Hey all UG'ers who happen to stumble onto this post...

Ive been playing guitar for a while now and starting to attempt playing songs.. one i had in mind is Baysides - Masterpiece. I have a teacher i see every other week who helps me out, but during the downtime i need to crack on my myself.. So my question is.. For this particular song, its constant strumming, im still trying to get comfortable hitting three strings only, did anyone else find this awkward or stiff when they started? Also what timing on a metronome is ideal to start with? Especially for a song you're going to be playing pretty fast someday?

Any ideas, comments, or even damn n00b posts would be appriciated..
Do you serve a purpose or purposely serve?

Ive got a book of matches.... ive got a can of kerosene.. ive got some bad ideas.. involving you and me...
Hitting the correct strings will come easily after a while. My advice is to start out really slow (even though you can play it slowly perfectly) and gradually increase the metronome speed til you reach the desired one. That way, you'll learn to play it cleanly, and get extra practice on the way. I've never heard the song, but I hope I helped in some way.
for me i learned a way to use my fret board-hand to mute the string im not playing, mostly with power chords, but i have learned to do this with basically all chords
so you press down on the strings u are playing, then just lightly lay the fingers across the strings you arent playing.. see if that works.. if you get what i mean
Totally what i was heading for. Maybe i just needed a little reassurance? I half expected someone to flame the hell out of me for being so vague.
im wondering if im holding my pic too tight? Or maybe my arm is too tense?
When i strum it sounds like im hitting every note, just not together, almost sounds like a scale?

Ive got a book of matches.... ive got a can of kerosene.. ive got some bad ideas.. involving you and me...
relax....I've been playing for over a year, and still have to remind myself not to tighten up so tight.
dwell not over dying, for it shall be the last thing you ever do.
*fur555dnm666*
ill give that a shot. It is a song comprising mainly of power chords.. Thanks a ton... I need to relax a little and not think so much.. but i kid you not i was terrified about my posture/playing after reading up on muscle memory and how it can really mess you up if you dont hold yourself correctly..