ok. i have a 38w fender piece of crap amp and am getting ready to start gigging with my band. i play heavy metal and need help here. ive been looking at the spider 2 212 amp. 150w with 2 12" celestion speakers for 400. sounds damn good to me. but...my dad says to get a 100w Peavey Valve King and he will help me pay for it. ive heard that tube amps sound louder then solid states, but i dont know. can you guys PLEASE help me here. this is a critical choice i have to make. should i get a solid state or a tube, and whats the differences?
tube, your dads right, get the tube amp. tube amps are louder, have better tone and give you an overall better sound than solid states. especially spiders they suck
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
so...the valve king is the better choice? and do i have to replace tubes and **** and worry about heat issues and whatnot?
Yeah dude...um...Im not going to flame you or anything (everyone else will though lol) but the Spiders...they suck bad. The ValveKing might not be for you either though. What kind of budget are you and your dad thinking of?

Quote by sfsknight07
so...the valve king is the better choice? and do i have to replace tubes and **** and worry about heat issues and whatnot?

No. Tube amps require little to no worries man! Just take care of it and theyll last forever. You only have to replace tubes maybe once a year...and thats a 5 minutes proccess.
i have a 400-500dollar for myself. but my dad said he would help me pay close to 700 or 800 if i payed him back when i get the money.
Im fairly sure you could get a used Peavey 5150 combo for around the price of a new 100 Watt Valve King. Now, Im not too sure about the price (may go over it a bit), but from what I understand theyre much better for metal and overall much better amps than both
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
HAHAHAHAHAHAH! Spider vs. tube, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

oh wait. that was serious?
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
If its a choice between the valveking and the spider get the valve king but isnt the valveking a hybrid(correct me if im wrong)
Quote by gwitersnamps
HAHAHAHAHAHAH! Spider vs. tube, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

oh wait. that was serious?

Shut up asshole.

For 700-800 bucks you can get THE ultimate METAL MACHINE (in that range..) lol the 5150. Youll have to go used though...if thats not a problem
Quote by metalmiliita56
If its a choice between the valveking and the spider get the valve king but isnt the valveking a hybrid(correct me if im wrong)

Nah vavleking is all tube. Its geared more for classic rock. Its not really a hi-gain amp.
no, hybrids are essentially solidstate amps (think vox ad series amps). Valvekings are all tube. but not my cup of tea imo.
Yeah dude IMO the 5150 is the ultimate metal machine on a budget (not even a budget...but that thing kicks major ass). I strongly recomend it. Ive owned a 6505 (the same exact thing, different name) and it was AWESOME.
^ if it was a professional show keep in mind hes prob using nice pickups with PA full of compressors and equalisers etc to make it sound so damn nice~
i'd say go try out the valve king
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
Here's an original thought: Buy whichever one you like better
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Yeah dude...um...Im not going to flame you or anything (everyone else will though lol) but the Spiders...they suck bad. The ValveKing might not be for you either though. What kind of budget are you and your dad thinking of?

No. Tube amps require little to no worries man! Just take care of it and theyll last forever. You only have to replace tubes maybe once a year...and thats a 5 minutes proccess.

Tube amps require a ton more care than Solid State.
That said: If you get the Spider, I'll kill you.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Tube amps require a ton more care than Solid State.

Yeah but its basic stuff. ex) be gentle while moving it. keep it dry. dont keep it on for long periods of time. change tubes when they need to be changed. let the tubes warm up for 30secs-2mins before turning StandBy off..etc.

If youre so lazy that you cant do these things...then you dont deserve a tube amplifier. IMO.
^ wow I really like the sound of that VK in those vids. Now I wanna go play one again and crank it up!