I just found an old equalizer for a car stereo in one of the closets in my basement. I thought that was cool on it's own, but it brought up an intreguing question, could I hook it up to an amp somehow?I have all the schematics to put it in a car stereo and I'm pretty sure it doesn't need any external power source. I was just wondering if this was possible somehow, I'm willing to go on guesses from some of the more seasoned members of GB&C, as I can usually get things to work when it comes to electronics
I'm thinking an EQ will need some sort of power source.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
To boost any frequencies, you need some sort of power. I'm no electronics expert but, correct me if I'm wrong.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Well you can make it passive, but that'd be cutting frequencies.

Boosting frequencies means Active Eq, if you are doing it on board the amp, then you need quite some power, especially on marshall full stacks.

However, if you somehow manage to put it between guitar and amp, then 9v will do.

Check the electronics though
Quote by stringmagician
I just found an old equalizer for a car stereo in one of the closets in my basement. I thought that was cool on it's own, but it brought up an intreguing question, could I hook it up to an amp somehow?I have all the schematics to put it in a car stereo and I'm pretty sure it doesn't need any external power source. I was just wondering if this was possible somehow, I'm willing to go on guesses from some of the more seasoned members of GB&C, as I can usually get things to work when it comes to electronics

I take it that equalizer is post power amp? like does it fit between the car stereo and the car speakers? It becomes pretty tricky to fit that into a guitar-amp scenario as that amplifier would go between the amp and cabinet/speakers if this is the case and that would be exploring icky territory. Remember an e-guitars ouput is very very low, so if this equalizer is designed for higher outputs then you might have problems.
Marty