn31
even when rap has good lyrics its not music. It may be good poetry but its not music. NO MUSICAL TALENT INVOLVED

I suppose it's kind of like how your post isn't really an argument because there's no argumentative talent involved...

Listen, genius. Even by the definition of the average dictionary, it qualifies as music. A few examples:
Quote by Unabridged Dictionary
?noun
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.
5. such scores collectively.
6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.
7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.

8. Fox Hunting. the cry of the hounds.

Quote by American Heritage Dictionary
n.
1. The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
2. Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
- 1. A musical composition.
- 2. The written or printed score for such a composition.
- 3. Such scores considered as a group: We keep our music in a stack near the piano.
4. A musical accompaniment.
5. A particular category or kind of music.
6. An aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds: the music of the wind in the pines.

Quote by WordNet
n
1: an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner
2: any agreeable (pleasing and harmonious) sounds; "he fell asleep to the music of the wind chimes" [syn: euphony]
3: musical activity (singing or whistling etc.); "his music was his central interest"
4: (music) the sounds produced by singers or musical instruments (or reproductions of such sounds)

5: punishment for one's actions; "you have to face the music"; "take your medicine" [syn: medicine]

As you can see, it qualifies in all of the bolded definitions. By the WordNet (Princeton University) definitions, it even qualifies in all cases except for the proverb.

Some definitions might require melody and harmony, elements that aren't always present in rap. But music can't be ultimately defined in the first place, because each and every new type of music originated by breaking the rules of what defines music. You can define music, but the definition will always have to be updated sooner or later.
People like you used to say blues "isn't music". Rock & roll isn't music. Jazz isn't music. Noise like Sabbath will be the end of music! Punk rock is the downfall of youth! Metal will ruin music alltogether!
Guess what? Those people were wrong. And so are you.

And just because music is generated by an electronic device doesn't mean that it doesn't require musical talent. It may not require virtuosity, depending on how it's played. But at the very least, it requires a musical ear.

Now i normally don't call people idiots so many times in one post, but i'm just sick of little assholes who think their misinformed opinion defines the truth. Fact is that some people enjoy listening to rap, and you don't have to listen to it if you don't like it. So why do you feel the need to piss on our parade by claiming that rap isn't music and doesn't require talent?
^ woah dictiownd. Some rap is good, some is crap but that's like every other genre in music.
Haha, you dee LKW's post and then you see the above.
The more you lick them
The more you like them

Not for the first time in my life, I curse my bad luck.