Ok so ive been playing bass for about 5 months, could someone name me a few difficult songs that i could work on, something that when i play it to someone they will say wow. and also say whether its played with a pick or fingers

also im really into muse at the moment so what are their hardest songs on bass?
erm red hot chili peppers - tell me baby i think thts pretty hard but i dunno never tried to play it...erm i think its slap bass....
hard doesnt necessrily mean fast. Try playing Love Thang with feeling. Stockholm syndrome is quite fast, but it's boring IMO.. I say Love Thang all the way..
Dark Shines by Muse
Originally posted by charlie_geetar
my cousin (little girl) saw the herbal esscense commercial, and said "hey that stuff must really work, i heard my brother moaning in the shower"

http://www.clownpaint.com/
If you want Muse, New Born is a goood finger workout. Make sure you are warmed up first or you will cramp after the first 8 bars or so!!
Quote by Applehead
If you want Muse, New Born is a goood finger workout. Make sure you are warmed up first or you will cramp after the first 8 bars or so!!

Heh tell me about it.

If you have a 6 string bass (yes i realise this is very unlikely) and like Dream Theater, problem solved.
Originally posted by charlie_geetar
my cousin (little girl) saw the herbal esscense commercial, and said "hey that stuff must really work, i heard my brother moaning in the shower"

http://www.clownpaint.com/
Quote by Applehead
hard doesnt necessrily mean fast. Try playing Love Thang with feeling. Stockholm syndrome is quite fast, but it's boring IMO.. I say Love Thang all the way..

I personally find it hard to play stockholm because of the reptition in the finger picking.. I'm much more used to skipping strings and all that jazz, and irregular note durations, if you get what I mean
Nobody weird like me - RHCP

Annoyingly fast slap.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Master of puppets - Metallica
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****bass
you know he died right???

wtf?!?!?
when?

^_^
the thing i find with Stockholm is you have to get attack consistent, and you shouldnt attack the strings too hard otherwise your hands just give up. notice how even chris only plays it later on in their sets as he knows you know need to be warmed right up for it !!
well i know tell me baby and new born, yeah i no what you mean about warming up before, your hands do get tired and sore
If you are into the prog rock vein then YYZ by Rush would be a good choice
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Geez...

As far as the most challenging stuff I have heard recently on bass is Laco Tayfa--a Turkish rock band. Their bassist is a MONSTER and can blow away any of the aforementioned bassists. He does it all. Even the other band members thinks that he overplays sometimes...

...and I have no idea what his name is right now...

Brian Bromberg is also a bass monster--he plays both standard and upright bass. And of course--if you can figure out his tunings and what he is doing with the Boomerang phrase looping, Michael Manring is quite clever.

If you are more into alt rock, I recommend the first Violent Femmes album. It has more bass solos than any Rush album.

If you like old school R & B, look no further than Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" album. James Jamerson and Bob Babbitt share the bass chair on this album, and both are awesome.

Oh, by the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KC7uhMY9s

I found this the other day--James Jamerson captured live in concert with Marvin Gaye. I have never seen any live footage of Jamerson until now. Dig that improvised bassline for "What's Going On"--done with ONE FINGER--THE HOOK.

Hope you enjoy it.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Ytse Jam - Dream Theater (finger picking, 4 string bass)

That song will teach you to use your pinky if you dont use it already.

I'm currently working on "Honor thy Father" by the same band...Awesome song.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
think ill work on master of puppets because my friend knows it, is it played with fingers or pick?