I have been using D'Addario strings .11 - .49 for awhile now and I am looking to try something new. I play mostly hard rock -- Avenged Sevenfold and the like...But also some stuff a bit more mellow like Alakaline Trio. Can anyone recommend any other strings to try? I have heard good things about Ernie Ball.....
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
I've been a very frequent Dadd user but recently, couple months back i decided to try some EBs and to me, they're better, better harmonics and my finger doesnt get stuck when i slide. Expect to burn a lot of cash if you want to try other strings' brand/gauge and which suits you best.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Ernies are brilliant, but wear out damn fast.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Dean Markley's are good. They last longer than EB.

But, they don't have that gauge. They make 11-52, i think.

Ernie Ball makes 11-48
Quote by Chaos Guitar
im great at sweeping but horrible at pinch harmonics

Elixir Nanoweb: by far the best string i've ever played.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
I usually play Ernie Ball but recently tried GHS Boomers...

I'd recommend either but it seemed like the boomers stretched easier and stay in tune better (I'm using a floating bridge and they handle the whammy rape pretty well). However, they do sound more "metally" not as in the genre but as in clanky and bright.
I have been going back and forth between the Slinkys and GHS Boomers, and keep coming back to the boomers. The balls are nice but just do not have a great spark to them like the boomers, and when they go bad, they go really bad.

Buy a set or two of a bunch of brands never know what you may find that you like, and if you really hate them what are you like $5 just cut em off and move on to the next set. I
look at ghs boomers gauged .011-.050. thats what i use. you get a real ballsy sound out of them, and they are very good at staying in tune.
Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms.
theyre the best strings ive ever used!
as soon as you get them, your tone gets beefed up!
solos are easy on the high strings too
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by madpickin03
Expect to burn a lot of cash if you want to try other strings' brand/gauge and which suits you best.

Yeah, I have $50 free stuff from Musicians Friend so I figure I would spend it on a few different types of strings. Thanks for all the feedback.....
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Does anyone know of a guide which goes through the pros of cons of different types and guages?

I was going to get some today but I didn't have a clue what to get.
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
depends on what you want. thicker guages mean more tension, usually used for drop tunings, and different brands use different metals for different levels of brightness
Quote by 5kuzgib
Does anyone know of a guide which goes through the pros of cons of different types and guages?

There isn't really pros and cons. They are just for different tunings. 9 gauge is good for standard and Drop D (pushing it though). 10 can be good for a tighter standard and usually what most drop d players use. 10 gauge also good for D standard. 11 gauge is good for -1 step and more.
elixers, there great, they have very nice punchy tone, and the last a hell of a long time
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
i use ernie balls skinny top heavy bottom (.10-.52) and thats what avenged sevenfold uses

Quote by Gabel
Simple. It's the amp. Getting EVH tone out of a Twin Reverb is as likely as Nazis supporting jews.
Quote by 5kuzgib

I was going to get some today but I didn't have a clue what to get.

A lot of people (like me, see sig but also a lot of pros, most famously SRV, but also Jimi Hendrix, Dick Dale and others) prefer the tone of heavy guage strings. However, they can be totally evil bastards to play in standard tuning, which isn't a problem with lighter guage strings.

As someone else said, heavy strings are preferable for drop tunings.

Remember, if you're gonna be changing to heavier strings then you'll need to do a bit of setting up, otherwise you'll f*ck up your guitar, and no-one wants that.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
What is the difference between Ernie Ball "nickel" or "pure nickel"?
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Different in tone, pure nickel is supposed to be warmer, but it aint much.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Thanks for the help fellas, sorry to go OT
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by Invictious
D'addarios.

Check this vid out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXodez0Axcg

Hazhaa

Now worship me for showing you all this vid

hell yes, i love that video. have you seen the "video game noise" one?

here it is