So i started playing guitar, about, 4 months ago.
i seemed to pick it up really fast, i can play several, quite easy songs now. but. i just dont feel like im actually getting anywhere that i want to be...
"practicing" for me, is more or less sitting in here playing the same crap over and over, wondering when im get gonna start playing some new stuff.
I would like to learn how to write/ play (this is going to sound really corny, but i have no other way of describing them ) those really awesome slow guitar solos, like from 80s power ballads and the like.
Soloing in general, improvised and not, is another skill.
learning more in general, especially music theory.
i dunno, i just, yeah.
blah
well, go find a teacher to teach you about music theory, and if your good enough just start listening to some of the stuff you wanna learn and try to figure some of it out. and yeah just get a teacher to get you goin on stuff
Most any guitarist on here that stuck it out... has been EXACTLY what you're going through right now. I know I did, I hit that wall HARD! The key is DO NOT GIVE UP! Trust me, it's worth sticking it out, if u truely love the guitar.

Try this, this is what got me going... to sorta go off on what SchecterC-1+Man said:

Go find a simple song to learn, such as Iommi's version of Paranoid (Black Sabbath) and work on learning it. As you are learning it, especially the solo, look at what scales and such that he is using... learn those scales seperately up and down the entire length of the fretboard, and learn them to where you can play them just as good as you are playing the song, if not better. Once you do that, and do it with songs you enjoy... the wall should break for you. And hey, if your really not into sabbath, then find whatever is a simple, but complex enough, song for ya and learn it, and study the parts that make it up. I'm currently working on just this!
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
what do you know of the following:

open position chords
power chords
barre chords
1st form (main form) of pentatonic scale
blues scale
All forms (or boxes) of pentatonic scale
How to use chord forms in different boxes of the scale

you can see where im going with this. If you don't know something from that list, learn it. If you already know all that, then jump on over to the tabs section and just start learning the songs you want.
power chords,barre chords, and open chords ( regular chords right?).. and i sorta know what a pentatonic is , but not really
sidenote:
I played trumpet in school band for 3 years, so i have basic music knowledge.
there are lesson on UG, and download powertab and start downloading tabs for it, and its great to create your own music too
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
I had this exact same problem. Infact I stopped playing for many years because of it. It wasn't until June this year I started again. This time I got myself a practice routine sorted. Actually its 2, a short half hour rountine and a longer hour and a half one. The routine focuses on different aspects. It looks something like:

0-10 Warm up. Includes finger exercies to get the blood flowing nicely, 1-2-3-4 alternate picking exercises and run through of any known songs.

10-20 Scales. Practicing various scales and modes (Major, minor, pentatonics, blues etc) up and down the neck. I got a cool scales book called The Ultimate Rock Guitar Scale Finder and it was only about £3.

20-30 Chords. A quick run through of ones you know but don't spend too long on those, focus on new chords and ones that are giving you trouble. Also use this time to learn to common chord progressions used in songs.

30-50 Lead Guitar. Focus on lead guitar techniques. I actually use Troy Stetina books for this as they suit the style of guitar I wish to learn.

50-70 Rhythm Guitar. Focus on rhythm guitar techniques. I again use Troy Stetina books for this.

70-90 New Songs. Use this time to work on learning new songs. Focus on one song at a time until you nail that song (then practice it in the next few warm up sections).

Always use a metronome when playing through stuff or a band backing track to help with timing.

Remember practice does not mean perfect, practice means permenant, good practice means perfect!

EDIT: Forgot to add, since I started a routine similar to the one above I have notice my ability has improved greatly in a short space of time and I am enjoying playing again. Also the routine is not set in stone, but flexible to suit my needs at that time. If I am feeling tired and not in the mood I shorten the routine. If I feel my lead needs more work I focus more time on that.
-Mithaearon-
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Last edited by Mithaearon at Sep 19, 2006,
Quote by vivalasoad883
So i started playing guitar, about, 4 months ago.
i seemed to pick it up really fast, i can play several, quite easy songs now. but. i just dont feel like im actually getting anywhere that i want to be...
"practicing" for me, is more or less sitting in here playing the same crap over and over, wondering when im get gonna start playing some new stuff.
I would like to learn how to write/ play (this is going to sound really corny, but i have no other way of describing them ) those really awesome slow guitar solos, like from 80s power ballads and the like.
Soloing in general, improvised and not, is another skill.
learning more in general, especially music theory.
i dunno, i just, yeah.
blah

dont quit! it's only been 4 months. it takes time to develop your skill, i know it's not what you want to hear but it's true.
4 months? dude you gotta keep pushin through man.. while your doing all the things said above, try cleanin up your playing... make it sound neat so to speak, practise mutings n stuff... work on your scales... at least the minor pentatonic to start with, there are so many lessons here on UG.. spend some time checkin it out.. read up a lil..u'll get the motivation...trust me..ive been there
I can't imagine the day when I run out of songs I want to learn to play. There is just so much great stuff out there. And it's not just about hitting the notes, but also getting to sound as close as possible as the original. And then you can start adding in your own little twists here and there.

I got my first electric guitar back in June so I am just about as new a beginner as you. I have yet to learn an entire song. I've just learned some introls, solos, and notable riffs. This has kept me very entertained and I just love messing with it all. Looking at the tabs to some simple songs, such as I Love Rock And Roll, or Smoke on the River, I am not sure I want to learn the entire song when really the most entertaining parts of it is just the heavy sounding intro and the solo.
Ibanez RG2570E, Epiphone VJH-PP, Celestion V30 Lopo Line 1x12, EHX Metal Muff, Yamaha Magicstomp MKII, Tascam CD-GT1 MKII
As already said bro don't worry about it, everyone hits the brick wall in their playing where it seems like nothing is progressing and your just stuck, you just have to keep working on it and all of a sudden your through it and your thinking "wow I can't believe I was so stressed over that". Don't wait for new things to come up, make them. Since your can't seek instructional help, search the net for new lessons to try in all areas, from techniques to theory. Browse various styles(rock,metal,blues,ect.) and pick out parts of each that seem be interesting to you. At 4 months your a sponge right now and should be soaking up as much as you can find. Everyone who gets in that rut gets there the same way, we get stuck playing the same things over and over again.

