At the moment I am looking at 3 amps:

Marshall DSL401 for £389 ($734 USD)
Peavey Valveking 112 £279 ($526 USD)
Madamp A15MK1 amp kit and Marshall 1912 www.madamp.biz for £350 ($660 USD)

I was wondering which is best for Metallica and Trivium type metal tones? At the moment I play at home but I may join a band soon. So which is best for at home and which is best if I do join a band? I can also get an overdrive pedal which will probably be a Boss SD1 if necessary.

Feel free to suggest alternatives as long as they are all tube and not modellers, and please don't suggest Peavey 5150 combo or head since the combo is £1099 ($2075) over here and they are never on ebay UK.

Thanks.
never played the amp kit, but I know the DSL can do trivium cause i think heafy uses or used one, the new album i got sounds a bit darker on some tracks which could obv be the 7 strings they occassionally use or using a darker amp, id go with the DSL..
i've heard DSL is cool, i think so too but i havn't tried it.
many reviews of the valveking says its suck and only has got "one" sound, kinda
whoop just came off a pro laney thread ... look into laney! cheap in the UK! btw they made the first metal amp, or at least the amp for the first metal band. their GH series is worth a look for some high gain applications.
Marty
Quote by d_byrne23
never played the amp kit, but I know the DSL can do trivium cause i think heafy uses or used one, the new album i got sounds a bit darker on some tracks which could obv be the 7 strings they occassionally use or using a darker amp, id go with the DSL..

Matt Heafy uses a DSL head though, and they use EL34 Tubes while the 401 uses EL84's (He also uses an overdrive pedal)

The DSL401 should still be a great amp though
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
So would the DSL need an overdrive for the kind of tones I'm after?

I looked at the Laney GH50L but it is out of my price range at £600 for the head. I don't really want to spend more than £400.
i would take the peavey its give's a great sound
GEAR:
AMP: Peavey Special 130 Solo series(130W)
Guitar: Jackson JS30
Pedals: Digitech Metal Master
Picks: Dunlop lucky 13 Picks 0.73
Strings: Ernieball Power Slinky (11-48)
i highly doubt hes still using the DSL, listen to the crusade album, **** is so dark on some tunes, unless they tuned their 7 strings down a bit, but It wouldnt surprise me if they dont use dsls anymore
I just got the new issue of Total Guitar magazine and there is an advert for Marshall amps in the front with Matt Heafy saying he loves his DSL100 rig and cabinets etc. Plus on the Trivium website it says DSL100 on their equipment lists, so it seems like they still use them.

Do you think the Marshall will do early Metallica tones because didn't James Hetfield use a modified Marshall to begin with?

And also, what difference would you notice between the EL34s in the DSL50/100 and the EL84s in the DSL401?
Axeman

See if you can find a Laney AOR secondhand on ebay, there good amps.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
The DSL would suit you nicely, try one out.

And people say the DSL heads sound better than the combos, but if you don't have enough, just get the combo.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I have seen a Laney GH50L for £400. Would it be worth saving for this and a Marshall 1912 cab instead of getting the DSL?;

Theres some vids on YouTube of the Laney and I love the sound of it.
Quote by Axeman99

I looked at the Laney GH50L but it is out of my price range at £600 for the head. I don't really want to spend more than £400.

the gh50L is about £350 for the head... it's about £600 for head + cab...

Out of your choices, and bearing in mind I haven't tried the kit amp, I'd say the marshall.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Axeman99
I just got the new issue of Total Guitar magazine and there is an advert for Marshall amps in the front with Matt Heafy saying he loves his DSL100 rig and cabinets etc. Plus on the Trivium website it says DSL100 on their equipment lists, so it seems like they still use them.

Do you think the Marshall will do early Metallica tones because didn't James Hetfield use a modified Marshall to begin with?

And also, what difference would you notice between the EL34s in the DSL50/100 and the EL84s in the DSL401?

I read his dsl was modded, and corey b's krank is not a normal krank, i seen them live over a year ago, and his tone was way different then krank users before him (aild and some other band)..so just play it first before u buy
Quote by Axeman99
At the moment I am looking at 3 amps:

Marshall DSL401 for £389 ($734 USD)
Peavey Valveking 112 £279 ($526 USD)
Madamp A15MK1 amp kit and Marshall 1912 www.madamp.biz for £350 ($660 USD)

I was wondering which is best for Metallica and Trivium type metal tones? At the moment I play at home but I may join a band soon. So which is best for at home and which is best if I do join a band? I can also get an overdrive pedal which will probably be a Boss SD1 if necessary.

Feel free to suggest alternatives as long as they are all tube and not modellers, and please don't suggest Peavey 5150 combo or head since the combo is £1099 ($2075) over here and they are never on ebay UK.

Thanks.

I would get the DSL401, though it is a bit dark/muddy.
DSL is a great choice.

to get trivium heafy sound. DSL with maxon OD pedal. and a gibson les paul supreme with emg's on 'em . haha.
Gear:::

Schecter C1 Classic - drop C - .11's
Ibanez rg321 (emg 81/85) - drop D - .10's
----------------------
Peavey 6505+
Peavey XXX 412 cab
Crate VTX212b Combo - practice amp.
----------------------
ibanez TS9

when i played a JCM DSL2000, it soudned waaaaay too dark and muddy for my tastes. btu thast just me. i much rather prefer a JCM900 or 800
Quote by Axeman99

you definately don't need an overdrive for the dsl 401. I loved this combo, but ended up not havin enough cash for it...anyways, I can pretty much recreate jaymz' kill em all sound (seek perfectly!) and could also nail some sweet reign in blood slayer tones. It also has some pretty good cleans, but you can't beat that marshall tube overdrive....
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music