Iv been looking into getting a Fender Jazz bass lately but im a bit confused over certain parts of them.... Iv highlighted in red & green what has me confused.

Red Cirlce = Is that a metal casing going over the bridge? If so what purpose does it serve?

Green Rectangle = Again has that metal plate got something to do with the pickups?

Im just not sure what the proper name is for these parts and why/what there for!

In advance, thanks for letting me know
Quote by hexagram244
Iv been looking into getting a Fender Jazz bass lately but im a bit confused over certain parts of them.... Iv highlighted in red & green what has me confused.

Red Cirlce = Is that a metal casing going over the bridge? If so what purpose does it serve?

Green Rectangle = Again has that metal plate got something to do with the pickups?

Im just not sure what the proper name is for these parts and why/what there for!

In advance, thanks for letting me know

they are just protector plates, easily removed if you want. ive seen more in stores withouth them than with, so i wouldnt be to concerned about them.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
you could potentially use the plate over the pickup to anchor your thumb on while you play.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
they're simply aftermarket parts for looks, easily removable :-)
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
they're just for looks, they're called bridge or ashtrey/pickup covers... it doesn't make a difference in sound, just adds that extra chrome to your jazz bass for the more vintage look.
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
as stated, they are pick-up covers. they are not aftermarket parts. they are original factory parts, found on all, new Fender Jazz basses, in the early years. the cover over the bridge is nick named the ashtray, because thats what most players used them for, after they removed them. some reissues have them today. a true collectable, vintage Jazz bass, must have these parts included, for maximum value.
I think it affects the sound, although very minutely. Something about the magnetics.

They look cool too, but chances are you won't have them on your bass if you're buying new, unless it's a re-issue.