Poll: Which beginners guitar for a RHCP fan?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which beginners guitar for a RHCP fan?
Squier Standard Fat Strat
8 28%
Squier Deluxe Stratocaster (Maple Quilt Top)
5 17%
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
12 41%
Other
4 14%
Voters: 29.
Hi everyone, as the thread title suggests, i need help in choosing my guitar which i will be starting soon. I have managed to narrow my options down to about 3 guitars, take a look at what ive chosen.

Squier Standard Fat Strat - mainly because of the versitility (HSS pup's) and the overall comfort of the body, bad thing is it's agathis (which seems to be a no no on this forum, but anyways) $400 AUS

Squier Deluxe Stratocaster (Maple Quilt Top)- haven't tested yet, but for the price range ($432 AUS) i think that this guitar is absolutely stunning looks-wise. It is also made of alder.

Yamaha Pacifica 112J - Tested, but personally i didn't find it as comfortable and as nice as the Fat strat.

I have thought about the pacifica but personally i don't like it all that much, i didn't really want to put it on the polls, but just for the sake of it i did...Also, i'd like to stick to the Squiers, so if anyone suggests any other options, i personally won't make it as important as the squier choices

I listen to a lot of red hot chili peppers stuff (mainly from californication onwards), some foo fighters, and i little bit of dragonforce every now and then but thats just about it.

EDIT: For the Amp i will i should be getting a Roland Microcube, if not a Marshall MG15CDR
I finally got my gear!

Squier Deluxe Series Satin Trans Double Fat Strat
Roland Cube 15
Last edited by [Guitar-Noob] at Sep 19, 2006,
To be fair I havn't tried out all that many beginners level guitars so I'm not really knowledgable enough to reccomend one. But what I would say is that remember that amp is also important. Although tone is not quite so important the first few months of bedroom practicing, it makes a far bigger difference to your sound than your guitar.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
First of all get the Roland Microcube!!! Second try out some squire telecasters. They're more of a frucrusinate sound... i think
Hmm, well i was recommended the Fat strat at the store i went to, i did test the guitar on the microcube as well, pretty loud little thing!
I finally got my gear!

Roland Cube 15
I know absolutely jack **** about guitars and I've only been trying to learn for 2 months.

But whenever I get my credit card (in about a month) I am planning on buying an Ibanez RG321 (Like 350 canadian bucks) and a Roland Cube 30 (like 250 Canadian bucks).

I've heard lots of good things about them on this forum...did some searching lol.
Yeh the RG321 is way out of my price range, well actually, about $100 AUS out of my range, but the downside is it has 2 humbuckers, which doesn't really let me test around different styles, and i am also a RHCP fan, from what i remember, they dont use guitars with double humbuckers either :P
I finally got my gear!

Roland Cube 15
I started out with the Ashton electric guitar starter pack for $300 aus. This australian company makes very good guitars especially their accoustic models. I found my electric quite good with low action and quality build. Pickups are average though but not ****house. I now have a 1996 White ( now it creamy ) Squire Stratocaster in mint condition. It sounds heaps better
greetings, my aussie friend.

for your price range, i suggest ebay, or a squier tele.

telecasters give that great tone and personally i just hate strats.
Quote by JoNnHannah
I'm homeschooled because I got tired of the corporate conformist administration.

So I have a pretty crime free school, unless i decide to kill someone.

The Search [GP5] C4C
Get a better amp than the Marshall. Orange do the Crush 30R which only costs £30 more than the Marshall MG15 - I don't know what that would be in Aussie dollars but for the difference in quality - and the extra wattage - it's more than worth it. As far as guitars go, I think it's worth looking at a Squier Telecaster Custom with P-90s. It is cheaper than the deluxe Strat I'm sure, and the P-90s will give you more bite for playing stuff like Foo Fighters. Or you could even try an Ibanez Jetking. The have coil taps, which means the pickups can be between humbuckers and single coils instantly, giving you one very versatile guitar.

Also, have you considered getting an acoustic? It is well worth getting one when you start out as it is a far better learning tool, and when you want to play acoustic songs there isn't any substitute for the real thing. If you are interested, try a Tanglewood TF-8. It was voted America's favourite acoustic guitar.
Well, i do in fact have a classical, but sadly, i have never had the time to learn until now, and in wanting to learn i want to start on electric, however, i do have my classical if i really need it
I finally got my gear!

Roland Cube 15
Cubes are good..even the Micro, I was trying a cube out yesterday in fact. Much better than the MG15 series.
Well, any more on which guitar i should get?
I finally got my gear!

Roland Cube 15
hav a look at sum of the epiphone les pauls, they aren't bad guitars at all
if ur a chilis fan (like me) you should probably get an affinity strat because its made of alder (good) unlike the standard strat which is made from agathis (crap). The great thing with strats is that you can modify them to suit you. Like, in a year or 2 you could buy a new guitar, or get some fender 57/62 vinatage pickups and you will sound similar to frusciante (his guitar is made from either ash or alder i dunno which)
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by jimi_vai
hav a look at sum of the epiphone les pauls, they aren't bad guitars at all

yeh man, the thing is, i forgot to mention, i found the epi's to be quite heavy, so i didn't really like them as much as the strats
I finally got my gear!

Roland Cube 15
Hmm, i don't think encore strats are avaliable in australia, thanks for the info anyways!
I finally got my gear!

Roland Cube 15
I'd go with the Yamaha Pacifica. I've played my friends, and it really isn't that bad for a begginner guitar.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Hmm, I've looked at the "deluxe satin trans fat strat" from squier, and my god i think ive fallin in love with it.

-Mahogany Body
-Seymour duncan pickups
-Alnico pickups

great reviews from musicians friend as well
I finally got my gear!

Roland Cube 15
buy the most expencive one you can afford, that you also like.. remember, you must love the feel, sound and looks of the guitar to be fully satisfied