The key to breaking out is looking for something new to do, even if you can't handle it or it's above your level, the fact you tried it means you tried something new and thus have moved forward a little bit. Start browsing the many lessons here on UG, I found them to be a great way to help overcome the wall I hit.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Luckily you have an internet connection with leaves you open to a wide range of guitar lessons and tips. Practicing the same crap over and over again and it can soon becoming very boring, try practing different new things, take it slow. www.youtube.com, has lots of video guitar lessons that people have uploaded on there, alot of them are really advanced, but if anything it could give you a better insight on some techniques..
Quote by leelee
I can't imagine the day when I run out of songs I want to learn to play. There is just so much great stuff out there. And it's not just about hitting the notes, but also getting to sound as close as possible as the original. And then you can start adding in your own little twists here and there.

I got my first electric guitar back in June so I am just about as new a beginner as you. I have yet to learn an entire song. I've just learned some introls, solos, and notable riffs. This has kept me very entertained and I just love messing with it all. Looking at the tabs to some simple songs, such as I Love Rock And Roll, or Smoke on the River, I am not sure I want to learn the entire song when really the most entertaining parts of it is just the heavy sounding intro and the solo.

wanna check that song title, buddy?

Yeah, like everyone said, just keep playing no matter what.

One way is to find some kid you don't know or may not like that plays guitar. For some reason, watching them play makes me want to be better than them (I can't help it) so I go practice more! (Try your local music store and see if someone is playing) Sure, it isn't the best way morally, but it works.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
start listening to joe satriani. he has some easy stuff, and does a whole bunch of those slow, but powerful, guitar solos.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
wanna check that song title, buddy?

Yeah, like everyone said, just keep playing no matter what.

One way is to find some kid you don't know or may not like that plays guitar. For some reason, watching them play makes me want to be better than them (I can't help it) so I go practice more! (Try your local music store and see if someone is playing) Sure, it isn't the best way morally, but it works.

Heh heh... Smoke on the Water, is what I meant, by Purple Rain.
Ibanez RG2570E, Epiphone VJH-PP, Celestion V30 Lopo Line 1x12, EHX Metal Muff, Yamaha Magicstomp MKII, Tascam CD-GT1 MKII
yeah, i hit that point after playing for two years. i still cant play any crazy solos or shred. i just play to make me feel good. well just keep playin bro. theres no need to rush really. practice when you can and enjoy what you do. plus if you ever saw that guy playin canon on youtube, he was self taught, so who knows how far you'll go.
Well i hit that point after about 4 months aswell. i found it was because the bands i was playing like green day were no longer interesting to play. i solved that problem by moving on to bands like red hot chili peppers.

I do think you should consider a teacher but if you dont want one just start playing a new style of music
work at theory and work at EASY solos as hard as you can, but maybe try some somewhat hard non solo songs cuz it takes a lot of practice to really make solos sound right... try learning the intro to Raining Blood by Slayer...and if that comes easy try to work at some lamb of god songs, those sound really cool if ur good enough to play them, which if u picked it up fast, you should b cuz i was able to play there stuff around 6 or 8 months after i started
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Learn scales! You say you know just a little bit of what Pentatonics are, that's your problem! I was at the same stage as you about after a year and 2 or 3 months of playing. I sort of felt dissapointed with my progress, but at the same time I didn't know how to get better. There are two things to do about it.

1) Learn your scales. Learn full scales, not just Pentatonics. Learn full Major scales, full minor scales, and modes. Learn the theory behind them. Start improvising over your own chord progressions with scales. When I learned my scales, I felt like I was opening this huge door that led to a vault of knowledge treasure. I'm just starting to understand modes now (thanks John and guitarviz) and it's fascinating.

2) Start to play harder songs. I usually try to learn a very hard song, and work on it for a while, learning the riffs I like from the song, sometimes the solo if it's a part I like. I rarely learn a whole song; I usually just learn my favorite parts.

At the same time, I work on a really easy, fun song. A power chord-based Offspring song or a Green Day song makes playing guitar enjoyable for me. Plus, I'm perfecting my skills by learning a harder song (usually something by Metallica or Megadeth).

Good luck. Believe me, I've been there. It sucks.
Is Guitarpro and Powertab free?Can someone tell me what is it's function?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
About learning the scales and modes, I too been only playing for 3 months.

My only knowledge is the 5 basic scale forms (Major, Minor, Blues, and the Minor and Major Pentatonic), the basic chords, 2 barre chords (which is still a bitch to make). I only know two one minute songs; which is Patterns in the Ivy by Opeth and a game theme which is Final Fantasy 8 Balamb. Currently working on Big Sur Moon by Buckethead aswell.

I also just recently learned how to map out the fret board and finding octaves. (like 5 frets up on the lower string you'll find the same note, except the 2nd string which is 4 notes higher.. blah blah blah you get the point)

The problem is there are all these lessons out there right infront of you but I get lost so quick. I can't find the right lesson that explains things from SCRATCH.

Not to mention I get into a bad habit of browsing the forums and end up reading worthless crap that does me no good.. lol (although I get lucky and see threads giving advice).
Last edited by Reez at Sep 24, 2006,