Poll Options
View poll results: What is more important
Gear
4 5%
Player
83 95%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 2
My friend swears his new set up is better then mine. But I told him that the gear doesn't count for the most part and that it's really the guitar player. And I've practiced almost every single day since christmas and he just got his. But since he wants it that way then I'll let you near professionals do the talking.

I have a

Guitar: Squier Bullet Fender
Amp: Peavey Audition 20 (Dunno how many watts. One part says 12 the other says 40)
Pedal: Ibanez Tube Screamer
Acoustic: Yamaha F-310

He has

Guitar: LTD ESP (Which I seriously think is made out of cheap plastic)
Amp: Marshall something. (You guys may be thinking it's one of those huge ones but it's a small one that's like 15 watts)
Pedal: Doesn't have one
Acoustic: Washburn

Not to mention he's rich so he can get a lot of gear. That asshole. But still it's not really the gear, it's the player, don't you think? Just say your answer and as a poll I'll add of what you think is more important. Gear or Player.
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
a good guitar player with crap gear will still sound good, but if he/she had good gear they would be better, but if your a crap guitarist, you will always sound crap no matter how good your gear is.
p.s. What kind of loser actually brags about how much better his gear is than someone elses?
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
My friend.
Ballz On Parade
Quote by breadstick

p.s. What kind of loser actually brags about how much better his gear is than someone elses?

So true
Quote by DJaye

and it was about that time his sister comes bounding in, as she forgot to grab her handbag, only to see her brother running down the hallway with his dick hanging out and a hotdog sausage up his arse
give me a 1980s yamaha electric and a marshall 15mg and i'd own both of you's. Give satriani a stick and he'd own me. SO who cares about gear?
He doesnt sound like much of a friend....

Also, I think you's should both grow up. Seriously, who cares?
Celtic FootballClub1888
sounds like he's running an ESP LTD M-200 (best case) or LTD 50 series through a marshall mg. if you post the question "is an ESP LTD M-200 and a Marshall MG" a good combo, you will get murdered on these forums. His gear seems to me to be all about looks, whereas yours has some decent beginners equipment.
Marty
id say you both equally bad gear, but its really the player that matters most.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
If he thinks his gear is better he's an idiot

And regardless, it is all about the player. Anyone who believes their gear has great significance in their sound is kidding themselves.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
If he thinks his gear is better he's an idiot

And regardless, it is all about the player. Anyone who believes their gear has great significance in their sound is kidding themselves.

Actually, gear is hugely important to tone. Aslong as a player isn't totally ****, tone is more important than all the purists like to think.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
you both just started out, obviously. And you both have standard beginners gear. Beginners gear = not good. With those setups, arguing about who's rig is better is like arguing about who's $hit stinks less
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
I saw a pic of this kid who literally bought Steve Vai's entire live setup - Ibanez Jem - pedals - rack - Legacy Stacks... he even posted some clips of him playing... Living PROOF that some idiot can go wild and spend money (because they are rich) and still sound like crap!

I made a Squier Strat and a 30 Watt Crate combo work for about 7 years before I got a job and could get some good gear. Everytime I go to a music store to test out gear before I buy something, I'll sit with the stuff for a while, and I'll see countless amounts of kids walk in with their mom and/or dad and just pick up a BC Rich and bring it straight to the register. It's like most kids are afraid to suck in public trying equipment out and would rather get something by the looks and/or name?!

Back to the original question, easy answer - If you can play, you can play. If you suck, you suck. Buying good equipment won't play for you or make you any better or cover up how much you really suck.

"With those setups, arguing about who's rig is better is like arguing about who's $hit stinks less" That is great, lol! If you read anything, that's all you need to read in this entire thread.
Lol. You guys are stupid. Hilarious stupid I mean.
Ballz On Parade
I think I pick you in gear cause even if it's a reissieu, its still a tubescreamer,
and those kick ass.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Why the hell does it matter what we think? Don't be so insecure, just play.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Daggorath
Actually, gear is hugely important to tone. Aslong as a player isn't totally ****, tone is more important than all the purists like to think.

Wrong. You obviously havn't played live enough to be able to tell. If you're sitting there on your own, sure, tone plays an important part. However, once you get into a band setting, all that stuff vanishes. Tone is no longer important. What the audience hear is your ability to sound good with the music. If you play a bum note, it's gonna sound bad, whether on a $2000 rig or a $200 rig.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
true dat ^^^^

look at his sig. read the second quote. repeat. chant, if needed. this is the first step, the battle for perfection is long and costly. for steps 2-13524578 you'll need to give me $800,000,000
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by crash 2.0
Lol. You guys are stupid. Hilarious stupid I mean.

What?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
he's a fool with severe self esteem issues, just leave it.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
he's a fool with severe self esteem issues, just leave it.

Yeah, I mean look at his sig. Attention seeker alert.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
MY BALLS ALSO ITCH!!!

i think i win...
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
MY BALLS ALSO ITCH!!!

i think i win...

I can do better

MY BALLS ALSO ITCH!!!!!11111oneone
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
MY BALLS ITCH MORE!!!!1!!1!!!11!!one!!!!11!!!!!!!
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
MY BALLS ITCH MORE!!!!1!!1!!!11!!one!!!!11!!!!!!!

lies.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
damn You And Your Itchier Balls And Your Engl And Your Theories Of Advanced Quantum Physics That Make Mine Look **** Damn You To Hell Or An Area Of Equal Or Lesser Value!
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Player, obviously.
But tone comes from the gear.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
definetly player, but on the same note I don't want to be using my squier fat strat and fender frontman 15w in 25 years
I liked this part...

"Pedal: Doesn't have one"

Pffff! No pedals, he sucks and so does his gear!
Quote by Strat_Monkey
What?

Nevermind. It's a bridgeport slang for saying someones funny.

And about the balls and all, I didn't know what else to put on my sig. The lyrics to the smashing pumpkins song got old.
Ballz On Parade
player, and i don't know much on the gear... is the squier made from agathis or alder?
Quote by joel_grieve
Damn You To Hell Or An Area Of Equal Or Lesser Value!

What...like Australia?

pwnt.
exactly!
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
player, and i don't know much on the gear... is the squier made from agathis or alder?

I don't know either of those things are.
Ballz On Parade
then your gear is worse.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Lol. Well I know the body is made out of wood. And before I get slaugthered, my friend's isn't.
Ballz On Parade
i voted gear....i have yet to know why
i guess sound quality.
id rather hear a moderately skilled solo on a good rig then an insane shredding solo on a squire and a practise amp
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Page 1 of 2