My guitar teacher has given me the assignment to compose a song that uses Major 7th chords 'cause we discussed them the previous lesson. Since I am not used to using these I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips when to use 'em and why they sound good or bad at a certain place in a song. I'm rather new to writing my own songs, I know how major and minor scales are made and how to make chords using a certain scale and that certain progessions sound good (I-VI-IV-V and stuff like that) and I can sometimes add a 7th but other then that I don't know all that much about music theory yet. Thanks in advance!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
In major keys, you can use the maj7 at the I and IV chord.

Also, V7 leads great to Imaj7. In case of G7 -> Cmaj7: GBDF -> CEGB. That's just one whole step movement and a half step movement, with two voices staying at the same place.

Other than that, just use your ear! I can't be any specific here.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I would basically use a Major7 chord wherever you would use a major chord but would like a minor sound to the song.

I'm sure someone will come along and say "NO, FOOL!" but that's how I would do it.

EDIT: Except for the V chord, because that should be a dominant 7th.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
A major 7th doesn't really give a minor sound, it just gives a different more flavourful and interesting sound. Although, I do see what you are saying since if you voiced it with the 3rd in the bass, you would have a Xm6 chord.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.