Alright, so , make a long story short, one of my tuning machines, which was fastened to my guitar with the use of two small screws, recently came off, and now the holes where the screws once fit into is too big because it was stripped.

I really don't wanna screw new holes in, so I was wondering if anyone knew something that I could use to fill in these holes with that will dry solidly and will allow me to screw the tuning machine back in, or maybe some alternatives to what I could do. Thanks.
Love, Music, Passion...
how about fill it with wood glue , then put a toothpick in and snap it off and let it dry. sounds like it might work . i have the same problem on one of my guitars but didnt get around to trying it yet . thats what im gonna try though .
It will work alright. It's exactly how it is done usually; top ranking wood wizzards use no other method. One additional tip: cut the toothpick (or match, splinter or whatever) sligtly shorter then the depth of the hole. This will make refitting the screw a little bit easyer.
I don't know how long/wide the screws usually are on the tuners, but you might want to drill holes for them. Smaller than the screws of course. If you just screw them in there, they may crack the headstock. Always drill holes if you're using screws.
I'm with the other guys. Woodglue and a toothpick works great, however, for most tuners you don't actually *need* those screws. I don't bother with the screws 90% of the time.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Chips-
I don't know how long/wide the screws usually are on the tuners, but you might want to drill holes for them. Smaller than the screws of course. If you just screw them in there, they may crack the headstock. Always drill holes if you're using screws.

Normally you'd be quite right. But these screws are tiny while the glue/toothpick mixture will be rather soft and will give way easily. And about leaving them out altogether; indeed those screws don't actually hold anything. Their only purpose is to prevent the tuning machines from twisting around their central axis and to keep the tuning knobs protruding from the headstock neatly aligned in an orderly row.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Sep 19, 2006,
Thanks a bunch guys! I'll be sure to try the toothpick or the woodfiller.
Love, Music, Passion...
Hey guys i have a cort mr-e acoustic and one of my tuning button cracked... I wanna ask if i could just replace the tuning button, and keep the tuning machine, or i have to replace the whole thing. Cause i kinda like my tuning machine right now and finding the same exact tuning machine is hard.
Last edited by rnestrella_ at Jun 8, 2016,
If they are screw on button then buy a replacement set of buttons. If you have the broken piece glue them back together.