Hey everyone, most likely I will buy a 5150 head in the near future. I will buy a cabinet, but I play at church every week and I was wondering if there was a safe way to run the amplifier head through the PA system without micing a cabinet. I am not sure if the 5150 has a line out, is there any other way to do so? Please tell me all you can, I want to know if it is safe before I try it.

Edit: We play very contemporary stuff; high gain would fit into the mix quite fine. In my spare time I'm in a metal band but I dont' really want to haul a cabinet back and forth every week when there is a readily available PA system. Could you explan how to run a dummy load? I'm not familiar with that term. Could I run a speaker cable direct from the amp into a direct box or could that damage something?
Last edited by Cgc1215 at Sep 18, 2006,
yeah you can run it into a dummyload and run that into a DI box and run that to the PA. But if youre playing at church you shouldnt need to run a halfstck into the PA unless your church is like huge.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
A half-stack will be plenty of volume for a church situation. Plus a 5150 really isn't the best church amp anyway... unless you play at a really "contemporary" church. I think your best bet would to just plug straight into the board or through a cheap processor and then into the board.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
he should at least use some sort of amp, going direct to board usually sounds really bad.

Last.fm
My Weber attenuator has a good line out:
http://tedweber.com/atten.html
It's quite easy to mod your amp to have one if you want one too btw.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
yeah i forgot that some attenuators have them built in, you should probably go with that (youre going to need an atenuator anyway in order to run your amp without the cab attached.)

Last.fm