Im doing my senior project on Guitar Building, my thesis is " how pickups, strings, and tunning machines affect tone". My end product would be a guitar built by me. Anyone know any sites that can help me, and i any random info that is useful?
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Well... I guess your thesis works, except for that tuning machine part...

I think it would be alot easier to focus on wood, and electronics

it also makes a bit more sense to me of the actual project if you focused on the wood and electroncis instead of strings and tuners.

And for your project your going to probably get a stop to a local luthier for one of your mentors

You shodu lget more then enough information from him. providing that he is a competent luthier
Last edited by kaplac at Sep 19, 2006,
Yeah, the wood make a lot more sense. Also, how do you plan on measuring the tone?
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
yeah... toen is subjective

but it's too early for me to think.

projectguitar is a good one, warmoth has a wod sheet, that explains a lot of their sounds and color.

for pickups, search around on how pickups work. I'm not exactly sure how they owrk, but I know that the coils are the key thing that change teh sound of pickups, alogn with magnet type, and bobbin size.
My gotta take notes for my project, got any facts like. Basswood is the cheapest wodd for a body.
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
alder teh the most commonly used wood in commercial guitar building, wood density effect sustain, wood must be properly dried before used for guitars, the first modern electric solid body was invented in 1950s? (someone double check that) yeah... thats all I can think of for now
The concept of electric was well before 1950s. But I'm pretty sure they went into Commercial production either late 40s? '47+ or early 50s.
Well i was taking notes at first, so far i found a few sources. Like for pickups would Seymour Duncan.
FlickR
VTM 60 Tube Head
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah