Right. I replaced the stock neck humbucker in my Peavey with an old PAF from an 89 JEM. Thing is, its ****.

It sounded great in the bridge of my squier. But now its seems weak and flat. Could I have wired it wrong? I did the earth wire, and then soldered the red and white together to the pot on the same spot.

Any help?
you dont use a bridge pickup as a replacement for a neck pickup.
Current playing with:
Cort x-6 -->Laney HCM65R

On Zakk Wylde's guitar.
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Quote by Joey Walker
Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps
Quote by blueeleguitar

Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Quote by blueeleguitar

You can use whatever pickup you like in the neck - many artists do, and it certainly wouldn't account for the weak output you're getting.
By chance, I came across this http://www.spencley.com/projectguitar/ - a guy who was fitting a DiMarzio PAF (which is what's fitted in JEMS) and he had the same problem, and solved it.
Considering the PAF is intended as a neck pick up............

Well does anyone know about the wiring as its old? I know the bare wire is the earth but then there is a white and a red that come from one wire. Are they both hot and get soldered to the pot? Because thats what i have done
All I can suggest is that you take the white to hot and the red to ground - if the pickup sounds out of phase i.e. hollow sound, then just reverse the connections.
Quote by blueeleguitar

That doesn't explain it because dedicated bridge pickups usually run hotter than neck pickups to compensate for the tighter string oscillation.
Quote by reeced
All I can suggest is that you take the white to hot and the red to ground - if the pickup sounds out of phase i.e. hollow sound, then just reverse the connections.

He's right. You should ultimately have 2 wires connected to your ground and one to your switch (hot).
Hi, I'm Peter
I think it's to reduce noise. One grounds the chassis of the pickup while the other completes the actual circuit.
Hi, I'm Peter
Right I tried that and still no luck. I can get it to work, but it is just sounding too flat and weedy, not like a ****ing PAF!!!!

ANY ideas before I have to rip my guitar open again???