Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I got my account like ten minutes ago.
I've been playing aucustic and electric guitar for some years now and I'm starting to get tired of my old acoustic . I've always wanted a Fender but have no idea wich model to get since there is like 100 different kinds. I got about 320 dollars to spend on it.
To be onest, Fender acoustics are NOT the best!
I own a GDC100 electroacoustic, it's ok, but it could be better!
Try something like "Martin", "Takamine"
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
Quote by Travis Tricky
^Martin?

He has $300, not $3000

I have a Fender DG-8S and it sounds great IMO.

Where did you buy it? I have been looking at the DG-11 and CD-110E, anyone know if one of those would be a good choise?
To be honest, no.

Fender makes great electrics, and no one will deny that. They do not make good acoustics. Your best bet is to look at that thread I gave you earlier...those are all guitars that I would recommend to someone who has $300 to spend on a guitar. If you MUST have a fender, then look for one with a solid top. The solid top will sound better from the start, and it will only get better with age. Most of the fenders in that price range will have "select" or whatever Fenders euphenism is for a laminated top. (laminate=plywood)

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
hehe you may be someone i know
if i where you i'd bought some kinda telly, i've started to think they look cool
^--- a telly is an electric guitar.

i agree with what most people are saying about fender acoustics not being the greatest... but honestly if you've ALWAYS wanted one then get one. but do heed everyone's advice and don't expect the best guitar for the buck.
I've held the opinion that Fender acousitics weren't all that good in the past. The Fender company has always seemed focused on solid body electric guitars w/acoustics and hollow body electrics being somewhat of a sideline.
But I think quality has improved quite a bit over the last few years. Seems like it started getting better after Fender aquired Guild & Gretsch. Companies w/much experience in building hollow body/acoustic guitars.
I've picked on a couple Fender acoustics rcently that IMO were SWEET. But as w/everything, you get what you pay for. The entry level models are IMO pretty crappy. But the more you spend, the better they get.
Quote by jimtaka
^--- a telly is an electric guitar.

i agree with what most people are saying about fender acoustics not being the greatest... but honestly if you've ALWAYS wanted one then get one. but do heed everyone's advice and don't expect the best guitar for the buck.

That's pretty much what I was gonna say. I think an acoustic guitar with a Stratocaster head certainly looks cool, but I wouldn't buy one. But who am I to crush somebody's dreams?

When it's time for a new electric, though, I like those Tele's, too.
I know Fender made some acoustics w/Strat Style headstocks back in the 60's. I always thought they looked wierd. But I thought that besides the "Stratocoustic" they had moved on from that.
The Fender acoustics I recently played had regular 3 tuners on each side headstocks.
I bought a Stratocoustic a few years ago. Sounded BITCHING plugged in. Sounded like a cheap ass Stella unplugged. Overall appearance was IMO CHEAP CHEAP. Wasn't my cup-o-tea and I sold it.
^-- yeah i saw one of those in a local shop and i thought it was ridiculously awful (i didn't plug it in).
Call me a noob if you want but what is IMO? lol I see it atleast twn times in everypost. Someone please tell me.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
Ok lol thanks.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
Have to agree with the rest, Fender acoustics ain't crash hot, personally I think they're very dull sounding. Strats and Teles sound and most definately are kick arse, but the Fender acoustics are dissapointing for a company with such a respectable brand name. Personally I don't think they're doing themselves any favours making such lacklustre guitars.
^-- they aren't doing themselves favors, they are making money. kids start on electric guitar and get the brand name fender stamped in their minds. then one day the decide they want an acoustic, so they go with a fender.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
I know Fender made some acoustics w/Strat Style headstocks back in the 60's. I always thought they looked wierd. But I thought that besides the "Stratocoustic" they had moved on from that.

Saw a new one hanging on the wall at the local Guitar Center. I like the look, but I like "different."

Heck, Dean makes a Flying V acoustic! I can appreciate the effort, get a kick out of it, but I'd never in a million years buy one.

^ Thats gotta sound like horse****, and have no bass at all.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by jimtaka
^-- they aren't doing themselves favors, they are making money. kids start on electric guitar and get the brand name fender stamped in their minds. then one day the decide they want an acoustic, so they go with a fender.

In my case that's not true, I started out with an acoustic, played on that for a couple of years and then bought a Gibson SG.

Since it seems to be popular to tell me what not to get you could as well tell me what to actually get?
Quote by Slowplayer
Since it seems to be popular to tell me what not to get you could as well tell me what to actually get?

Did you see the second post? Look at the 'OFFICIAL "What guitar under $300" Thread'.
Quote by Slowplayer
Where did you buy it? I have been looking at the DG-11 and CD-110E, anyone know if one of those would be a good choise?

I bought it from the local music store (Musicstop)

It was offered as a Christmas special, lol, but it sounds like heaven, it was meant to be
Quote by Chips-
Did you see the second post? Look at the 'OFFICIAL "What guitar under $300" Thread'.

exactly.
As I've pointed out before, the Asian made guitars are ALL coming out of the same 2 or 3 factories. Just as in the 1970's the same Japanese factory made several different brands of guitars. Everybody seems to have the idea that Alvarez has a factory here, and Fender has one there. But in many cases these different brands are all made in the same factory, by the same people, using the same materials.
Your cheapie entry level guitars are for the most part going to sound very similiar. And as the quality of materials etc goes up, so does the price. But they're still made by the same people w/some different specs and visual changes.
So your $500. Korean guitar of any brand is probably pretty much equal to the $500. Korean guitar of the next brand in term of quality & sound. Then you get to choose which one you think is best.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.