5150 hands down. One thing is that the 5150 is tube... The XXL isn't...

Unless you mean the XXX then its a different story...
If you actually need your clean channel? = XXL

If you need more gain than any human being could ever use? = 5150/6505
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
defentally the 5150, its an all tube gain monster where as the XXL is a hybrid wanna be tube amp, its nice, but its no 5150. another amp to consider is the XXX, nice recto-style gain channel and really good clean
my friend has a xxl and he plays in a metal band. i sounds good for what he plays. and on the songs that have cleans it sounds really good. but he got it because it sounded good for its price and he couldnt afford a tube amp. oh and he bought the stack by the way. but i think if he would have had enough for a 5150 stack he would have chose it over the xxl
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
If cleans are a big issue then just whack a Chorus pedal into the 5150's effects loop.

5150 FTW
Quote by codybcool
If cleans are a big issue then just whack a Chorus pedal into the 5150's effects loop.

Horrible solution. You can't cover up a bad tone with effects. Seriously, even the modded 5150 cleans are shoddy.

If the cleans are an issue... I would recommend the XXL over the 5150, though the XXX 212 seems like a logical recommendation here.

Quote by Magero
^ Yeah I never got that solution, personally I hate chorus, so that could be a factor

This whole thread pisses me off. For one: the XXL is a HORIBLE. AMP. No discussion. It's clean channel SUCKS, no better than the 5150 (which, the 5150's cleans arent all that bad. Jump off the bandwagon people and please hit every rock and cactus on the way down). The XXL is the noisiest mofo Ive ever heard. Seriously...it hisses on the clean channel! OMFG I HATE IT.

Having said that... 5150.
Quote by kurdtkobaign

This whole thread pisses me off. For one: the XXL is a HORIBLE. AMP. No discussion. It's clean channel SUCKS, no better than the 5150 (which, the 5150's cleans arent all that bad. Jump off the bandwagon people and please hit every rock and cactus on the way down). The XXL is the noisiest mofo Ive ever heard. Seriously...it hisses on the clean channel! OMFG I HATE IT.

Having said that... 5150.

The cleans on the XXL aren't like JC-120 cleans, but I'd take it over the 5150. I have logged a pretty good amount of time with both amps. I've never had a hissing problem on the clean side of the XXL, it has the natural SS hum on the distortion, but that's all I've seen. It's a very average amplifier, horrible is a gross overstatement.

Quote by Magero
Quote by Spynal
The cleans on the XXL aren't like JC-120 cleans, but I'd take it over the 5150. I have logged a pretty good amount of time with both amps. I've never had a hissing problem on the clean side of the XXL, it has the natural SS hum on the distortion, but that's all I've seen. It's a very average amplifier, horrible is a gross overstatement.

Well its the amp that all these n00bs come in and play on at my work...its the same damn Metallica song over and over again...the same damn SOAD song..etc. I actually played on the XXL stack today for about half an hour. I really tried to get a good, warm setting out of it, but no matter what it was thin, scratchy, ball-less..etc. Theres something about it I guess...
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Well its the amp that all these n00bs come in and play on at my work...its the same damn Metallica song over and over again...the same damn SOAD song..etc. I actually played on the XXL stack today for about half an hour. I really tried to get a good, warm setting out of it, but no matter what it was thin, scratchy, ball-less..etc. Theres something about it I guess...

I mean, when you have to listen to the same bullshit everyday, every amp is bad. I mean, I've heard a Soldano Avenger sound horrible. I used to be rather 'meh' on the XXL, as it had the same problem you're describing. However, one of my guitarist friends (who owns one) recently showed up with his XXL into some rewired Legionsound cabs (fitted with 2 Madison Syphonies and 2 Peavey Blue Marvels) and had a relatively nice tone going. I was thoroughly impressed.

Quote by Magero
Well the two Peavey cabs its hooked up to suck so good cabs probably make a difference. I guess the thing that really gets me is that it has no THUMP. It has bass...but its not low end.
I heard it ripping through Cannibal Corpses's "Frantic Disembowelment" and sounding pretty damn fat. Good cabs make all the difference, as they often tend to do.

Quote by Magero