I have been playing bass for about 4 months, and I've more than outgrown my crappy no-name squire clone. I play a a lot of older rock with good bass lines (old ozzy and maiden) and new stuff like the red hot chili peppers. I'm looking for a good 4-string bass guitar in the 500-1000 dollar range, but it needs to have clean tone, and a good eq, as I play a few diffrent types of music and it needs to be capable of a range of sounds. I've been looking into getting an Ibanez SR, but I just want to see what's available as I'm not to experienced when it comes to the different brands and stuff. Any ideas?
Dude, I'm the best bassist in my school, and I'm better then the kid in our jazz band. I haven't taken lessons before, but my dad taught me all of the theory I need. I also practice for at least 4 hours a day. Just becasue you sucked at the 4 month mark doesn't mean I do to. I wouldn't be asking this question if I sucked at the bass, would I?
Cool your arrogance. it's incredibly unlikely that your any good at all at 4 months. I'd say wait. And get a new amp first if you want a MUCH better sound.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Hey when I was playing for two months I was already better than people who had been playing for 3 years plus I had never picked up a stringed instrument in my life... I am just saying its possible to be THAT good in a short amount of time whether it be talent or whatever you want to call it...
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Except for the fact that my current bass is so screwed up, it can barely run through an amp (feedback is horrible), the neck is clunky and slow, and it's a really bad rip-off. I've played different Ibanez's and a few Fenders before, and the neck action is WAY better. I'm planning on buying a new amp before I get my bass anyways, I already have a nice Peavey one picked out and everything. I played guitar for a year and a half before I started playing bass, so I'm not just some idiot noob who's going to waste his money on something I won't even fully enjoy or make use of. I'm pretty serious about bass guitar. And I'm planning on getting a new bass in 2-3 months, not right this instant; I'm just trying to scope out whats available for the money first. And I practice 4-6 hours a day everyday, and I have band practice 2 times a week. I have met people before who aren't even any good (my bands ex-rythym guitarist, who had only played guitar for 6 months) who waste money on a nice guitar or bass they won't even fully appreciate or enjoy (Epiphone Zakk Wylde custom, which he paid 1300 CAD for), but I'm not one of them. If I sucked, I wouldn't be looking into a nice bass and amp. Money doesn't grow on trees, and I've been working my butt off to save up enough money to buy something half-decent.
Quote by RIC4003
Hey when I was playing for two months I was already better than people who had been playing for 3 years plus I had never picked up a stringed instrument in my life... I am just saying its possible to be THAT good in a short amount of time whether it be talent or whatever you want to call it...

Thanks for the support. I understand where Forcemaster is coming from, though, as it usually takes people a long time to get good. I'm not saying I'm amazing at bass, I'm just saying I'm pretty good, especially for having only 4 months experience at the bass.
Firstly: You're not as good as you think you are. Guaranteed. Everyone at some point thinks they're really good within a couple of months, and you'll soon realise you aren't (most likely by making an ass out of yourself in front of someone genuinely really damn good)

Anwyway, if you're spending that much on a bass you should have a really good idea of what you want. Get into guitar shops and try stuff and find out what you like the sound of and what you like the feel of. There's loads of basses in that price range, but if you find you want a short scale, a bridge humbucker and an active EQ then it sure narrows it down.
I'm not saying I'm AMAZING (My dad has already embarassed the hell out of me on many occasions), but I do know what you're saying. Where I live, the only basses and guitars you can get are Gibsons and Fenders, so I havn't really had the opportunity to test out a lot of different brands and models. My dad has an older Ibanez SR, and I love the active eq and the neck scale, but I want to see if there are any basses I havn't looked at yet that are worth some attention.